It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Ended Up In The ER

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User
Ended Up In The ER

Wednesday night I had such bad pain I ended up in the ER. The pain on the left side of my torso got so bad, I couldnt stand up straight. It came in waves. I couldnt breathe. The muscle is still a bit sore. After the pain started to subside, I felt a migraine coming on. Then the left side of my body started to feel weird. Then the left side of my body was numb and my back was tingling. I had realized that I was having another episode/flare. Uggh. This needs to stop. So, they did a scan of my abdomen, no kidney stones. They dont know what it was. I got my release forms. It said back pain. WTH??? What is wrong with doctors? I didnt go in with back pain? I called the ER manager the next day. I told her i didnt go in for that and asked if the numbness and tingling and migraine were entered in the information. Nope. Wasnt there. I expressed to her how I didnt appreciate being written off, ignored, and symptoms completely overlooked and not even acknowledged. I told her this is probably why I havent gotten the right diagnosis after 13 yrs of searching why I am having these symptoms. My face was still a bit numb yesterday as well as the left side of my tongue. Along with some muscle spasms that had continued from the night before. Then there was one going from my neck down to mid back. I am so annoyed, hurt, angry. I was having an episode right in front of the doc and it wasnt even acknowledged. I just want to cry! It doesnt make sense. Why would a doc do such an ignorant thing??? So, I went to my pcp yesterday. She ordered a CT. Hopefully she added an MRI. Ill have to check. How do I get the docs to listen? I keep thinking I am not getting my point across?? Am I not using the right words??? Or are they really THAT ignorant? This episode/flare is by far the worst I have ever had. The muscle cramps and spasms are only getting worse. I have a slipped disk, but that slipped about 2 yrs after I started having symptoms. And this muscle cramp/spasm happened far from my back. What am I doing wrong here? I mean, its been 13 yrs?!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Ended Up In The ER

Dear dove,

I understand the frustration. I always expect to need to do my own research of symptoms and possible reasons before I go to a doctor. They need some info to go on.

Pain & headache by it self is really a vague description. Pain can be from stressed or tight muscles, sitting in an inappropriate chair at work or home, an injury like a fall, a need for a change in diet or any number of issues that a doctor can't really discover on his or her own, and, really cannot fix. If your tests and exam results all look fairly normal, and you have no idea why you have pain how can anyone else figure out the cause of your discomfort?

Please don't be offended by my questions.
Do you exercise or work out or do daily stretches? If not, that in itself can be the cause of a great deal of severe discomfort and pain.

What is your diet like? Are you sensitive to any types of food or substances? Are you ever exposed to chemicals or scents that might give you a headache? have you fallen down? You need a record of incidences of when symptoms occur or a doctor has nothing to go on in order to make a diagnosis or figure out a cause of the symptoms.

I used to regularly have severe headaches. I had a lot of stress in my life. Because of an accident i can't exercise or walk or even sit without pain. Periodically I need some physical therapy or a massage, or to use over the counter pain relief. Does doing any of those self-help things help you?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User

No offense taken.
Yes for the food. I have many food sensitivities/allergies. This was a sudden onset. Out of the blue I was having mild reactions, but they interfered with my daily life and sleep. Everything from digestive problems to waking up 10 times per night with a sneezing fit. I literally woke up many times mid sneeze. Went to the doc, he gave me a blood test for allergies/sensitivities and I have like 3 pages worth of food and medicines and herbs and preservatives to stay away from. Since following the results of this blood test, this has improved dramatically. I havent woken up in the middle of the night mid sneeze. I started eating all organic to get away from the preservatives, however somehow I miss the ocassional preservative and I pay dearly for it. Ive gone as far as changing soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste.
I have many times where I have lost my balance. I thankfully have a wall or chair with in reach when this happens. I fear for the day when I wont have something to grab on to. There have also been many times I will be walking and my left knee will just give out. Or a muscle spasm in my leg while walking. I am a dog walker and pet sitter. I walk about 1-2 hours a day. I stretch. I just started getting into my pool an doing dome exercises. Its helped as well, but only temporarily. When I went to the doc, I found out I had lost 15 lbs. YAY! I am hoping the weight loss will help with my hips. Hasnt so far, but we will see.
I am still having some mild pain from the other night when I went to the ER. It scared the crap outta me! Standing in line waiting, a little cramp here and there on the left front of my belly. Driving home its getting worse, I am leaning to the left while driving. I get home, it gets worse...then bam! Wave after wave of muscle cramps/spasms. It starts to calm down and I get a migraine coming on. My left side just starts going numb and tingling in my upper back. Muscle spasms everywhere, small, but everywhere. Once i felt that migraine coming on, I realized I was having a freakin episode/flare...what ever they want to call it. But it just gets me that the doc was so ignorant and dismissive. Each symptom could be a piece of the missing puzzle that could give me a diagnosis. If I know whats going on, it can get treated. Its baffling how a doc could be so ignorant and dismissive.

The following user gives a hug of support to dove062476:
YaYagirl (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Dove,

OK, I went back and read through your posts.
I absolutely do believe your suffering is real, but it seems that there it is not disease or physical deformity or injury causing your discomfort.

I have physical deformity from severe injuries gotten from an accident I was in when a teenager. That info is not at all to minimize your suffering, which I do believe is real. I'm just explaining that the accident taught me that how we stand, how we sleep, how much we sleep, what we eat, etc. all contribute to either physical suffering or well-being.

At least until you get a disease diagnose, you can help yourself significantly by taking magnesium citrate and B 100 vitamins (NOT the time released kind), both of which feed and relax muscles and nerves. In fact not getting adequate amounts of either of those can cause extreme physical suffering that can feel like we were hit by a truck (which did happen to me).

It is worth it to scrimp on something else to save enough to get regular deep tissue massages. I like to see osteopath doctors because they know how to do deep tissue massage and manipulation. Without those doctors I would not be physically functional.

Until you get any other DX, why not give that therapy a try?
And, try yoga you can do at home with a CD. Stretching is so important, esp. if one has a nerve-muscle disease. We must do that for ourselves, even if we have a DX.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hon, your symtoms seem so much like mine. I think people like us do need to avoid the emergency room. The staff there is only trained and equipped to take care of emergencies like broken bones or heart attacks. They determined that you are not bleeding to death or dying. That's all emergency staff can do. They simply are not trained or equipped to solve or deal with years long mystery disease/issues.

I understand the symptoms can be very scary. One time my husband called an ambulance due to some very scary physical symptoms. I was kept in the hospital until it was determined that I was safe. Better safe than sorry, but now I know my heart is fine, and that my nerves, muscles and ligaments were berserk. But berserk nerves isn't an emergency.

It's been proven that I am not diabetic, either, and now my thyroid level is fine for me and I have no serious disease. However, I am very food and substance sensitive. I have to pay attention to my diet or suffer severe consequences. I eat fresh unprocessed foods and use hypoallergenic everything. No scented anything for me. Right now I am on a trial of weekly B12 injections.

Those things are all discovered on trial basis. So you may need a doctor that can help you discover what imbalances and sensitivities you may have. Maybe an allergist can help with that. Though, even if you have no allergies it doesn't mean you have no 'sensitivities'.

Seriously, the suggestions I previously shared could be your saving grace. Look up B 12 deficiency symptoms. You might be amazed at what all that can cause. Also, we don't get adequate regular B vitamins from food. We would have to eat raw grain or take brewers yeast to get enough. and that affects nerve health.

All of this reminds to to go take my supplements. I get pill rebellion and I stop taking them, which is to my detriment every time that I do it.

Can you try anything I mentioned? It has to be tried for a few weeks, not a few days. Those things don't 'work' like drugs. They help the body (nerves) relax and handle stress and pain.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-09-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You said they looked at your kidney and didnt see stones. Did they also look at your gallbladder? The symptoms you describe, including the back pain, could be gallbladder related. please make sure when they do the CT scan that someone looks at this organ as well.

I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be gallbladder related. Once they removed it, the styptoms stopped. Good luck! I hope its nothing! Please let us know what they find on the scan!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
dove062476
(female)

dove062476 HB User

The gallbladder is ok i think. If I remember correctly, the gallbladder is on the right. My pain was on the left. (please correct me if Im wrong) My back wasnt hurting. It was my left side. Came in waves. Very strong waves. When I went to my pcp the next day, she gave me baclofen to use as needed as directed.The muscle is still a bit sore. I hate taking meds. Hopefully I wont need it.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You are correct that the gallbladder is on the right; however, gallbladder pain can radiate anywhere in the abdomen. My pain was on the left as well and I did not have back pains...but when they did the CT scan, (and then an MRI it showed that it was my gallbladder.

Once having it removed, the pain stopped. Just make sure someone is looking at it just to be sure it looks normal. You can also have a HIDA scan to see if it is functioning properly.

Reply Reply