It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• What is wrong...I'm falling apart?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
    Jestine

Jestine HB User
    Question What is wrong...I'm falling apart?

Hi,
    I wasn't sure which forum to use, so hopefully someone who reads this can give me some ideas...

A few months ago I got a physical done at a walk in clinic. I have to get physicals for work, but though I would utilize the visit, since I was having some 'health problems'.
    The dr. there wasn't very helpful, and I have no insurance, so thought I would post here to see if anyone has any information that may help...I will try to make it as short as I can

To start off:

I have been feeling very run down, tired, like I am dragging my self around like a zombie all of the time. I have no energy.
    My face (the skin on my face, but the overall apperance as well) looks like I am dead. It is clammy? looking, I look very washed out. And for the past few months (may be a little more), my face is breaking out very reguralry, and badly. I always have dark circles around my eyes. I have seen people with worse, so I don't know how bad to tell you the circles are.

Also, there is a patch of hair just above my right ear that has fallen out. The patch is about as big around as a softball/base ball. When I first noticed, it was about the size of a quarter or maybe two quarters around.
    I was putting Tolnaftate Antifungal Cream on the bald spot, and it seemed to be helping (even though the package says "not effective on scalp or nails"), my hair seemed to be growing back. When it started growing back, I stopped using the cream thinking it might make the new hair that was growing in...fall out? But then the bald spot grew even bigger, fairly quickly. I have started using the cream once again, and I think it is making a difference.

Another thing is, I have the hardest time falling asleep, and when I do fall asleep it is nearly impossible to get up.
    It isn't odd for me to be up late, I never have been able to go to sleep early as long as I can remember. But sometimes it is nearly impossible for me to fall asleep, and like I was saying, I always feel run down and tired, so it doesn't make sense to me. But then in the morning when I wake up, I either oversleep or fall right back to sleep.

One last thing that I can think of is, I am always cold. I never used to get cold this easily. I usually wear a jacket now, unless it is unbearably hot.

>>> I started taking vitamins when this all started to happen: Multivitamin, C-1000 mg, B-50, and just started taking E-400i.u. every other day.

I have been trying to eat as healthy as I can lately, but still I do eat some junk food occasionally.

I started exercising, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. And I tried to give my self more relaxation time, thinking that I was over working my body in some way, but that didn't help either.

My stress level isn't unusually high. Just the regular stressful day here and there, or sometimes I will have a very stressful day. But the level isn't anything out of the ordinary for me.

I use the same soaps I have always used to clean my face, but have tried a couple others lately, and got a loofah pad to see if it would liven up the Apperance of my skin...but doesn't seem to be helping.

As for my hair, I started using the tolnaftate because the dr. at the clinic said it might be a fungus. I didn't know what to think, because when he said it he said, "It could be a fecal fungus", and then he made a short laugh. He sounded sarcastic to me, but I thought I would try anyway.

I was starting to think I may have diabetes, as was suggested to me by a couple friends. But the dr. said that it is not diabetes, because I am not spilling any sugar (in urine test).

I can't think of anything else, I hope I have explained this well enough for you to get a good idea of what I am talking about.

I really have no idea what is going on other than what I have said, so Any insight or suggestions are Greatly appreciated.

I almost forgot some info...if it will help.

The results from my physical, he said I have low blood pressure. I'm not to sure what these readings mean, and haven't been able to find any info on them:

systolic = 92 / diastolic = 68 / pulse rate = 60(regular)

The last physical I had before that was 2/7/2000:

systolic = 90 / diastolic = 60 /
    pulse before exercise = 62 / after exercise = 112

Ok that's all...Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 05:05 AM   #2
    YadaYada

YadaYada HB User
    This could be caused by a lot of different things and the only way you will know for sure is to have more extensive tests run. If you don't have insurance, is there a county hospital nearby that you could go to? Or call your area United Way or Social Services and ask for help.

It, hopefully, is not something serious -- but you need to find out for sure. Your symptoms sound a lot like my girlfriends and she had leukemia. She made a full recovery, but if she had not been properly diagnosed and treated it would have killed her.

Some of the symptoms sound like it could be from a viral infection that may be easily treated. There is just no way to know – you need to see another doctor and get more thorough tests. I’m sorry that I can’t be more positive for you, maybe someone else on the board will have more ideas, but it sounds serious enough that you shouldn’t let it go or try “treatments” on your own based on others suggestions.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:03 AM   #3
    marsv63
    Inactive

marsv63 HB User
    It sounds like Thyroid to me PLEASE check out the Thyroid board you have all of the signs.. I have had my Thyroid removed May 2. Please go to the board and read the post.. All you need is a Blood test to be sure... Hope this helps, God Bless

Old 06-04-2002, 06:06 AM   #4
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Jestine, you may get plenty of advice on the board, and some of it may be kinda scary since you don't know whats going on, try not to let yourself get more upset or worried than you are already, that's not good for the health either.

I personally didn't get the bald spot, but I did have alot of hair falling out one time, plus all the other symtoms you are describing.

Also I didn't have insurance either,
    I went to planned parenthood for a yearly exam (lots cheaper)!

I have a question for you? Did they do a test called TSH? It runs about 50 to 60 bucks. This test is for the thyroid function. Do a search on the web for all the symtoms, I had everyone of them.

Don't rule out leukemia though, that's nothing to mess with.
    Do a search on that too!

Here's some things I did, and I feel alot better!!!!And the price is right.
    Take in more water, 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Take 1/4 teas. AM and PM of a good mineral sea/salt and use this on your foods. (This should also bring up the Blood Pressure.)
    Get some Magnisum, Calcium, Potassium and some all natural kelp.
    You can take extra only with the mag/calcium combination. But only the daily dose of the other 2.

For the hair, personally I would give Apple Cider Vinegar W/mother a try. It's the unfiltered kind with all the nutrients still in it. Just shake before using. Wash hair, apply ACV w/M. full strength and cover with plastic, (shower cap or plastic groc. bag.) Cover with a towel and leave on about as long as you can stand it.(1/2hour or so.) This stuff has really got some anti-fungus properties in it. Great for atheletes foot. I use it for my dandruff. One cup ACVw/M. to 3cups water and just rinse. You could try the strong treatments 3x a weeks and use the rinse the other days. Very good for the PH balance on the skin, for all parts of the body.

See like you I didn't have the money for doctors and looked for something to work that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

But I still take thyroid meds. Because my thyroid had a lump on it, and it was cancerous, so they took out the lump and treated it with thyroid meds to shut the rest of my thyroid off completely.

The suggestions I gave you to try will make you feel better, but rule out any other possibilities,like leukemia, or thyroid function, or whatever any one else come up with.

By the way I don't take the kelp (that's for thyroid function, it's and iodide supplement) Because I'm on the Medication. Let us all know what you find out, and keep us posted. Also this is the right board so far, at least till you find out what is wrong. Take care, Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    Wink

yep get the blood tests done sounds alot like thyroid problems, or maybe anxiety caused by thyroid good luck

Old 06-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #6
    Jestine

Jestine HB User
    I'm hoping it IS a viral infection, instead of thyroid or lukemia.
    I haven't gotten a THS test, and it sounds like a good idea to go to planned parenthood to get it done. The only thing that keeps me from doing that is no insurance. If they do find something wrong with me where I'll need treatment, I won't be able to pay for it. I can't afford to get insurance now, and insurance wouldn't cover it afterward because it is pre-existing.

I did read an article where it talked about iodine. I Never eat salt, and never have, unless the food is cooked with salt. The article said that low iodine can cause thyroid problems, just as likely as high iodine levels. Maybe that is the problem.

I'm going to see what I can find as far as insurance, so I can get some blood tests and find out exactly what it is.

Thank you so much for all of the information...I really appreciate it, it's very helpful.
    I'll let you know what happens when I get the tests done.

Thanks,
    Jestine

Old 06-04-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jestine, if you don't eat salt, maybe you are low on iodine. Also contrary to popular belief, that was established in the time of slavery. African lineage can't tolerate alot of salt, but they do need there iodine. But this diet is what puts the rehydration back on track. With the low blood pressure you more than likely would feel so much better.

I've done so much better on this, and most people that are stessed or get anxious at all could benefit alot from the watercure diet.

Also you can just mix up the salt requirment in a little water and slam it down with a water chaser. No big deal. Glad you are going to give the TSH testing done though. Good luck to you. Diana

Old 06-05-2002, 12:36 AM   #8
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Jestine -
    As someone pointed out, these symptoms could mean any number of things, and more testing is probably going to be needed. Did you have a hematocrit and a red blood count taken? Anemia could also cause these symptoms, and the above two tests would indicate if that were the case.

The bald hair spot could mean nothing, or it could be important. There's a condition called alopecia, usually caused by stress but not always, that causes bald spots.

Somehow, you've got to find a way to get treated. If you're near a big city, my suggestion would be to go to one of the teaching hospitals and apply for "free care", sometimes called "uncompensated care". Most large hospitals have a pool of money to treat people who don't have insurance. You could also call the state's insurance commissioner, and find out what hospitals in your area provide uncompensated care.

And hopefully at a large hospital, you'll get a doctor who has a better attitude!
    Keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by SamQKitty (edited 06-05-2002).]

Old 06-05-2002, 10:40 AM   #9
    Jaytor
    Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
    If you feel that your condition is serious, you need an accurate diagnosis before trying any self-medication.

Once you have an accurate diagnosis, there are special agencies, including some sponsored by pharmaceutical manufacturers that offer 'meds for free' for up to 3 months to qualified patients.

Whatever your diagnosis, it may be worth checking the government clinical trials site to learn more about your condition and possibly to participate in a clinical trial. Depending on the clinical trial [aside from the meds being tested which are usually free] tests and follow-up appointments are often included at no charge to the patient.

[url="http://clinicaltrials.gov/"]http://clinicaltrials.gov/[/url]

Iodine/salt - Salty pre-packaged foods [chips, cold cuts, soups, etc.] are usually made with un-iodinized salt. If you are iodine-deficient, you may have to change your eating habits so that you can make sure that the salt you eat is the most beneficial for you.

Good luck,
    Jay

Old 06-05-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
    buylady

buylady HB User
    hi, sure sounds like thyroid to me...have a T3 an T4 done then you'll no where to go from there...cynthia

Old 06-05-2002, 06:25 PM   #11
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just posted some interenting things on the head ache board, concerning natural progesterone cream and hypothyroid, check it out. What have you got to lose. Diana

Old 06-06-2002, 06:38 AM   #12
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'am going to post more specific information on the Thyriod board, concerning progesterone cream and iodine, you might want to check that out. I'll name it, Progesterone and the thyroid. Diana

Old 06-09-2002, 06:26 PM   #13
    Denise F
    Inactive

Denise F HB User
    Sounds like you're getting good advice. Don't worry if it is your thyroid or anemia they are both inexpensive
    to treat.

------------------

Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #14
    PEANUTS

PEANUTS HB User
    I,m a Nurse of 33 years. Get your Thyroid checked!!

------------------

Old 06-12-2002, 10:59 AM   #15
    PEANUTS

PEANUTS HB User
    Get the fullpanel done, T3, T4 and TSH!

------------------

Closed Thread