It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Responses to Covid-19 vs Flu

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-16-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Responses to Covid-19 vs Flu

Why don't people or businesses close over the flu if they're closing because of the coronavirus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Responses to Covid-19 vs Flu

Because it's more contagious , there is no vaccine for it and there is no "tamicovid" to treat it

Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
    esker
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

The hospitals are not ready for coronavirus patients. Slowing the spread of the virus gives them more time to prepare.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At least 136 children have died from the flu, in the US, this season. That is tragic! None have died from the Coronavirus. Out of nearly 45,000 confirmed cases in China through Feb. 11, there was only one death in someone younger than 20, and no deaths among children younger than 10, according to CNN.

Personally, although I am at higher risk, being 75 with heart failure and afib, I'm planning to go out an pick up takeouts and go to the grocery store in a few minutes. When I get home, I will wash my hands and gargle with 3% hydrogen peroxide.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At least 136 children have died from the flu, in the US, this season. That is tragic! None have died from the Coronavirus. Out of nearly 45,000 confirmed cases in China through Feb. 11, there was only one death in someone younger than 20, and no deaths among children younger than 10, according to CNN.

Personally, although I am at higher risk, being 75 with heart failure and afib, I'm planning to go out an pick up takeouts and go to the grocery store in a few minutes. When I get home, I will wash my hands and gargle with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
    This is exactly why I didn't fully understand why they didn't close all schools and some businesses during the flu season. I knew more people die from the flu than the coronavirus so I was puzzled. So basically, I guess they're closing places and encouraging "social distancing" because not enough is known about the virus right now and even though more people die from the flu, hospitals and doctors are too overwhelmed by people wanting to get tested because they're so freaked out. So they're finding it best to close places to slow down the outbreak and give hospitals time and space to study the virus more and get more tests ready.

I always thought the flu and coronavirus were just as contagious as the other. What is a way for the virus to get transmitted that the flu won't get transmitted? For both the virus and flu, you are told to stay home, wash your hands often, don't touch your face, use sanitizers and don't get close to sick people. Speaking of getting close to sick people, there's a difference between the flu and coronavirus. With the flu, you can feel sick all of the sudden. With the coronavirus, you could be infected for up to 2 weeks and not know it because it takes up to that long before you have symptoms.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liz8100 View Post
    ... hospitals and doctors are too overwhelmed by people wanting to get tested because they're so freaked out.
    I've heard people wanting everyone to get tested for Coronavirus. Freaked out or not, that would be an expensive waste of time, resources and money, unless someone is symptomatic! Someone can get infected with Coronavirus shortly after being tested. So... how often should someone get tested, every hour?... every day? ... every week?

Quote:
    I always thought the flu and coronavirus were just as contagious as the other. What is a way for the virus to get transmitted that the flu won't get transmitted?
    I guess the best source for an answer to your question would be from the CDC where they state on their website that they are still learning about how Coronavirus spreads. It sure seems like it is going to get worse before it gets better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

There were a lot of empty shelves in the super market at 11am. Meats, fruits, veggies, water, vinegar, paper products, eggs, etc. I had many WOW moments!

Old 03-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post

Untrue...a 5 year old died of COVID19 in New Jersey today.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Untrue...a 5 year old died of COVID19 in New Jersey today.
    Are you sure? I'm not finding it online. I see there was a 5 or 4 year old child infected but the child didn't die. Maybe the news is just behind on that information?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
    Markwang

Markwang HB User

I believe this relates to the nature of flu and coronavirus.

Last edited by Markwang; 03-23-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Reply Reply