It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Physical pain causing mental(?)

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Kemushi
(male)

Kemushi HB User
Physical pain causing mental(?)

So I know that there are many neurons in the gut, so it isn't that surprising that physical symptoms (of my UC) have an effect on my mental state. However I have noticed that recently it isn't just that when I feel bad physically I also feel bad emotionally. Instead many times I am not even aware of any physical discomfort, I just get depressed or anxious for seemingly no reason, but then I discover later that I am actually really bloated or I start getting diarrhea or something like this, which explains the mental side of it. So I realize that my mental discomfort was caused by some form of physical discomfort that I just couldn't feel. This isn't just about my UC, many times I can't even tell that I am tired, cold, hot, hungry, etc. because I don't feel those discomforts, instead all I get is a seemingly out-of-the blue mood change. Or like the latest example, that prompted me to start exploring this is, that 2 days ago I started feeling anxious and really depressed, but it was much stronger than what I am used to. I stayed in bed for these 2 days, and slept through most of it. After this time I started having symptoms of a classic cold or flue. Once I realized that I am actually just sick, my anxiety and depression subsided.

However even now, I can tell that fe. my throat "hurts", but I don't really feel the pain, or at least it doesn't bother me, instead I just feel weird mentally, like I am not myself. This is very strange, and I don't even know how to research this, because if I try to search all I get is results about how emotional pain causes physical pain, but my "condition" is just the opposite of this. Is this even a thing that exists and has a name, or am I just so accustomed pain and discomfort that I just ignore it automatically, and my mental issues are not really related, but maybe are just triggered by these events?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Physical pain causing mental(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemushi View Post
This is very strange, and I don't even know how to research this, because if I try to search all I get is results about how emotional pain causes physical pain, but my "condition" is just the opposite of this. Is this even a thing that exists and has a name, or am I just so accustomed pain and discomfort that I just ignore it automatically, and my mental issues are not really related, but maybe are just triggered by these events?
Definitely, what goes on in your lower digestive track will likely have an effect on your mood or mental state. Research has indicated this. Microbes in the gut are in constant contact with the brain by way of the Vagus Nerve. This community of microbes is sometimes referred to as Microbiota or Microbiome. So those are the key words you need for further research. Good luck.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-02-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Physical pain causing mental(?)

Dear Kemushi,

I had been researching ways to help a relative with digestive and mental/emotional health issues, came across your thread and it does seem that you discovered quite a factual connection. It always seemed so, but now I believe mental/emotional issues are directly related to gut issues.

After reading your thread I began researching, and indeed probiotics appear to be extremely important to mental, emotional health. Here is just a little of what I have found...
Microbiota and mental health
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26528128

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604320/figure/F1/

Fascinating! Thanks!

Reply Reply