It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Any idea what could cause my lips and cheeks to swell?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
    rnmcd
    Inactive

rnmcd HB User
    Question Any idea what could cause my lips and cheeks to swell?

Any idea what could cause my lips (especially my top lip) and cheeks to swell?

From time to time I get a facial swelling that is most pronounced in my top lip. I am a male.

Any suggestions what may cause this? Could it be too much salt in my diet?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
    Carreen

Some causes of facial swelling are:
    obesity

allergic reaction (such as allergic rhinitis, hay fever, or a bee sting)

malnutrition (when severe)

sinusitis

drugs including prolonged use or allergic reaction to aspirin, antipyretics, penicillin, sulfa, glucocorticoids, or other drugs

blood transfusion reaction

angioedema from any cause including reaction to contrast media from radiologic tests

It sounds like an allergy of some sort. Try keeping a food diary to see if you can detect which food (if any) seem to trigger it. Be careful and pay attention if you start to get shortness of breath/throat becomes tight during one of these episodes as that could indicate a life threatenting reaction and you should seek medical care immediately.

Old 03-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
    staceycronan

staceycronan HB User
    many things can cause swelling what I would concentrate most on would be allergic reactions.

------------------
    Some people see things as they are and saywhy. I dream things that never were and say why not.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:43 PM   #4
    vicki23

vicki23 HB User
    Lightbulb

There are many allergies out there that could be causing the lips to swell. Do you have any other symptoms? Look into latex allergy my husband has it and one of the symptoms is swollen lips. good luck to you

Old 10-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
    randysavage
    (male)

randysavage HB User
    Re: Any idea what could cause my lips and cheeks to swell?

ive been on accutane and anti biotics, could this be why my cheeks have seemed puffy?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
    rake
    Inactive
    (male)

rake HB User

Do you have any mercury amalgams in your teeth or any other type of metal in your mouth? You may have a metal allergy.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
    telmadee
    (female)

telmadee HB User

this happens to my son when he has allergic reactions to certian things, its the first thing that happens, sometimes depending on the reaction, it goes full hog with throat closing and ending up in A & E, when it happens agian i would make a note of what you have eaten/drank or down in the last couple of hours prior to this happening, then the next tiem same agian see if a pattern forms. Good luck

Closed Thread