It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Looking for some help, please.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
    redheadj
    (male)

redheadj HB User
    Looking for some help, please.

Hey there. Iím hoping I can get some advice as I feel at the end of my tether.

First a quick bit of info about me. Iím a 34 year old male, who weights 158lbs, trains four times a week at the gym and donít smoke or drink.

Around 4 weeks ago I was performing a bench press movement at the gym and felt like the palm of my left hand was being crushed. I stopped the movement and rested for a little while before completing my session at the gym.

Around a week later I began to feel tingling in the little finger and ring finger of my left hand, as well as discomfort on the inside and outside of my armpit.

Concerned that I had pulled a muscle or something, I booked an appointment at my local physio that I had this Monday just gone. He performed an examination, as well as a deep tissue massage and acupuncture to the area and couldnít figure out what was wrong.

It felt a little better (although part of my chest is still sore from the massage) but Iím still getting discomfort in the arm pit area, as well as feeling my hand pull across the front and back of the hand when I try to touch my thumb and little finger together. Iíve also had the odd twinge and warm feeling in the elbow, and in the shoulder blade.

As if this wasnít enough, two days ago I began to feel light headed. I woke up this morning to find that had gone, but that Iím now deaf in one ear. I originally put it down to wearing earplugs to bed, but it hasnít gone and I still canít hear anything. What makes it worse is that when I hiccup or burp, I get a massive pain in the ear as if thereís a bubble or something in there.

I donít know if these things are all separate or connected, but I suffer with anxiety if you havenít guessed, so Iím trying to stay as calm as possible, but itís proving hard when I can feel so much Ė worried that I have the dreaded C or something just as serious with the body.

Any help or advice would be amazing. Thanks everyone ☺

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Looking for some help, please.

Dear redheadj,

It could be a vascular issue or a pulled nerve or muscle. At the least why not get it checked out?

There is absolutely no reason to at all be scared by this. I have gotten what I call 'shocks' for years, because of the results of an accident, my ability to move is restricted.

You must teach and make yourself to calm down (yes, you can do it). When nervous go for a run. It's easy to get random nerve reactions.

The stress of worry and fear of the unknown is the worst kind of mindset in regards to health. We CAN train our minds to not go to worst case scenario.

Maybe try yoga, not just working out. It's easy to do at home.

Last edited by yayagirl; 12-14-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
    redheadj
    (male)

redheadj HB User

Hey YaYaGirl, many thanks for the reply

Trying to stay calm is definately something I need to do. I've suffered with anxiety most of my adult life. Will be checking out yoga in the new year as it's something my gf wants to do too - so will be a nice thing to do together.

In terms of the symptoms. The tingling in the fingers has gone (or at least I haven't noticed it in a few days). The only problem now, other than the blocked ear, is the discomfort in the armpits. It's not so much a pain or ache, but more like when you wear clothes that are too tight around the area and it digs in. Only I don't wear tight clothing, which is weird. I was at the gym this evening and the discomfort seemed more prevalent after specific sets, so I'm wondering if this is a muscle/tendon issue.

Will try and book an appointment in my doctor next week.

Thanks again x

Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

You're very welcome, redheadj.

Well, I was a very anxious young woman, which was a carry over from some rather terrible childhood experiences I had not understood and had personalized. When older, some counseling helped me realize what were my own mistakes and that which was someone else's responsibility. It helped me understand that I am not the one holding up the earth I live on, so to speak, and that I can choose to let go of (forgive, when necessary) the mistakes of others. That really set me free. Of course growing is always a work in progress. It was a huge relief to learn that there is nothing saying that I of all people am the one that has to be perfect - as if i could.

Doing something physical helps the body relax, which helps the mind shake off the stressful thoughts so we can tell ourselves that the sun keeps coming up and all is well.

Yes! working out can be healthy, but also when done too long or the wrong way it can over stress the body. A pulled muscle can't be fixed by a doctor. Rest it, apply heat or cool it, take a pain reliever that works for you, whichever helps. A very warm bath with Epsom salts is rejuvenating and can lessen pain.

We need to learn how to work out. I'm sure even the most fit can stress a body part. An ear issue can be from water that got into the inner ear in a shower. I'm sure that it will go away. Maybe put some cotton in your ear for a day (be gentle, don't pack it in).

You're doing just fine!

Last edited by yayagirl; 12-14-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    arm, ear, pins and needles