It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Had blood test but no full blood count done?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
    louiset

louiset HB User
    Had blood test but no full blood count done?

Hey,

I just received some blood test results that included Vitamin d, thyroid, CRP etc and the auto antibodies. However, there is no basic haematology, no red and white blood cells, no platelets, iron, etc, all the things that I thought would come automatically in the blood test were not tested for?

Regarding the results I was given, the only abnormality was vitamin d deficiency and the rest was normal. However it just seems annoying that a full blood count was not carried out, previously this had always been included so I'm a little confused.

Would you go back and ask for a full blood count? Is it worth another appointment to request this or should I just leave it?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Had blood test but no full blood count done?

Depends on when you had the tests done last, and what the doctor wants regarding your symptoms. Have you had these checked last time as well? When do you see the doctor next?

q

Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Had blood test but no full blood count done?

If this is within 5 days of having the blood drawn, there is a chance that the lab still has your blood and your doctor can order these additional tests without you needing another blood draw. If it has been more than 5 days, you are out of luck.

Why did the doctor order the blood work? Was he/ she trying to rule out something? They usually only order the tests they need to order... Full blood count may not be necessary if they are looking for vitamin deficiencies or a SED rate...

Call your doctor and ask. It can never hurt to advocate for yourself.

Reply Reply