It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

I can't take it anymore, its been 6 years ...

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Tdub1978
(male)

Tdub1978 HB User
I can't take it anymore, its been 6 years ...

My frustration is off the charts. I am a 39-year-old mostly fit, active guy. 16 years ago I had a bicycle accident and injured my shoulder. My last surgery was 6 years ago this past July. Day one after surgery, more pain than before. Nothing has changed. It hurts to put my socks on, pull up my pants, reach down to tie my shoes, pull the covers up in bed. It is a deep cutting pain. Not really constant but always there with most movements.
My last surgeon completed a rotator cuff repair, removed a bone spur, and 'cleaned up a large amount of bursitis'. I've made appointments, seen other doctors, they all want to do surgery again though there is no visible tear on any scan. I am so incredibly hesitant because it has only gotten worse with surgery. Today and for the last several years I have been on a pain management program which solely consists of my PCP giving me 150 oxycodone per month prescribing 5 per day. I HATE them. They make me grouchy and irritable. I have tried with some success to get off of them, take otc medicines such as advil or tylenol. Within weeks the pain becomes too much and I am back on the opiods. I cannot bare the thought of dealing with this for years and years. I am depressed and desperate for relief. I have tried compound creams, essential oils, pt, natural pain relief. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I can't take it anymore, its been 6 years...

I would keep going to surgeons until you find one which will show you EXACTLY what he wants to do, what he thinks it will do for your pain and can tell you how many times he has done this exact surgery successfully.

Unfortunately, it does sound like you need additional surgery to correct whatever it is that is causing you so much pain. My husband went through knee surgery 3 times before his pain was gone- and he was as frustrated as you are and angry at every doctor; but in the end we realized, the first surgeon messed up by cutting something he shouldnt have; the repair which he tried to do caused additional scarring and issues..it wasnt until we found a much better, more skilled surgeon who could go in and fix the damage that he started feeling better.

I hope you get relief soon! Living with daily pain is horrible.

Reply Reply