It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Gut disorder w/severe depersonalization/brain fog

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
    mickie278
    (female)

mickie278 HB User
    Gut disorder w/severe depersonalization/brain fog

Hey guys!

Iíve been dealing with a unique, awful undiagnosed health condition for the past 15 months and as Iíve had no luck with any doctors I thought I would see if any of health community groups online would have any ideas. Iím 21 years old and a junior in college and have had to take time off of school because the mental and physical pain is so extreme and my health has completely derailed my life. Looking for any advice or solutions, even if just partial!

My head and gut have become completely linked, I cannot have a clear mind or escape the feelings of depression when my gut is in pain.

This began two Decembers ago when I got a wisdom tooth infection and took Amoxicillin for a week. A month later I got my bottom two removed, and it went fine, but they prescribed Amoxicillin yet again. About 3 days in I had a severe anxiety attack while on the antibiotics and the next day I woke up feeling extremely sick and nauseous and lost all emotion and sense of self. I lost all appetite and lied in bed all day. Luckily, the next day things seemed to clear up.

About a week later I came down with a bad case of the flu and thatís when all of the same symptoms came back. I was on ibuprofen and flu medication, not sure if that affected anything. On about day 4 of the flu I woke up with a burning sensation in my stomach, felt an extreme sadness I couldnít place, and felt nauseous unless I was drinking something like a smoothie. I went to the ER that night and they gave me an anti-nausea medication but it did not help.

My condition got increasingly worse and I wasnít able to function, I couldnít think or do schoolwork, I had no emotional connection with friends or family and was scared and paranoid most of the time. While I have struggled with anxiety for a large part of my life, I had never struggled with depression or depersonalization or had any significant health issues before this, apart from a bit of IBS and bloating. I developed some asthma when walking, I lacked the energy to do anything, and I was scared of all foods thinking it would worsen the pain somehow, even though nothing seemed to feel okay.

15 months later, and I still have the majority of the same symptoms - although slightly less burning as Iíve been avoiding coffee and magnesium. I have been to multiple GI doctors, Mayo Clinic, Infectious Diseases dr, Psychiatrist, Neurologist, and physical therapist.

The strangest part of my condition that no one - especially not me - understands, is that the only things that have been able to clear up my symptoms briefly are:
    1. Certain Probiotics (off and on relief lasts maybe 2-3 weeks)
    2. Zoloft for the first 3-4 days
    3. Starting a new fiber/laxative supplement like prune juice or magnesium (works for 2 hours-a day or two)

Whenever I start one of these, my body has a significant reaction, with stomach gurgling and tight back and shaking, increased anxiety etc. But for some reason it clears up my stomach and along with it my brain fog + depersonalizarion. I can go from drowning in a sense of hopelessness in one moment, to suddenly feeling okay and messaging people back, laughing, making plans, etc. This just solidifies the fact that I am struggling with a physical disorder and not mental (although I have developed depression on top of this.)

Iíll try to keep it as brief as possible, but here are my main symptoms:
    -Extreme brain fog (chronic dissociation/depersonalizarion/derealizaton, my worst symptom)
    -Head pain and tingling , mainly near temple area (medication does not help)
    -Chronic stomach burning, left side, omeprazole made the problem worse and Tums do nothing
    -Chronic sick to stomach feeling/bloating
    -Nausea from stomach to throat with no vomiting
    -Severe dry mouth and dry eyes
    -Tingling in hands/feet
    -Constipation (I was diagnosed with a pelvic floor dysfunction)

Conditions I have already been tested for with negative results:
    -I had an endoscopy/CT scan, no ulcers or anything noticeable found
    -Sjogrenís Syndrome
    -h. Pylori, Diabetes
    -Multiple sclerosis
    -Celiac, SIBO breath test
    -Stool exam (low in inflammation and low candida levels)
    -Lymeís, Crohn's Disease

Medications/remedies I have tried:
    -Multiple antidepressants (Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, now Effexor)
    -Remeron, Bupropion, Omeprazole , Aspirin/Tylenol
    -Acupuncture, Massage, Epsom Baths, Herbal Teas

I plan to go back to a naturopath but honestly not sure how they are going to be able to help me. I would appreciate any ideas from you guys on what this could be or remedies. I realize itís a very odd problem and I donít really understand it any better. Iím not looking for diet recommendations, even though diet is extremely important to most gut disorders it is not what is causing my problem. I have been through a thorough candida diet with antifungals following and saw absolutely no relief, i had symptoms of die-off but they led to nothing, and my stool test seemed to indicate I do not have a significant bacterial overgrowth issue (a shock to me).

The effectiveness of certain probiotics/my bodyís reaction to Zoloft have been the only clues, so if anyone knows of any type of drug or herbal supplement that could trigger this sensation to last more than a week I would really, really appreciate it. I apologize for the length of this! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Gut disorder w/severe depersonalization/brain fog

Hi there. I noticed that you listed in your testing MS...but you did not have a MRI. There is absolutely no way to rule out MS without a MRI. I have MS.

It is common that when you are having severe anxiety, it can affect your gut health. It sounds like all of your symptoms are being triggered by your anxiety about your health- and the meds you are on. Some of what you wrote does not line up...Zoloft for the first few days? Zoloft takes weeks to kick in. But, psychologically, if it is helping you when you first start to take it, that lines up with this being anxiety.

What does the psychologist have to say about this and have you tried any long term anxiety medicine?

Reply Reply