It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Some advice please ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User
    Some advice please ...

Been having pains in abdomen, bowels, rectum, testicles, and also constipation. Pelvic CT and testicular ultrasound negative, blood, urine, stool all negative. Doctor said check back in six weeks. Unfortunately things aren’t getting better. Have thought it might be anxiety over all of this, but relaxation, etc. doesn’t make the pains go away. A 2nd opinion said Ibs brought on by anxiety, but I wasn’t worried about anything until the symptoms started. What should I do or where do I go from here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Some advice please...

Are you seeing a primary doctor or a Gastroenterologist? A GI doctor would be your best bet.
    At this point, being scoped- a colonoscopy or endoscopy might be your best bet to make sure there is nothing causing this. Have you had any of these tests? What tests have you had?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User
    Re: Some advice please ...

Just the pelvic ct, testicular ultrasound, blood work, urine work, stool. All negative. Testosterone within limits. Found borderline hypothyroidism on one test, but gone the next. Today was interesting. Had back pain where I never have before, middle right, so I went upside down on an inversion table to stretch, seemed to have nausea the rest of the day. Earlier this evening brushed my hand past my belly button, it was bleeding, continuously for about half an hour. Wife sent me to instacare, they think it’s a cyst, but he said he saw a small umbilical hernia. He referred me to a surgeon to check more tomorrow. Have been “brain foggy” all evening. Crossing my fingers they figure out what’s going on, and that it’s not serious. 🤞

Last edited by steelah1; 02-26-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Am referred to see a surgeon in the morning, should I talk to them about a colonscopy, even though I'm guessing the navel bleeding/pain may be a separate issue? Doesn't seem to be associated w anything serious other than infection...

Last edited by steelah1; 02-27-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Just got the abdominal ultrasound done, of course they never tell you anything other than your doctor will call you w results. Technician kept checking the center of my upper abdomen, scratching his head, think your pancreas and gallbladder are there. Awaiting results....

Old 03-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

If nothing comes back from the ultrasound, then a colonoscopy is the next test to have...but it has nothing to do with the belly button. The US will show the gallbaldder and other organs-so they will be able to tell if they are normal or not from the test.

Do you have a good GI doctor? See one..there are so many other things this can be from fungus to bacteria- GI doctors have tons of tests at their disposal which can help figure this out.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    steelah1 (03-04-2019)
    Old 03-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steelah1 View Post
    Been having pains in abdomen, bowels, rectum, testicles, and also constipation.
    Constipation can cause abdominal pain and perhaps bowels and rectum? Did any of your doctors ask you anything about your diet? What if all your pains are due to constipation? Did they ever consider that?

Are you on the Paleo, Adkins, or other similar diet/regimen? How many grams of fiber do you get per day? In order to keep your bowels working properly, you should aim to get 25 grams of fiber per day. That means you should be eating fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, etc. - enough so that you get 25 grams of fiber per day. If you haven't been doing this you will need to adjust to it gradually.

As long as you might be waiting for the colonoscopy anyway, why not try eating a lot of fruit and vegetables etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    steelah1 (03-04-2019)
    Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Ugh, no reply on the ultrasound, meanwhile aches and pains in new places every day. Would be great if this were just anxiety!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Scheduled a consult w the gastrointerologist in a few days, still waiting for the ultrasound results. Ironically, that doctor does colonoscopies as well lol

Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Had to call again this morning, the person who answered apologized for sitting on things for the last three days, apparently they've had some rotation issues w receptionists. She had the doctor call me a few hours later. He said abdominal ultrasound was completely normal (which of course was shocking to me!) and said "so are we making you belly-buttonless or not?" The cyst I orginally went in for needs to be removed cause it started bleeding a week ago, has been causing minor problems over the last several years, and that's what I originally went in for last week. Removing the navel he said will virtually guarantee I don't need to mess with that again. He also said my abdominal pain issues could most likely be caused by IBS.

All of this didn't make my issues just stop (especially the weird vision issues and groin pains), so I've decided to take a two-tiered approach. I'm going to see a gastrointerologist on Tuesday for a consult (I'm 47 and will have to get a colonscopy in 2.5 years anyway), and I'm contacting my general practitioner to get started on Zoloft or Prozac or something. Of course I'm also getting the belly-button removed, my wife said she's navel neutral. :P

Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wait to make decisions until you see the GI doctor Tuesday. All GI doctors do colonoscopies and other tests which can dx or rule out IBS- and they have other tests they can do for other GI related issues.

I started having colonoscopies at age 35 and now at 52, I have had one every 3 years. No big deal. I would so much rather have this test than so many things that can go wrong...colonoscopies are life saving tests!

Let us know what the doctor says and good luck.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Thanks, will do! I'm scheduled to talk to the gastro Doctor in a few days, and will "spill the beans" and get his opinion. On the bright side, w a pelvic/abdominal cat scan, two ultrasounds, and lab work all negative, if in the off chance it is something serious, it's definitely localized.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Colonscopy and Endoscopy scheduled in two weeks. GI doctor said my scans all look really good, but w some of my complaints, wants to see what's going on. He was pretty cool, and very knowledgeable, said it could be IBS, or a lot of things. And apparently, the recommended screening age has dropped to 45 anyway, it's not wait until 50 anymore. So I'm overdue!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...have you been checked for h. Pylori? Gluten intolerance.

Hope the scopes reveal nothing serious....but at the very least the GI can suggest looking at diet intake and maybe making some changes.

Please let us know how the scopes went.

Just want to add ...have you had back issues?

q

Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
    steelah1
    (male)

steelah1 HB User

Yeah, but it's hard to pinpoint since I also have degenerative disk disease in l4-5 for the last several years. GI prescribed me some heavy duty antacids, they seem to have helped a bit, get less pain at my middle back and bottom of rib cage. GI doc did say it could be h pylori, and that the *scopy's will be a good starting point in testing. Also getting a urachal cyst/possible hernia removed next week, I've actually read about cases of those causing intestinal issues, so hoping that resolve some if not all issues. Will update later, thanks for your input!!

The Following User Says Thank You to steelah1 For This Useful Post:
    quincy (03-15-2019)
    Reply Reply