It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Sudden onset of leg and other muscle pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Sudden onset of leg and other muscle pain

My dad is 80 and has developed some symptoms that we're both concerned about. Just a few weeks ago, he started having difficulty with his legs in that he has trouble standing up, and especially getting up off the floor. He says that the front of the top part of his legs hurt too. Also what he calls a tenseness in the muscles and sometimes restless leg syndrome and cramps at night. Since then, he says his shoulders are now starting to experience a stiffness that he says he often has in his legs.

This makes me wonder if there's a common problem that is starting to spread through his body. I thought I should ask about it here to see if anyone has any idea what the problem could be. I suggested he go to the doctor, but getting an appointment to see anyone right now for anything but emergencies is rather complicated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Sudden onset of leg and other muscle pain

Hi..first of all, doctors offices are mostly opened all over the country but you can also do a televisit with Zoom or Facetime.. you should call your dad's primary doctor and explain to them what is happening and ask if they want to see him or simply see him virtually. I would not let your dad sit around in pain. Give his doctor a call and ask for direction. Virtual appointments can be very helpful if he doesn't want to leave his house!

Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi..first of all, doctors offices are mostly opened all over the country but you can also do a televisit with Zoom or Facetime.. you should call your dad's primary doctor and explain to them what is happening and ask if they want to see him or simply see him virtually. I would not let your dad sit around in pain. Give his doctor a call and ask for direction. Virtual appointments can be very helpful if he doesn't want to leave his house!
    He doesn't have internet access. I do, but only public Wi-fi, and he's not willing to do things that way. He seems more content with just continuing to tell me about his problems rather than making a phone call and setting up a doctor appointment. I figured the next best thing I could do was ask here. I know, it's not ideal, but I'm doing what I can right now.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

he may be short on magnesium. There is a product in a spray bottle called crampeeze and you spray it on your legs when you get a cramp or have restless legs

Old 07-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
    he may be short on magnesium. There is a product in a spray bottle called crampeeze and you spray it on your legs when you get a cramp or have restless legs
    I actually heard about magnesium from a guy on the radio who mentioned it being good for restless leg syndrome. I told my dad about it and he bought a bottle. I'm hoping it might even help with the sudden weakness he's also having in his legs and now seems to be spreading.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

if your dad can get in a tub, or even just soak his feet, you can try a warm Epsom salt bath. It has magnesium and it's a quick way to absorb it
    Also one other thing, if he's dehydrated that could contribute to leg cramps

Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
    if your dad can get in a tub, or even just soak his feet, you can try a warm Epsom salt bath. It has magnesium and it's a quick way to absorb it
    Also one other thing, if he's dehydrated that could contribute to leg cramps
    I've gotten after him before about how he should drink more water. He started drinking more, but I'll have to ask him if he may have been slacking off lately. With the weather being so hot, I'd be surprised if he has. But then again, being hot makes even more water necessary.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Your dad could be low on D and B vitamins. A well rounded multi vitamin with Bs, D, mag, calcium could help. How is he eating?

For cramping, my MIL used to take tonic water....although it seems a bit hard on the stomach, maybe because of the quinine in it.

q

Old 07-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Your dad could be low on D and B vitamins. A well rounded multi vitamin with Bs, D, mag, calcium could help. How is he eating?

For cramping, my MIL used to take tonic water....although it seems a bit hard on the stomach, maybe because of the quinine in it.

q
    He takes a Vitamin D pill each day. It's a 1,000 IU pill. I take those too.
    As for how he eats, I can't say it's all that great, but not too bad either.
    I got him started on taking a magnesium supplement just a few days ago. We'll see if that helps. Not sure how long it will take to know for sure.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

But not a multivitamin for elderly?...

q

Old 07-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    But not a multivitamin for elderly?...

q
    I guess not. He's taking some other things. The ones I remember are Eliquis to thin his blood, 2 blood pressure medications, and something else I can' remember. As for nutritional ones, he takes Turmeric, Saw Palmetto, Vitamin D and fish oil.

I've heard that multivitamins aren't really absorbed by the body, and that Vitamin D is about the only one the body can absorb when taken as a supplement. Not sure about the accuracy of that though.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vitamins seem all over the place regarding opinions of ingredients, quality and performance. For me, a multi is something I've always taken and have added other supplementation to what I believe is needed. I'm not a health food fanatic....but I try to eat as balanced as possible

Have you considered how many blood thinning supplements your dad is on while on an anticoagulant med? A multi would be the least of concerns.

q

Old 07-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi StayFit42!

I have witnessed the effects of lack of exercise on others among the elderly. This motivated me, many years ago, to have a daily exercise program! I am 76 and I do about two hours of physical exercise each day. I do four different types of weight lifts which exercises different muscles groups; workout on my stationary bike at maximum resistance; pushups; deep weighted knee bends; 40 minutes of power walk each day.

I also eat a very healthy diet.

As a result, I am physically fit and feel great at my age. No aches or pains or arthritis. No restrictions on arm or leg movement. Healthy blood pressure and healthy blood sugar.

Does your father engage in a daily exercise program?

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Vitamins seem all over the place regarding opinions of ingredients, quality and performance. For me, a multi is something I've always taken and have added other supplementation to what I believe is needed. I'm not a health food fanatic....but I try to eat as balanced as possible

Have you considered how many blood thinning supplements your dad is on while on an anticoagulant med? A multi would be the least of concerns.

q
    I know. I've told him not to be so concerned about how many pills he's taking as much as how many of them are prescription medications as opposed to nutritional supplements. I told him he could even get Turmeric as an herb rather than in pill form. That's how I get mine. Much cheaper that way. Just sprinkle it in food instead of taking it as a pill. Same goes for fish oil. Just eat fish if you like it, which I do.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Hi StayFit42!

I have witnessed the effects of lack of exercise on others among the elderly. This motivated me, many years ago, to have a daily exercise program! I am 76 and I do about two hours of physical exercise each day. I do four different types of weight lifts which exercises different muscles groups; workout on my stationary bike at maximum resistance; pushups; deep weighted knee bends; 40 minutes of power walk each day.

I also eat a very healthy diet.

As a result, I am physically fit and feel great at my age. No aches or pains or arthritis. No restrictions on arm or leg movement. Healthy blood pressure and healthy blood sugar.

Does your father engage in a daily exercise program?
    He actually used to exercise until his muscle pain made it too difficult.

Reply Reply