It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Bruises on baby

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2001, 07:27 PM   #1
    tinker59

tinker59 HB User
    Question Bruises on baby

Help! My family is being accused of child abuse and I am absolutely positive that there has to be some other explanation.

My grandson is a preemie. He weighed 2lb.6oz. at birth. He is now 4 months old and is up to 10 lb. 11 oz. About 5 weeks ago he began to develop bruises on his body. At first they were small and didn't seem too bad. The doctor said he probably had very delicate skin and was getting them from something he was laying on. He bruises from the slightest pressure. For example, a bruise on his arm from his pacifier and the perfect outline of his little toes on the sole of his foot just from curling his toes down.

The latest bruises are on his shoulders and we believe they are from his car seat belt. They are quite large. My daughter-in-law took him to the doctor and pointed them out. Then, our nightmare began. We are now being treated like criminals.

If you have ever heard of anything like this, please reply. We are frantic. We are being investigated. We have nothing to hide. But, I'm not sure that anyone is actually trying to find a medical answer to this.

Besides being worried about the accusations, we are frantic about what could be wrong with the baby. While they are wasting time trying to pin this on someone, his life could be in danger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
    moiramurot

moiramurot HB User
    I don't want to scare you, but you have every reason to be worried. A similar thing happened in my family. It was like 1970, my parents had my sister and my brother, David. He fell off the couch while taking a nap and broke his femur. They took x-rays and to make a long story short, they took him away saying that my dad beat him. They only took him away and never even looked at my sister, he was about six months old. Years later, in 95, my sister had searched for him and found him, then we all met him. Come to find out, all the extra xrays that they said they took to prove all the other broken bones were never taken. My brother had been in the military, and they had told him the only bone ever broken was his femur. they could tell from calcification.

Anyway, my first advise (and I'll ask my mom to add anything else) would be question EVERYTHING. My dad took polygraph tests and passed and they still thought he was beating a baby, which my dad could never do. trust me. ALso, get copies of everything. This could be costly, because docs usually charge for medical record copies, but it'll be worth it. Get medical records, all reports, x-ray copies if you can. And make sure you read everything, so that if they try to slip it in, you know. I think I'd also consult an attorney, if you haven't already. We found so many errors in my brothers case.

As for what it could be. I think hemopheliacs bruise easily, but you'd know abou this, I think. Then there is that osteogenesis, where the bones are like glass, and I've read that pressure that doesn't break the bones, bruises the skin. My last thought is this...my sister in law (10) was always getting cuts bruises (that wouldn't heal) and then get bruises ontop of bruises. She would rub up against something and have the worst bruises or her skin would literally break open. A simple fall leads to 25 stitches. Just the other day we saw a bruise on her skin and asked her what happened and she said she didn't know, she leaned on the table. Well, she has something called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Which means she gets hurt really easily. I think it's slightly rare, but I'd look into that one.

Sorry this has been so long, I hope it helps, and I really hope everything turns out well.

Old 08-25-2001, 09:14 PM   #3
    tinker59

tinker59 HB User
    Thanks for your advice. We are contacting an attorney on Monday morning. I will get copies of everyting and I intend to insist that he be examined at another hospital, if this one doesn't come up with an answer.

Again, thank you. I'm glad you found your brother.

Old 08-26-2001, 08:44 AM   #4
    Brookej

Brookej HB User
    The baby should have a thorough medical exam before anyone is accused of anything. There are rare disorders out there and innocent mothers have gone to prison because of undetected rare disorders. The pacifier and toe impression you desribed seem to point to something wrong with the baby. There could be a problem with the blood clotting (not necessarily hemophilia). If something is wrong with the baby I hope it can be treated. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2001, 04:05 PM   #5
    whitewolf95
    Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
    Get a full blood work up...get all the levels tested.
    I have low iron and a few other low levels in various things and delicate skin. Mine bruises very easy and always has. So get that done...it may cost but it will be worth it in the long run. Get a second or third opinion.
    Half the time I have no clue about bruises until my hubby asks me what I did to get it.
    Good lucka nd I hope things work out.

Old 08-26-2001, 04:14 PM   #6
    GAL WITH CHRONIC PAIN

GAL WITH CHRONIC PAIN HB User
    Exclamation

Dear Tinker,

When you get the baby tested, make sure they do a platelet count!!!!

When my mom had low platelets, (it has something to do with the spleen), she bruised for no reason at all.

Make sure they do a complete workup, and be absolutely certain they check his platelets!

Good luck to you.

Old 08-27-2001, 07:03 PM   #7
    Sallen

Sallen HB User
    Also a prothrobin time...this measures the clotting factor of the blood. If the clotting factor is too low, it leads to bruises from the smallest of pressures.....

Old 08-28-2001, 05:30 AM   #8
    siouxzee

siouxzee HB User
    Also consider that indeed the baby is being abused. You are not there every second are you? No one thought Susan Smith was capable of driving her kids into the lake.

Old 08-30-2001, 09:23 PM   #9
    LauraG

LauraG HB User
    Being abused with a pacifier????

Doesn't sound likely.

Getting an good attorney, and doctor (who is more interested in finding the problem rather than pointing the finger) are definately the most important things you can do!

God Bless. (especially the wee one)

Old 09-02-2001, 11:48 PM   #10
    Ariadne

Ariadne HB User
    Some very good advice has been posted here already. I have also seen first hand how this can be blown out of all proportion by well meaning "Do gooders" A friend of my mother had a baby boy several years ago and in the first 2 years of his life he was treated for multiple broken bones. Well the doc thought he was being abused and instead of talking to the childs mother, contacted family services and had the boy taken away from her. Not once did they examine the 2 older children...anyway to cut a long story short she fought the order and had her son returned to her, after he was diagnosed with brittle bone disorder. The slightest pressure would snap his bones like twigs. So the responses are right - question everything, and if you firmly believe that the child is NOT being abused - fight it all they way. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2001, 07:13 AM   #11
    grannyrninspring

grannyrninspring HB User
    As a parent and gradparent of preemies, not to mention years of working with them...all of the ideas are good..Generally speaking, in order for the medical field to turn a case in to CPS, they observe not only the infant and symptoms, but also the primary caregivers themselves. I your daughter was, in their eyes, "overly" distraught, sorry as it seems, many will file an initial case. Your interest--even if "being treated as a criminal"--will be beneficial to a positive outcome. Most attys don't do too much for quite awhile..your best bet would be to seek a second opinion, lab tests, and possibly a mediator. By being involved as a grandparent, the authorities may step back and begin to believe your daughter...if there are other family members involved for some reason the tend to put it under a much lessor important category. Just keep your chin up and continue to provide care for the baby and support for your daughter...this too shall pass

Old 09-26-2001, 01:42 PM   #12
    femina

femina HB User
    wish I could remember exact details, but in this past year, one of the major news weeklys' (20/20,
    Dateline, etc...)I think it was Dateline featured the same scenario as yours. The well cared for and much loved infant began to have unexplained buises and spontaneously broken bones......they were accused of abuse and their son removed........It was found to be an actual rare disease, heartbreakingly, the young parents still could not get their son back as they were already then "in the system" as abusers.......Please check with these sources for info and possibly links to other parents like yourself...........

Old 09-26-2001, 01:53 PM   #13
    Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl HB User
    Please get the child tested for leukemia. A childhood friend of mine began to develop bruises (we were 11 at the time) and she discovered this is what she had. Also get a GOOD attorney-one that costs some $. Trust me, you will need it if charges are signed. Also, keep an open mind...although I would imagine that you, as the grandparent, know the parents best and you know that they would not do something like this.

Closed Thread