It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Coccyx Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2002, 05:28 PM   #1
    Lady Kentuckian

Lady Kentuckian HB User
    Unhappy Coccyx Pain

I would like to hear from others who have coccyx pain and how they cope with it. In August, 2001, I fell in the garage and I think that is when I injured my coccyx. It really did not bother me much until about October when I had to travel out of state for my sister's funeral. It was an 8 hour drive and I was in agony the entire trip. When I got back home I went to my family doctor and he had me to get xrays which revealed that my coccyx was broken in the sacral region. He thought it should heal on its own, but the pain continued. My doctor then sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who said there is little that can be done for me and that I may just have to put up with this pain. He said there is no signs of healing, and where mine is broken, he does not recommend excising my tailbone. Mine is broken higher up than is the usual place that gets broken and the doctor said there are too many nerves involved to risk removal. He said there are no other procedures that can help this. He said the one thing that may help is to get a bone growth stimulator. He said this device costs about $3000 and is not always covered by insurance. I contacted my insurance and they told me they cover this in some situations and they need to know the exact location of the break, a diagnosis, and a perscription from my doctor before they can tell me if they will cover this device for me. I will get those next week. Has anyone else in the group/boards used this bone growth stimulator for a broken coccyx and has it helped?
    I am using one of the doughnut pillows for sitting which helps some but gets to be uncomfortable after sitting for awhile.
    This really has me down that I may have to have this pain indefinitely as I have several other health conditions too. I have severe reflux that, a very difficult to control cholestrol levels, arthritis, and also get migraine headaches. I watch my diet closely, am not overweight, yet my cholestrol levels are still high. I am one of those people whose body makes its own cholestrol. Without medication, my total cholestrol was around 550, and my triglicerides were over 2000. Currently I am taking 2000 mg of Niaspan, Tricor 200mg, and (6) 1g tablets of colestid each day. With diet and medication, my total cholestrol and trigliceride levels are both at about 300. I had been walking for 45 minutes everyday before the coccyx problem, but walking makes the pain almost intolerable now. The cholestrol medications give me a lot of muscle spasms and muscle pain, not to mention the flushing, and I take muscle relaxers and Darvon when the pain gets too bad, but Darvon does little for the coccyx pain. I really do not want to get dependant on pain medication and try to use them sparingly.
    Thanks for listening and hopefully some of you will have some helpful suggestions or at least will share your experiences with me.

Lady Kentuckian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
    squirkie

squirkie HB User
    Hi there! I just wanted to let you know, that while I have not used a bone growth stimulator as you have mentioned, I also broke my tailbone. I broke mine in February 1999, I was walking down my front steps and slipped on a patch of ice and fell, skipping one step and landing HARD on the next one. I went to the ER for x-rays because I could hardly walk after that. The x-ray showed that the last 2 vertebrae in my tailbone (the tailbone consisting of 4 vertebrae fused together) were completely broken off and seperated from the other 2. Surgery was not recommended for me as well, as there was nothing that could be done but remove the broken piece. I also don't want anyone cutting me open so close to all the nerves back there. Anyhow, I was on ibuprofin 800mg + Darvoset for 6 weeks straight. The pain subisded over time, but it was about a year after that it became tolerable without medication anymore. If I sit for long periods of time it bothers me, and the doctor made it a point to let me know that if I ever get pregnant again I'll probably be living on Tylenol for the last few months of the pregnancy because it's going to hurt.
    Anyway, I hope you find a solution soon. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Lady K,
    My wife slipped on ice and did the same thing almost 40 years ago. She had alot of problems then and at the time I knew nothing about Homeopathic medicine. I wish I did then but since then I found out about and have been using Homeopathy for the last 30 years.

The great remedy for injuries to the nerves crushed fingers and toes but especially coxxyx injury from a fall ,with pain radiating up the spine and down the legs is: Hypericum 30X potency taken like it says on the bottle. It is a common remedy that can be found at most health food stores.

Hypericum ---is St. John's Wort that is used in material doses for depression but don't take it except as a homeopathic dose which is extremely small. It has been used for about 150 years for nerve injuries-- long before it recent use for moderate depression. I assure you that you will witness the miracle of homeopathy for less than $10. With your problems it is certainly worth a try!!!

God Bless---Harry

PS---I also suggest you go on "ZONE" or "Protein Power" diet. My Chol. is 154 and Trigs. are 134 after 3 months on the diet and no medication.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-07-2002).]

Old 01-07-2002, 09:57 AM   #4
    Lady Kentuckian

Lady Kentuckian HB User
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have tried various homopathic remedies including St. John's wort but all they seem to do is upset my digestive system. My family doctor has approved and even suggested some natural remedies for me but their side effects just made more problems for me. I am unable to take anti-inflamatory drugs because they aggravate my reflux. Even most vitamin supplements do not agree with me either.
    I am a 49 year old woman with far more health problems than one expects to have at this age. I also sffer from IBS and suspected Crohn's disease. My doctors have never actually diagnosed Crohn's but say some of the problems I have are consistant with the disease. I have had to have 3 fistulotomies, the last being an emergency surgery on Thanksgiving Day 2000. I had several followup surgeries for that early in 2001. I am praying I will have no recurrences with fistulas.
    My life is basically stress free other than my health problems. I have a very supportive husband, our son is grown, a college graduate, and is planning to be married in the spring. I feel very blessed to have them and their love and support. I try hard to stay upbeat and not let my pain take control of my life. That is getting to be more and more difficult. I love to do patchwork quilting but now with this coccyx pain, I cannot sit long enough to do quilting.
    I am willing to try almost anything to get my life back. I appreciate any and all support.

Closed Thread