It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Does anyone have feedback if these symptoms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User
Does anyone have feedback if these symptoms

I normally don't make health posts on the internet...Heck, I've never had to before. However, the since around July of 2017 has been hell and only getting worse. I've been refusing to go to the doctor lately as I don't have the hope of them finding anything wrong anymore. My wife says she would like me to see an endocrinologist, that's what brings me here. I'm about to ramble on my list of symptoms... I would like anyone's feedback if they could be anything revolving around the endocrine side of things, especially adrenal system.

Symptoms are as follows:
Migraines/headaches
vomiting
nausea
flank/abdominal pain (lower)
dizziness
unintentional weight loss (70+ pounds now...since I was overweight my PCP shows little concern)
Weakness
Chronic infections, such as bronchitis, shot immune system
Depression
*It has become nearly impossible to do daily activities I used to do to all these symptoms*

Is it worth seeking out an Endocrinologist in anyone's opinion here based on these symptoms? Thanks for your time and I pray/hope/wish for responses of any kind... Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User
Re: Does anyone have feedback if these symptoms could be Endocrine related?

Throw out endocrine/adrenal related then...Does ANYONE have ANY feedback on what could be going on here and any ideas on which direction I should go next?

Old 01-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Does anyone have feedback if these symptoms could be Endocrine related?

Not knowing what you've looked into.....gallbladder, colon, h.pylori....etc...

Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User
Re: Does anyone have feedback if these symptoms

4884 ANA AUTOIMMUNE PANEL REFLEX TO FARR Received -CPL LAB BI- All Clear
1055 SEDIMENTATION RATE
3545 C-REACTIVE PROTEIN
Urinalysis - Slight protein level, moderate amount of blood in urine
2124 LIPASE Received -CPL LAB BI *Clear*
9180 COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL + e-GFR *Calcium level 10.8 on a scale of 8.5-10.5
1000 CBC W/AUTO DIFF Received -CPL LAB BI * F RBC 6.04 H 4.10-5.70 (M/UL) F HEMATOCRIT 50.9 H 37.0-49.0 (%) F MONOCYTES 13.2 H 4.0-13.0 (%)

5591 H. PYLORI (BREATH) Received -CPL LAB BI *Test was negative*
CCLCIUM, IONIZED *5.74 on a scale of 5.90 being high, so seems normal*
10/24/2017 2814 INTACT PTH * F INTACT PTH 29 11-67 (PG/ML). Well within the normal range*
10/24/2017 5046 PTH RELATED PEPTIDE Interface. *within normal range*
10/24/2017 1022 PATHOLOGIST SMEAR REVIEW *Results were normal*
10/24/2017 4221 CREATINE *Level was normal 54.2 on scale of 9.0-90.0 *

Sorry for sharing these results, figured this would clear up what I have been tested for, however. I'm not entirely sure what all of these tests were for, but these are the tests I've had since complaining of the symptoms I listed.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Seraph
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Yes, what tests have you already had done?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No ultrasound?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User

No ultrasound...No imaging tests of any kind have been ordered. She seems content to test my blood periodically and even after no resolution or problems were detected. In December, she stated to me since I'm overweight the weight loss isn't something to be concerned about? This really made me question her logic... I explained this is really taking a toll on my life and she scheduled me for three months...I was pretty deflated. She explained when I expressed concern that things like this can "take time to diagnose." It's gotten to the point I'm not sure she'll ever figure out what's going on... It's grown to frustration for me at this point.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

I stumbled across this after looking at your labs. Your Calcium level is elevated which often means a parathyroid gland problem. They must have suspected something along those lines because your PTH (parathyroid hormone) levels were tested. They came back normal.

Here's the part I stumbled on because that just didn't make sense to me. There is a rare disease called Familial benign hypercalcemia. There is some info on it at NIH.gov and more than a few of your symptoms are on that list such as abdominal pain, nausea vomiting, headache, fatigue. You may need to expand the short list to see all 19 listed at the site below.

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10828/familial-hypocalciuric-hypercalcemia

I don't know if this has been considered and don't know enough about other tests that may have been done but maybe an endocrinologist would be a good place to start.

FWIW imho you need a better pcp. No pcp should ignore an unplanned 70 lb weight loss. I don't care how overweight you may have been. That needs a good explanation in my book.

How to bring this up and get a referral may be tricky.

very late edit- after doing a little more reading, I may be totally off and your problem may be something much simpler but I would still ask for an explanation for the high calcium level and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. High calcium levels may also cause the symptoms you're dealing with.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Last edited by Harri3t; 01-08-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #9
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

HangingByThread,

I can't imagine why a doctor would not be suspect of extreme unintentional weight loss, as if it was some kind of 'gift'. I know some insurance companies require a referral, but usually you can find a good endo that does not focus on diabetes as many do, and call and explain you had a sudden unexplained weight loss and and that you want a second opinion about it and ask if you can get an urgent appointment. You might call the Mayo clinic nearest you and explain the symptom and ask for expert doctor's names.

Then phone your insurance company and tell them you have unexplained extreme weight loss and a list of other symptoms and that you want a second opinion pre-approved. Usually they have to pay for outside the medical group second opinions. And, usually youalso need to already know the doctor's name because they will ask the name of who you want to see.

The time it takes to diagnose something includes taking the time to look at all possible angles.

Or, pay out of pocket for another opinion, then sue the first doctor for not doing further testing. Frankly I don't know if you could, but I sure would feel like suing.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 01-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User

Thank you, everyone, especially Harri3t and YaYagirl. I will explore this FHH and try to get a referral to see an Endocrinologist. As far as the Mayo Clinic goes...I really wish I still lived in Iowa as if nothing else I could've gone to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics or the Rochester Mayo Clinic site. I guess there is a Mayo Clinic in Arizona I could explore. I might do as you suggest and ask for expert names from them. In the meantime tomorrow I will call my insurance tomorrow and ask for the second opinion pre-approved. Thank you so much for the support and ideas. It means a lot to me. I will update this if I find anything out anytime soon.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #11
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

With 4 of the listed symptoms no one has mentioned gb? What's your billirubin level?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Bilirubin has always been part of the comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) results I've had done. It looks like a CMP was also done. That was where the elevated calcium result came from.

Two more questions HBT- Did they test your Vitamin D levels? And was some sort of biopsy done? The report of a pathology smear isn't clear about what was examined. It may have just been your blood sample that someone looked at under a microscope but thought I should ask.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
HangingByThread
(male)

HangingByThread HB User

F BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.4 <=1.2 (MG/DL)
F VITAMIN D, 25 OH 16 L SEE BELOW (NG/ML) *Sorry forgot to include this, thanks for bringing it up!*
- ADULT:
- INSUFFICIENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NG/ML <20
- SUBOPTIMAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NG/ML 20-29
- OPTIMAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NG/ML 30-100
So that's really low even though I'm not a hermit inside? I'm a pretty pale guy and I guess that's due to the low vitamin D levels?
As far as a biopsy, nothing has been done. I didn't even receive a physical examination from this doctor other than feeling my stomach. Wasn't physically looked over, etc. No scans or x-rays as I stated above, so there are no indications of needing a biopsy. As far as I know and hope.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are a lot of reasons for a low Vit D. It could be tied in with your elevated calcium and a possible parathyroid problem but I'm no doctor.Please try to get that endo consult.

That your doctor missed addressing the low Vit D makes me think all the less of her. I'd look for another pcp that is a better gatekeeper.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I also suggest for you to see another GP.
Are you at least on vitamin D supplementation?

As well, since you have chronic bronchitis, request a pulminologist. Maybe a stress test done as well.

An endochrinologist could give more insight and do more specific testing expanding from the results of testing already done.

Continue with demanding further testing.
Please keep us updated

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-09-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Reply Reply