It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Neck injections

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
neck and back
(male)

neck and back HB User
Neck injections

I am scheduled for a 3rd neck injection, and I'd like to know the specific difference between the 3 injections.
I had a similar round several years ago in my L4L5 spine, with denervation finally giving me relieve.

Can a doctor or experienced patient tell me the difference between these neck injections?
1) a Z joint injection
2) epidural
3) block

My doctor said that the "block" was necessary before the "denervation". I realize that the denervation is actually to kind of "burn" the nerve ending away from the affected area.
Just curious if there's a simple answer description for the differing steps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Neck injections

I dont know if I can help you since I am not familiar with Z joint injections unless this is the same as what my doctor calls a trigger point injection? I have had several of these, where they inject steroids right into the muscle.

When that stopped working, I had another type of injection called a facet joint injection. This time it went between the muscles, into the nerve. This did nothing for me.

Eventually I went for the nerve block which is also known as an ablation. They literally ablate (kill) the nerve to stop the pain. This was done in an outpatient surgery center, under fluoroscopy, or a type of xray, which allows the doctor to see exactly where he or she is injecting the laser to sever the nerve. THIS WORKED! I have not had neck pain since this was done 3 years ago..

Does this help?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
neck and back
(male)

neck and back HB User

Thanks very much...
I think I'm on track with the process I'm in.
The first 2 injections ( Z Joint and epidural) are the prelims to the block. If the block works as well for me as it did for you I'll be thrilled!
If not, I guess the denervation would be next for me.
Fingers crossed for this weeks injection!
Brad

Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. The epidural steroid injection is given to help with pain and inflammation. They are often given in a series of three for maximum benefit.

The "Z joint" injection is another name for a facet joint injection as the name for a facet is zygapophysial joint...which is quite a mouthful, so it is sometimes just abbreviated to the first letter, Z. It can be given with just steroid medication for pain or with an added anesthetic that temporarily numbs the facet joint and can be used for diagnostic purposes too.

A block usually refers to a nerve block which is given to try to determine which nerve or joint is causing pain. It has a temporary numbing agent in it which will block the pain for a period of time. If the right nerve or joint has been found, the pain will return as the medication wears off. If the nerve block is successful, a radio frequency ablation can be performed...which is the denervation.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
neck and back
(male)

neck and back HB User

That makes total sense to me....thanks very much people!
The block I'm scheduled for this week will tell them where the denervation needs to happen That's why I am being asked to keep a very specific "daily pain assessment diary" the follow week, that asks me to rate the pain and any changes every day.
Again, I'm grateful for all the info! Hope this will end my ailments for a while once I've completed the process!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Specifically make note of the time pain begins to return, if you are pain free, or close to it, after the injection. It can be a matter of hours rather than days.

I usually post on the "Back Problems" board. If you have other questions about neck or back issues, you might find answers or ideas there, or on the "Spinal Cord Disorders" board....

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
neck and back (09-12-2017)
Reply Reply