It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Numb leg question - 23 year old male

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
holly777
(female)

holly777 HB User
Numb leg question - 23 year old male

I am an over-worrier with all health related issues when it concerns my kids, so please bear with me.

Last night, my 23 year old son suddenly got leg numbness in his left leg - to the left of his shin. He orginally thought it has "fallen asleep" as he was sitting cross-legged on his left leg. But, there were no pins and needles, just numbness. It started at 11:30 pm and by 2:30 am (when I went to bed) it was still there. He has not woken up yet, so I don't know if it is gone. He had no other symptoms - no difficulty walking, no back pain, etc. It was very bothersome and he was getting quite concerned because it was so sudden and odd and lasted so long. If it continues today, should I take him to a clinic or wait it out?

A friend mentioned this could be a symptom of MS, so now I am freaked out. I know that is jumping the gun. Amy thoughts???

Last edited by Administrator; 09-24-2017 at 07:22 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to holly777:
YaYagirl (09-30-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Numb leg question - 23 year old male

Dear holly,

YES, way jumping the gun! There is no reason at all from those symptoms to think MS. That friend was not being a good friend to mom or son. Mom stressing out doesn't help son. He needs reassurance. So if you have to worry, do keep that to yourself, or between you and appropriate, healthy thinking adults.

Sitting can cause numbness and definitely sitting cross-legged can cause cramping and numbness. They don't instantly go away when the legs are uncrossed. You can teach son to sit up straight, legs uncrossed. Good habits will benefit him as an adult.

It may help you to consider where that worrying habit stems from. It really doesn't help you or son. Was someone in your childhood like that?

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-30-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Numb leg question - 23 year old male

MS would never be a first thought.....back issues or sciatic nerve impingement would be my first thought.

If it persists, then get it checked out. Lifestyle and work and type of exercise and posture can have a lot to do with that feeling.

Keep us updated on how he is today.

q

Reply Reply