It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

What does "excessive tests" mean?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Posts: 50
Phaycops HB User
Post What does "excessive tests" mean?

I really am frustrated with my doctor, and I decided to look up about filing a complaint about him. I read a list of things that are complaint-worthy, and among them is "excessive tests." My situation is this:
Doctor orders tests. Doctor waits unitl month-later follow up to view test results. Doctor tells me I have hyperthryoid. Doctor tells me he isn't referring me to a specialist because I have no insurance and it's expensive. Doctor orders "thryoid scan." Have thryoid scan. At follow-up to scan, dotor says "What is this? Who ordered this test?" Doctor then informs me that he meant "thryoid hormone uptake test." Not the same thing. I ask him why. He hemms and haws and finally says that it's to find out "whether your nodules are inflamed. But based on your symptoms and your blood levels, I think you have Grave's disease." So.....why the extra test? Is this "Excessive testing?" Who should have to pay for the test he messed up? I can't start taking my medications until the next test is over. Meaning, I'm to remain sick until my next test (At the end of the month!!!). What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-18-2002, 01:38 PM   #2
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 63
star508 HB User

You should get a new doctor. That doesn't sound like a very nice physician at all. You should know your test results as soon as they come in, whether you have to call in and ask or they call you and tell you what's up. Also, him wanting to do another test isn't excessive testing, I think. It could be an honest mistake that he ordered the wrong test.

Old 09-18-2002, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus, Georgia
Posts: 131
mfry32 HB User

I also agree that you should get another doctor. Not
all doctors are like the one you have now. I just love
my doctor. He only orders tests when absolutely necessry and doesn't give medication unless you need it
He was a pharmacist before becoming a family doctor.
That makes me feel better. He listens and I mean he
listens until I am completely through. You need a doctor that when you go to see him/her that you feel
like you have the answers you need when you leave his

Old 09-30-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Tallahassee, FL, USA
Posts: 191
dustbunnys_baby HB User

Hey phaycops,
Wow, sounds what like I had been going through for two years up until recently. I went through that kind of treatment. You definetly need a new doctor. When I first got sick the doctor I had flat out told me I was crazy and that I needed to be on anxiety pills. When that didn't remedy the situation i went back to that doctor and he said the only thing that would help me was psycho therapy. I changed doctors immediatly. Turns out that wasn't the problem. I had an apricot sized cist on my left overy and it was hemeriging. I had sergury last year in oct. Then I got sick again and they started to treat me like you r doctor is treating you now. I was very upset and I changed doctors again and this time I found a great one. He found the problem within a few weeks and he has called me every two weeks since then to review my progress. It turns out I have irritable bowel and that it could have been fixed a long time ago if i had switched sooner. Yes what he is doing is called ordering excessive exams. That is abuse find a different doctor soon. It may not be as bad as you think. Much love

Life may grab you by the horns if you don't grab it first!

Old 10-01-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Posts: 50
Phaycops HB User

Well, just an update. I'm seeing my specialist thursday, and I'm going to ask him to recommend a good PCP. I'm also going to file a complaint against my doctor. Even if nothing comes of it, I still have that catharsis. Thanks for your advice, guys!

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What the heck is wrong with me? takenbylovely Open to All Other Health Topics 3 07-20-2011 07:59 PM
What does high RNP antibodies mean? neveragain444 Lupus 9 06-23-2011 05:08 PM
what does tabnormal cavity with hypertrophic polypoid area mean chini75 Cancer: Uterine 0 04-20-2010 12:45 AM
Can someone explain what this means???? skych Pain Management 10 05-11-2008 06:38 AM
Help needed...I have no idea what is going on????? kenzlane Thyroid Disorders 7 02-13-2006 02:41 PM
This Friend Knows What She Needs to Do.... goody2shuz Relationship Health 297 07-06-2005 05:22 AM
What do you think of my relation? Ichigoraion Relationship Health 23 04-23-2005 03:03 AM
What the **** is her problem!? butterflyz87 Teen Health 7 06-25-2004 03:08 PM
Sibling problem -- What would you do? serenityelf Relationship Health 11 11-25-2003 08:16 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!