It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Thats it Ive had it Im done

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User
Thats it Ive had it Im done

I went to the neuro today. Im mad. He spent more time talking into his recorder device for hos computer. Asked me some questions. I couldnt finish answering them because he would click his mic and start recording my answers. I guess a talk to type program. He tested my strength. Hit my knee cap a couple of times. poked me with a needle to see if I could feel if it was sharp and told me that my neuro exam was finished and it was normal. WHAT THE WHAT???? Is this normal?? Then he says that my doctor didnt send over my bloodwork results. And that was that.

So I am done. No more doctors. They are dumb flips. I would use an expletive, but this is a public forum. I will treat it naturally and legally. The way I see fit. What am I supposed to do when I am written off like this? Is this a normal neuro test? I am so lost and devastated. I just want to cry. I am just done. I cant do this anymore. I cant afford it.

I do want to thank you all for the info and support. Thank You!

The following user gives a hug of support to dove062476:
movielover40 (09-04-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to dove062476 For This Useful Post:
guit30 (06-18-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Thats it Ive had it Im done

Hi there. I am not sure what you went to the neuro for, but it does sound like a pretty basic neurological exam. Checking your reflexes, your ability to feel pain and asking questions. Did he have you walk for him? He might have done that if you were experiencing any sort of foot drop or dragging of your feet.
Did he test your strength in your arms, asking you to hold your arms out and not let him push them down? Same with your knees- did he hold your feet and ask you to push down with your knees or feet?
Depending on what you are seeing a neurologist for, there are many different types of neurologists. Some only see migranes or stroke patients. Some have a special interest (and usually fellowship) in MS or Parkinson's or ALS.
Not all neurologists are the same and if you saw a general neurologist for something specific, you may not have seen the correct one.
I wouldnt give up...not if you are feeling badly. Instead, try to see a neuro who specilizes in whatever it is you are thinking you need to rule out.
MSNIk

Old 06-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dearest dove,

I don't blame you for feeling so aggravated and discouraged. I went back and read some of your previous messages to get a better understanding of what you deal with. I'm so sorry that doctors are not schooled in every subject. They are just humans. They can't help anyone that is not within the scope of their training and understanding. Probably it's not even humanly possible to know everything about every aspect of the body.

I don't think you are crazy at all; I just want to encourage you to let go of the MS assumption so that you can take care of issues that you know of that can be taken care of. Driving yourself crazy with trying to get doctors to agree that you have MS is doing just that...driving you crazy. It's just as likely if not more likely that you have other imbalances and don't even have MS. And no one knows what causes the symptoms that end up being called MS, anyway. So it isn't going to hurt anything at all to think past it.

There is no quick solution or cure for Ms, but there are things you can do or try that very well may alleviate the symptoms you have. Doing those things might alleviate symptoms even for MSers, who knows? Doctors don't know everything there is to know about any disease.

I suggest that you do stop seeing neurologists for now and go to a Naturopath doctor that has high Yelp ratings. Talk to him/her about your symptoms and esp. about B12 and thyroid. Just those two things being imbalanced can cause ALL of the woes you are experiencing, esp. B12. I know because I am thyroid deficient and lately discovered I am also B12 deficient. It is astonishing what low levels of those does to the body and brain. Increased doses of either of those will not immediately stop the symptoms, when supplemented, either. It takes time, weeks and even months for the body to re-balance and heal. The body isn't a machine that turns on and off. It is a living organism...just saying, honey, be patient with your body and those that can help you take care of it. Getting wound up doesn't help it recover.

Not blaming you, just encouraging you to make yourself relax. And get some over the counter B100 (Not B complex, which is not at all properly balanced) and take it every day. Stress uses up our B vitamins and those vitamins are not readily available in the foods we normally eat.

My insurance allows me to see an endocrinologist that understands these things, so if your insurance will cover an endo look for one that specializes in metabolism and or hormone balance. Most specialize in diabetes because that's where the money is....usually those doctors know little to nothing about the metabolic system. To help you find a great doctor, ask at pharmacies if they will give you names of of doctors or nurse practitioners that prescribe thyroid or natural female hormones. That is how I find my great doctors. Usually those professionals know about the utter importance of B12. You might only need an increase. Then call the offices and find out if they take your insurance, etc.

I hope this gives you a new direction and some hope. I have been through the hectic process of trying to find doctors that knew enough to help me. It was people on the internet that shared their knowledge and experience that helped me get in a right direction.

I know some of what you get is nay-saying and that's normal, and it also is helpful, so allow yourself to get pointed in another direction. Don't get down; take it as encouragement to think beyond the box of your own thoughts. Explore beyond what you have been thinking and you will discover some answers, I am positive.

Love,

Last edited by Administrator; 06-17-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

THere's an old saying in the medical community - know what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school? DOCTOR. You really have to do your own due diligence. As the previous poster said, research for the doctor who specializes in what you need. We all need to be our own advocates. I too encourage you to look elsewhere than MS for a dx. You need to explore other options and you need an open mind to do that.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User

Since posting this in June, things have changed quite a bit. I have completely changed my diet...yet again. It has helped a lot! I have had only one episode, it only lasted a few hours. I was able to increase my walking time. I feel better, but still have quite a bit going on.
I did have to go back to my primary care doc for a follow up of some blood work. My thyroid is fine, my liver has improved. My diabetes still needs a bit of work. My Adrenal Adenoma has not grown and is not producing hormones. (the doc said that the adenoma could be causing many of my problems, since its not growing or producing hormones, its not causing them)
I have had a lot of time to think about what may be causing this. I can type in my symptoms to the search bar and the most common are lupus, ms, fibromyalgia, and I cant remember the other... Ah, lyme disease.
Here is what I do know...
RA-23
Lyme- Western Blot positive, Elisa negative(actually 1 below positive result)
Thyroid-normal
B12- deficient
Vit D- deficient
EBV- positive
Adrenal Adenoma- Present, not growing
Xrays, scans- All normal, no arthritis
I do have a slipped disk, however all this started about 2 years before it slipped.

A couple of new things...
Muscle spasms have become more frequent an in new parts of my body. Mainly my left foot. My middle toe will either stick straight up, down, or to the left. The spasm will also happen in the arch and the heel. Yes it is painful.
I have increased my walking, but my muscles still cramp and spasm after about 5 minutes. Ive just learned to keep walking.
Not only is my left hip still locked, my left knee has locked along with my ankle. My ankle doesnt lock as often. And oddly, my right elbow. My lower left arm muscles spasm along with hands. My hands still get sore if I use them too much.
The things I have changed,
nearly 100% organic ($2.50 for an organic cucumber, no ty)
Exercise: walk, bike, swim. Believe it or not, biking is much easier on my body, as is the water, but my pool is small and cooler weather will be here soon. With the cooler weather coming, I will be experimenting with some new exercises.
But, thats where I am at. The visit with my doc about my test results, I told her what happened at the neuro appt, she asked me if I wanted to go to another neuro, I said no. Infectious disease doc, I said no. She felt horrible about the neuro she sent me to. You just do not interrupt a patient when they are explaining symptoms. They WILL miss something important. I couldnt get in more than a few words before he pressed his recorder. No warning, he would just press and talk while I was in mid sentence. talking over me.
But that is where I am at. Im sure I forgot something. Thank you for the suggestions and reading through.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

B12 deficiency can be causing all of your symptoms. Have you researched that?

I discovered I have B12 deficiency, myself and my doctor ordered weekly B12 injections. It is no fast fix, but I definitely feel the difference.

And, you may have blood circulation issues. I know I do.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User

Yes, I have a b12 pill i take. Or try to remember to take. I dont understand the deficiency considering my mainly raw diet, with chicken, fish, sea food and rarely red meat( its hard on my stomach and intestines). Im allergic to pork ( i swell so bad). And I have at least 1 egg per day. I was told to stay away from unnatural preservatives (chemicals) in food. I was told this may be causing it as well. That part pretty much cleared my migraines. But I have explored everything from clean eating to deficiencies, food allergies, autoimmune, infectious, hereditary. I am just at a loss. Today was another day of a heel cramp and the muscle under my lower eye lid has been spazzing for the last 2 hours and wont stop. The muscle from my lower back to my mid thigh decided to tighten and cramp crossing the street. That one hurt! Ugh. Its just getting worse, and I cant find a cause. And I keep thinking to myself "What am I missing"?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove062476 View Post
Yes, I have a b12 pill i take. Or try to remember to take. I dont understand the deficiency considering my mainly raw diet, with chicken, fish, sea food and rarely red meat( its hard on my stomach and intestines). Im allergic to pork ( i swell so bad). And I have at least 1 egg per day. I was told to stay away from unnatural preservatives (chemicals) in food. I was told this may be causing it as well. That part pretty much cleared my migraines. But I have explored everything from clean eating to deficiencies, food allergies, autoimmune, infectious, hereditary. I am just at a loss. Today was another day of a heel cramp and the muscle under my lower eye lid has been spazzing for the last 2 hours and wont stop. The muscle from my lower back to my mid thigh decided to tighten and cramp crossing the street. That one hurt! Ugh. Its just getting worse, and I cant find a cause. And I keep thinking to myself "What am I missing"?
With all the muscle spasms you are having, I wonder if your calcium or magnesium might be low. These can be measured in blood and can be supplemented for symptom control. B12 deficiency is common in autoimmune disoders and perniciou anemia, inability to absorb b12 from gi tract.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User

Magnesium and calcium are normal. I hate milk, but I like yogurt and cottage cheese and regular cheese. And I like making my own cheese and yogurt. So clean and good!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

There are doctors that treat people by the textbook and doctors that are problem solvers. Sometimes whats normal for one is just not normal for another. The reference ranges are statistics that calculate for 95 percentile meaning that its not normal for 5% of the population.

I have a lot of cramps too. Their in specific areas right side of throat, left abdomen, left lower back either hamstring if I bend my knee 90 degrees, mostly left calf, across bottom of my foot and toes. I don't know what it means - I do get relief in the lower body ones from taking magnesium.

I hope you figure out what it is. I just had a physical and all came back normal for me too.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

I want to add that many do not adequately assimilate B12 from diet or by taking pills. I have to take it by injections that I give myself once a week.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
curiouscastanza
(male)

curiouscastanza HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
THere's an old saying in the medical community - know what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school? DOCTOR. You really have to do your own due diligence. As the previous poster said, research for the doctor who specializes in what you need. We all need to be our own advocates. I too encourage you to look elsewhere than MS for a dx. You need to explore other options and you need an open mind to do that.
The due diligence issue is spot on. Doctors (and not all doctors to be sure) seem too busy or too self-interested to take the time to explain things to their patients. They seem to just expect people to follow their orders like sheep in a lot of cases. I also believe that they are far too lazy about researching the most current treatments...especially if they are not drug based. Recently, my wife had a recurring cough and the doctor just gave her some steroid nose spray and told her she had hayfever - she doesn't!

Reply Reply