It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Tongue Clicking/Bizarre changes with Mouth??!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Aaron2011
(male)

Aaron2011 HB User
Tongue Clicking/Bizarre changes with Mouth??!

For the past 4 years, gradually getting worse --- I have felt as though my mouth is shrinking. My tongue has developed a click, against the roof of my mouth. This is NOT a tic, it's something I HAVE to do in order to not choke, continue breathing and take in saliva. The click is audible to outsiders. I have been diagnosed with TMJ, but most doctors just pass it off as a relatively meagre issue. I have no history of mental health issues, other than depression and anxiety which I'm on meds for. There is little space on my tongue for food, so I chew with the front of my mouth and can't taste much. I get full up half way through meals.

My voice is also affected, I'm a 28 year old male with a fairly deep voice but I find myself often having to really concentrate in order to not come across as a female, especially after salt. I think it's because my tongue changes position. Especially with different accents, though some are favoured, ie a Rasta accent produces more depth than upper class English. My digestion is extremely weak and I often resort to online colon cleansers, ie oxypowder, which does nothing for long term wellness and in fact the opposite is felt. I've seen my dentist but they have nothing useful. Please, help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Tongue Clicking/Bizarre changes with Mouth??!

Dear Aaron,

I think all of this is anxiety based.

My mouth is extremely dry, too. That means I have to take smaller bites and chew longer. There is not a lot of space between tongue and roof of mouth for anyone that I know and I know a LOT of people.

I suggest that you add some moisture to your food, take smaller bites, chew very well, then swallow. The doctors are right, this is not a serious problem.

A lot of people are so sure that others are listening to and paying attention to every detail about us, and our anxiety exaggerates it in our minds. Sure, if out of anxiety you make a clicking sound others can hear, they may notice.

But you can take a sip of water, or not eat in front of others. You also can stop using salt if it bothers you. There is already plenty of salt in foods. For digestion, get probiotics or try other digestive aids at a health food store. There are ways you can help help yourself.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Reply Reply