It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Should I be concerned?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
    ccross131
    (male)

ccross131 HB User
    Should I be concerned?

Over the past few weeks, I have found myself tripping over words (meaning to say one word but saying another mid sentence) and sometimes having trouble finding the correct word. Each seems to happen once or twice daily. I'm worried this is the first sign of a brain tumor. Can anxiety also cause this? I'm a very anxious person, always thinking the worse. I'm sure this is just another example.

The following user gives a hug of support to ccross131:
    yayagirl (12-03-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Should I be concerned?

Dear ccross,

Definitely even the tripping over words easily could be from the anxiety.

Definitely jumping from trouble with finding the correct word to fear that you have cancer is a huge leap. If, God forbid, you ever are diagnosed with cancer, that is soon enough to think about it.

Hon, you need to get into counseling and discover where the fear and anxiety is coming from. It likely has nothing at all to do with your physical health. You can learn to tell yourself this rather than allowing fear to control your thoughts. I think it is normal to sometimes wonder what is going on. Someone taught me that we cannot think two thoughts at once. We can choose what we dwell on. You can tell yourself, "there I go again, worrying over something I don't know is true". and you can choose to think about soothing subjects.

Love,

Last edited by yayagirl; 12-03-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
    ccross131
    (male)

ccross131 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
    Dear ccross,

Definitely even the tripping over words easily could be from the anxiety.

Definitely jumping from trouble with finding the correct word to fear that you have cancer is a huge leap. If, God forbid, you ever are diagnosed with cancer, that is soon enough to think about it.

Hon, you need to get into counseling and discover where the fear and anxiety is coming from. It likely has nothing at all to do with your physical health. You can learn to tell yourself this rather than allowing fear to control your thoughts. I think it is normal to sometimes wonder what is going on. Someone taught me that we cannot think two thoughts at once. We can choose what we dwell on. You can tell yourself, "there I go again, worrying over something I don't know is true". and you can choose to think about soothing subjects.

Love,
    Thanks for the reply. I over stress about little things. Yesterday I couldn't remember the word manicotti while at the store with my wife. That set off my brain tumor fear. Then later at night I was talking to my daughter and meant to say unicorn and it came out as uniform and the anxiety started all over again. Then I run to google and all that comes up is brain tumor and cancer topics. Its a vicious circle.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Are you having headaches or seeing or writing words incorrectly?

Everyone forgets words.... I tend to make up words, lol.

Question....what else has changed recently? Any diet or health, med changes?
    I suggest you discuss with your doctor and have blood tests, especially vitamin b12 and d.

q

Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear ccross,

You are welcome.

Very definitely to be healthy you MUST get control of your fears. Hon there are free anxiety support groups. Ask around. Allowing ourselves to stress over little things really is much more harmful to our health than we might imagine. The brain in wonderful but if you fill it full of what ifs it just causes confusion!

We need to learn what is 'small stuff' and in fact most things on our minds are small stuff.

Google is not your friend.

Google is not a doctor.

Google does not know you.

I recommend that you stay off google unless you are looking for directions on how to cook a steak or how to change oil in your car.

Consulting google about your thought life is asking for trouble.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #6
    Margot87
    (female)

Margot87 HB User

If you're concerned about tripping over words you can try consulting a neurologist.

I also have this problem of thinking about a cancer while encountering a bizarre symptom. When such fear is extreme, it's called carcinophobia. Because of Google, it's becoming increasingly popular

Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccross131 View Post
    Over the past few weeks, I have found myself tripping over words (meaning to say one word but saying another mid sentence) and sometimes having trouble finding the correct word. Each seems to happen once or twice daily. I'm worried this is the first sign of a brain tumor. Can anxiety also cause this? I'm a very anxious person, always thinking the worse. I'm sure this is just another example.
    The simple answer is, "sure, anxiety can be the cause." However, being that we know so little about you, there's no way to know if it might only be a contributing factor and not the whole story. For example, what if part of your problem is diet related. If that's the case and you go to see a medical doctor, it's likely that even your doctor won't know everything.

But at least a doctor will know a lot more about you than we do.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

New research shows a link between gut flora and mental health. Having a healthy community of bacteria in one's digestive tract seems to have an anti-anxiety effect. Prebiotics serve as food for good bacteria and there are prebiotic supplements that one can take. But prebiotic supplements may be expensive to take long term, so I recommend eating a high fiber diet. A high fiber diet is what keeps good bacteria happy and thriving. You should get 5 grams of prebiotic fiber per day. If you just concentrate on consuming a wide variety of high-fiber foods (25grams of fiber per day) you will likely get the 5 grams of prebiotic fiber.

Certain high fiber foods are higher in prebiotics than others: Bananas, fresh onions and fresh garlic cloves, oatmeal, wheat bran, etc. But it's likely that many high fiber foods will have some, so just concentrate on a wide variety of high fiber foods like fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds.

There are foods that work against having a healthy community of bacteria: They are highly processed, low fiber, fast foods - foods like soda, ice cream, pastry, candy, baked goods made with white flour, sugar and other ingredients. That means you need to concentrate on eating mostly natural whole foods as mentioned above.

If you're not use to eating a lot of high fiber foods, it might be best to change your diet gradually. Everyone is different so you just have to play it by ear.

Try this and see if it helps with your anxiety. Hopefully, you will begin to see some results in a couple of weeks as good bacteria multiply fast when fed the right foods. Good luck.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-11-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (01-11-2019)
    Reply Reply