It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Slightly elevated WBC and low grade fever

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
    KarKor
    (female)

KarKor HB User
    Slightly elevated WBC and low grade fever

A few months ago I started having a low-grade fever almost daily. It will go away for a few days and come back again, but I have it most days. I had bloodwork done and my WBC was 14.5 and Neutrophils 9.0. The rest of my CBC and urinalysis was normal. I feel totally fine. No swollen lymph nodes, no fatigue, nothing else to indicate an issue other than the fever.

About a month ago I was having constant abdomen pain. Very non-specific, just an ache all over. My Dr. ordered an ultrasound of abdomen and there was nothing abnormal. The pain went away right after the results came back (of course!) Perhaps it was due to me worrying?

Now we are still trying to track down the source of the elevated WBC and ran more tests. Thyroid fine, no autoimmune or inflammatory issues, no parasites, no STDs.

I am concerned that this could be leukemia especially since my "normal" WBC was on the high end of normal (9-11) for many years. Should I be seeing a hematologist at this point? My primary care doc doesn't think so (the WBC would be higher) but doesn't really have any opinion on what to check next either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Slightly elevated WBC and low grade fever

I am wondering how it was determined you have no inflammation or autoimmune disease. Also, what is the percentage of your neutrophil count? It should be on the lab report and the percentage of lymphocytes would be helpful if you have that. Inflammation is tested by sed rate and CRP. Were these done? Sometimes they are normal even when there is inflammation. Leukemia usually has WBC counts much higher. Yours are in the infection/inflammation range. Your age and gender is also a factor. With abdominal pain, things like diverticulitis won’t show up on ultrasound. Since the fever has been going on awhile, I think a consult with a rheumatologist and perhaps an infectious disease dr might be helpful. A hematologist will likely do an ANA, complement levels, and some tests similar to a rheumatologist would do. If abdominal pain is gone and fever is persisting, I would see a rheumatologist first. Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
    KarKor
    (female)

KarKor HB User
    Re: Slightly elevated WBC and low grade fever

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    I am wondering how it was determined you have no inflammation or autoimmune disease.
    These are the blood tests I see on my reports:
    ANA Screen, Sed Rate, C-Reactive protein (CRP), Rheumatoid factor (RF)
    These were all normal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Also, what is the percentage of your neutrophil count? It should be on the lab report and the percentage of lymphocytes would be helpful if you have that.
    The neutrophil percentage is 65. That shows it is in the normal range but the neutrophil count by itself is a little over normal.

Reply Reply

Tags
    leukemia, low grade fever, wbc