It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Where oh where can i find a surgeon to remove my hardware??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
    Zyx9010

Zyx9010 HB User
    Where oh where can i find a surgeon to remove my hardware??

Hi,

I was hit by a car a couple years ago and my surgeon in the ER told me he would remove my hardware after the bones healed. He repeated this to me several times at follow up visits to his clinic.

Unfortunately he moved and I can't get an appointment to see him anymore. I've seen two orthopedic surgeons and they both told me they wouldn't do it. What is up with that??

Im a furniture maker by trade, I just want my plate and screws removed. Is this such a hard thing to do? Why do I feel like I have to travel to far off places, searching for the fringes of society for a surgeon to remove this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Where oh where can i find a surgeon to remove my hardware??

Several questions:
    Why did he say he would remove it?
    Why won't the other 2 surgeons remove it?
    Why do you want it removed?
    Where is the hardware?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
    Zyx9010

Zyx9010 HB User

Where is the hardware?

I asked him if the plate and screws were permanent or not.

The surgeons I saw both told me they wouldn't do it. No explanation. They both worked at their own respective hospitals so it doesn't make sense. They were orthopedic surgeons. They seem totally lazy.

Because it seems strange and weird to have metal screwed into my body forever for no further reason. Obviously a piece of metal screwed into bone is going to be causing circulation problems. I have numbness and tingling as well as problems with function, running, jumping, bending over, slowness of movement. Bones healed, nothing is supposedly wrong but nothing is normal either. The only culprit left? Metal plate and screws.

It's in my pelvis.

Last edited by Zyx9010; 02-17-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyx9010 View Post
    Where is the hardware?

I asked him if the plate and screws were permanent or not.

The surgeons I saw both told me they wouldn't do it. No explanation. They both worked at their own respective hospitals so it doesn't make sense. They were orthopedic surgeons. They seem totally lazy.

Because it seems strange and weird to have metal screwed into my body forever for no further reason. Obviously a piece of metal screwed into bone is going to be causing circulation problems. I have numbness and tingling as well as problems with function, running, jumping, bending over, slowness of movement. Bones healed, nothing is supposedly wrong but nothing is normal either. The only culprit left? Metal plate and screws.

It's in my pelvis.
    Well,..I do understand the others not wanting to remove the hardware. A lot of people leave theirs in. I had some removed because two screws were hiting nerves. If you just have to have it out, then locate the ER doc who installed it and ask who in your area would be a candidate to remove it. He may need to run interference for you

Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
    Zyx9010

Zyx9010 HB User

I found him on the board of medicine but he isn't replying to my emails. The clinic he works for told me that he no longer works for them. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to talk to him.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Outside of locating him or having some quantifiable issue with the hardware (infection, another break, mri showing some sort of issue), no other surgeon is going to remove it just because you don't want metal in your body. The possible problems for them are too great. What if these symptoms you seem to have worsen, don't get better,etc.? Then you could be suing them and that's just not a risk they are going to want to take.

Reply Reply