It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• New Here/First Post

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
    manmar
    (female)

manmar HB User
    New Here/First Post

Thank you for reading.

I'm in my 70's, fairly good health and have well controlled HTN. My CMP showed my calcium level at 10.6 (range 8.7 - 10.5). I was instructed to stop taking calcium + D3 and return in 3 weeks for a re-check and a PTH test. My symptoms are back ache, headaches at night which may be due to ceiling fan over my bed and some mild cognitive issues which may be normal at my age. I'd appreciate any reply. Thank you, Mar

Previous readings;
    2017 9.6
    2018 10.4

Last edited by Administrator; 08-08-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: New Here/First Post

Hi manmar,

Welcome to HealthBoards

Why did you start taking D3 and what was the dosage?

Why did you start taking calcium and how much?

Do you lack calcium in your diet?

Do you get much exercise?

Do you stay hydrated?

About ceiling fans: I never use mine because I find them to be dehydrating and annoying.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear manmar,

If you never got gall bladder issues before all of this time, you lucked out. Not that there is a set time for it just that many of us get them earlier. I totally agree with your doctor; and you can go back on your calcium and vit. D later. Your body probably cannot process it for now. But none of that caused the gall bladder to conk out. They just do, usually at an earlier age, but not always. It seems to me that we females are more prone to this. I remember when it happened to my mother, and back then they did not have the simple surgery methods we have today. If you had your fan on before and did not get headaches I doubt this is related to the fan. I have one in my room. All it does is cool your skin.

To resolve the GB issue, the only solution is gall bladder removal. It is a rather simple surgery. It is a rather simple surgery, but it needs done before the gall bladder ruptures. A burst gall bladder can cause a long recovery and more pain, but you can still recover if that happens. I would ask the doctor to get you set up for surgery ASAP. The sooner that is over with the sooner you will recover.
    And be aware that the recovery experience and how long it takes differs for each person. My diseased GB had burst. So I had searing (but tolerable) pain in my back for a few months while my body was getting the GB toxins out of my body. There are common symptoms but how the symptoms present and when they occur are unique to each person. My mother's GB issue occurred in her mid 50's. Mine happened later than hers.

Read some info about it here ~
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gallstones/symptoms-causes/syc-20354214

Some get symptoms that don't seem related but they are. I had stabbing pain in my back that seemed more like a back muscle issue, between my shoulder blades. Sure enough it was from my gall bladder. Removal is the only solution.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
    manmar
    (female)

manmar HB User
    Unhappy Re: New Here/First Post

Good morning John. Thank you for replying.
    Calcium 1700, D3 2400. This is not including food intake which includes milk. I don't exercise regularly but do walk a lot.

My doctor told me to take calcium (1200 mg daily). I also take Centrum Silver and Osteo-K which accounts for the additional calcium.

I really don't drink water. Of course now I've started.

I'm really concerned over possibly needing the surgery. I'm hoping my count will go down but then I read that surgery is a must! Needless to say I'm frightened!

Thank you again for the reply.
    Mar

Old 08-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Hi again,

The normal dosage of calcium for adults with osteoporosis is 1,000mg to 1300mg per day. The normal dosage of D3 for those aged 70 is 800 IU daily.

Some years ago I read an article by a doctor who said that high blood levels of D3 can raise your blood level of calcium to the point of being too high. So he recommended staying within the normal reference range for D3. He said there's nothing wrong with a blood level of 20 nanograms, while the normal range is stated as 20 to 50.

So it's quite possible that your high blood level of calcium is caused by too much D3.

About back ache: In the past I used to get back aches for two reasons. 1) I let myself get dehydrated and 2) I overused my back muscles by doing some work that I don't often do.

Whether or not your back ache is caused by something more serious, I would have no way of knowing. If you suspect something more serious, you should consult your doctor.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
    manmar
    (female)

manmar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Hi again,

The normal dosage of calcium for adults with osteoporosis is 1,000mg to 1300mg per day. The normal dosage of D3 for those aged 70 is 800 IU daily.

Some years ago I read an article by a doctor who said that high blood levels of D3 can raise your blood level of calcium to the point of being too high. So he recommended staying within the normal reference range for D3. He said there's nothing wrong with a blood level of 20 nanograms, while the normal range is stated as 20 to 50.

So it's quite possible that your high blood level of calcium is caused by too much D3.

About back ache: In the past I used to get back aches for two reasons. 1) I let myself get dehydrated and 2) I overused my back muscles by doing some work that I don't often do.

Whether or not your back ache is caused by something more serious, I would have no way of knowing. If you suspect something more serious, you should consult your doctor.

Thank you very much for your reply John and the information. I hadn't realized just how much D3 I've been taking. I certainly hope this is the cause of my elevated cal level.

I've had a painful back most of my adult life so maybe I'm just more tuned in to it now.

Could I have done damage to the parathyroid glands? If so I would hope it can be corrected with medication.

Mar

Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
    Tree Frog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

The best treatment, manmar, always would be to stop overdosing on the supplements. Overdosing creates an unnatural imbalance that can be more harmful than not getting enough nutrients.

Back pain can safely be decreased by building a good core of muscle.
    Can you work out at home or at a gym?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
    manmar
    (female)

manmar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tree Frog View Post
    The best treatment, manmar, always would be to stop overdosing on the supplements. Overdosing creates an unnatural imbalance that can be more harmful than not getting enough nutrients.

Back pain can safely be decreased by building a good core of muscle.
    Can you work out at home or at a gym?
    Hi Tree Frog,

Thank you kindly. I really appreciate the responses. Most informative!

I simply didn't realize how much D I was taking. I've discontinued all supplements/vitamins until I see my GP on the 29th for another calcium and hormone test.

Yes, I am able to work out at home. I don't know how helpful it would be since I have scoliosis and fractured vertebra in my upper back but it's worth a try.

Again, thank you!
    Mar

Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #9
    Tree Frog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Exercise is exactly what makes the calcium we do eat get into our bones. It is always helpful, manmar, to stay limber and work our muscles, esp after having experienced broken bones.

I suggest that you open a window and turn off the ceiling fan and to at least walk if you cannot do any other exercise.

A calcium and hormone test will not reveal how much you need. If you don't have osteoporosis you don't need to take supplements. Even if we do have it we have to exercise for the calcium we eat to get into the bone.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
    manmar
    (female)

manmar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tree Frog View Post
    Exercise is exactly what makes the calcium we do eat get into our bones. It is always helpful, manmar, to stay limber and work our muscles, esp after having experienced broken bones.

I suggest that you open a window and turn off the ceiling fan and to at least walk if you cannot do any other exercise.

A calcium and hormone test will not reveal how much you need. If you don't have osteoporosis you don't need to take supplements. Even if we do have it we have to exercise for the calcium we eat to get into the bone.
    Thank you Tree Frog. I appreciate your suggestions. I will begin walking again. It is just so hot at this time of year, I'll have to use a treadmill. Come fall, I'll hit the streets again.

Nowadays we can't open the windows! No telling who will "drop" in!

Reply Reply