It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Help Ive had this problem for 5 months now!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
BeckiA

BeckiA HB User
Unhappy Help Ive had this problem for 5 months now!!!

Ive had this problem for 5 months now. Okay here goes. My throat feels like it is super tight and about to close. The muscles in my neck especially the ones in the back hurt. My head hurts all the time and sometimes I have pressure in my ears. Now I have been trying to pay close attention to this and when it occurs my upper back also hurts and sometimes my chest. Mainly the tightness I feel is right by my glands and my glands feel very tight when this condition feels its worse. I have had an endoscopy done and ruled out acid reflux. I have had a CT of the sinuses and they are normal. I have just recently went to the ENT and he says I have really thick drainage. It is not an infection but just thick he put me on humibid and naso spray. Still not getting better. Please if you have had these symptoms or can offer any advice i would appreciate it. This is starting to wear on my mentally. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
sunwaves
Inactive

sunwaves HB User
Hi Becky...I hope this helps you...I think because you are "concentrating" on your throat feeling tight, it is psychologically feeling like you are going to suffocate or stop breathing...Just not physically likely unless you are choking, or suffering from anapheletic shock...

For instance....If you "think" about swallowing, it actually becomes difficult to take a swallow...Try it a few times....If you "think" about blinking your eyes really repeatedly and not being able to stop, and then try it, your mind kind of tells you. "If you keep blinking, you will never stop" and you panic.. Kinda like when your mom told you when you were little if you crossed your eyes, they would stay that way...

Anxiety will also cause the feeling of your throat tightening...and swallowing was difficult for me, then I would breath wrong and so on and so on...I would think I was about to die or something...And because you said you "concentrate" on it, that is probally what is happening....Just try and "concentrate" on something else when this occurs...Tell yourself this may just be your imagination, and don't focus on it being something bad....Sometimes just relaxing, and talking yourself out of it...will subside the feeling...In addition to the worrying, all of this can cause great tension and make your neck and back sore as heck...

If it is anxiety, there are wonderful medications that can ease this feeling you are having...Just talk with your MD, and tell him exactly how you are feeling and you should be in good shape!!!....I think you will be okay...Good luck, and I hope this helped!!!

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-05-2003).]

Old 01-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #3
Tangle
(male)

Tangle HB User
Your condition may be caused by poor indoor air. Evaluate your work and home air and consider air purification methods.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #4
BeckiA

BeckiA HB User
Thank you both so much for your replys. I am now beginning to think that it may be anxiety.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
lilmissme
Inactive

lilmissme HB User
Beckia,

I had something similar to that and my doctor gave me some Ativan. Helped me totally. Maybe give that a try. Who knows.... it may just help.

Lilmissme http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 01-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
BeckiA

BeckiA HB User
lilmissme, I was just wondering what your symptoms were and if you permanently had to take the ativan or if it was just like a few day or week treatment type of thing. Iam so afraid to take medication because I have 2 small children and I want to be in the best state of mind for them. Thanks

Old 01-05-2003, 03:48 PM   #7
lilmissme
Inactive

lilmissme HB User
Beckia

My throat felt very closed up; tight; like I had something stuck in it. I did everything to get whatever it was stuck in my throat out... I thought it was a pill but after eating different things, making myself throw up, nothing worked. I don't know what my doctor said it was but he gave me a prescription for 10 or 15 Ativan, 0.5mg. Ativan will just help you relax, it's an anti-anxiety medication. It won't make you all wonky or totally zoned out. Take a very small dose, 0.5mg is small but cut it in half(if you have 0.5mg tablet) and take 0.25mg. You just stick it under your tongue and let it dissolve and it goes right into your blood stream. Check it out with your doctor..like I said before, who knows. Oh, and no, I didn't take it permantly. Just for a few days, or a week.

Lilmissme http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 01-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #8
VNC21402

BeckiA, I had similar symptoms, which turned out to be an anaphylactic reaction to something. Turns out that I am highly allergic to aloe, which is in a lot of things I was using (diapers, baby wipes, hand soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, chapstick, etc.) I have had the tightening of the throat & difficulty breathing. Have had some chest pain as well, but not much. I haven't had any headaches but have had a little pain in my back, very little though. Your symptoms sound very similar to what I have experienced with my allergy. Except that I didn't have any drainage and not as much pain. I would suggest keeping a diary - whenever you feel these symptoms, write down or at least try to remember what you were doing at the time, what you came in contact with or ate at that time or as much as 2 hours before. If it is allergies, you'll be able to pinpoint and through process of elimination, figure out what it is that's bothering you if indeed it is an allergy - then you can just avoid it. If that doesn't work, you might want to see an allergist and find out if you're allergic to anything. Hope this helps - I know personally how annoying the symptoms can be! I'm just getting over mine. Good luck. Oh, also, taking a Benadryl may help but be aware they make you really sleepy!

[This message has been edited by VNC21402 (edited 01-05-2003).]

Old 01-06-2003, 03:59 AM   #9
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Beck, it may also be related to a problem in your neck. I have the same thing, where I feel like my throat wants to close up, like my tongue will slide back, so I try to lock it between my teeth (because it sometimes feels swollen), my throat is VERY sensitive to touch (I have a hard time wearing turtlenecks or wearing a choker or even putting on lotion). My shoulders sometimes feel like they're pulled up into my ears, and I get pain in my neck as well as in my throat and chest. This is not the same kind of pain one gets with a cold or sore throat or swollen tonsils either, this feels like it's the muscles lining the esophagus, like they're constricting, and the muscles along the cervical spine. I get pain between my shoulder blades and into my chest, and sometimes it's hard to breathe, either because something feels "hung up" in my back, or because of the pain in my chest.

What makes it worse is this causes shallow breathing, and this makes anxiety worse because it precipitates hyperventilating.

Have you ever considered chiropractic? I suffer from anxiety as well but sometimes what causes this, for me, is the fact that my neck and/or upper back need to be adjusted, and after they are, it's like this huge wave of relief that washes over me because all of a sudden, the nerves do not have the same pressure on them. I've had chiropractic care on and off for 20 years. If you think of it, you also get regular physicals, regular pap smears, blood work, routine XRays (ie: every 5 years after a certain age), mammograms, dental care twice a year,... so if you see a chiropractor -- it isn't always for accute matters. I may go once or twice a week for a little while, then once a month, and then maybe not again for several months... it varies. But for me personally, I have found it to help me.

I have not gone to the chiro now for other reasons, for a few months now, and now that I think of it (after reading your post) I'm starting to see how my physical complaints began to get worse a few weeks after I stopped going -- same complaints that I could get "fixed" for in the past that are not going away untreated. I'm going to call my chiro today and make an appointment for my neck (spurred on by your post, so thank you!)

Anti anxiety meds can also work wonders, and if your doctor feels they're right, many you can take as needed, just when you feel a panic attack.

Note: just be cautious, many docs also treat anxiety with antidepressants which require daily use. While they can't be put in the same category (all anti-d's that is), many have severe side effects or nasty rebound effects when you stop. But your doc can help you better with that and monitor your progress.

If you want to try something natural, valerian root or chamomile tea are said to have soothing properties, and they are going to be considerably less potent than drugs -- if you want to give that a round before the drug route.

So a few natural, non-invasive therapies might include: chiropractic, valerian root, chamomile, kava kava (that has had some negative press in some areas, so check this out and research it well first hand,... many non-drug therapies get their share of negative press too). L-Tryptophan is a natural amino acid found in turkey and dairy. (Due to what was discovered to be a contamination factor however, many years ago this supplement got banned, even though the amino acid itself is safe and available in other forms, you can find it in foods and you can find precursors to it in other supplements). B-complex can also help with moods (many people find just by adding B-complex to their diet that they are more relaxed -- but remember it is fat-soluble so take it with food, NOT on an empty stomach). And one of the best natural relaxants would be magnesium. It is a muscle relaxer in and of itself, often found with calcium (they work well together). Taken at NIGHT before bed,... this really works to relax tension and muscles! Especially if you can find it in powdered form that you can add to tea or hot water.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
BeckiA

BeckiA HB User
Thank you Merrida your advice is very helpful. Actually today before I read your post I called the doctor to get a referral to the Chiro because I think that will help very much. I have never been to one before and I also have scoliosis in the 9t to 12th vetebra so I dont know if this is related. Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:56 AM   #11
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Good luck!

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Closed Thread