It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Anphylactic reaction to aloe

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
VNC21402

Unhappy Anphylactic reaction to aloe

Hey everyone...I am looking to connect with others who have had an anaphylactic reaction to aloe. I have had tightening of the throat, difficulty breathing, a little chest, back, & throat pain (very little, though). Through 6 trips to the doctor *rolls eyes*, and process of elimination, I figured out that I am allergic to aloe. It was in the diapers and wipes I used on my baby son, my lotion, shampoo, conditioner, chapstick, hand soap, and petroleum jelly. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensitivity to aloe. I have read that it is rare for someone to have an aloe allergy. Also if you have had this same reaction to aloe & you have a small child that wears diapers, what kind did you switch to, if any? I'm getting ready to switch to cloth diapers, unfortunately - all store-bought diapers have aloe in them but if it makes me feel better it's all worth it! Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by VNC21402 (edited 01-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by VNC21402 (edited 01-05-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 02:39 AM   #2
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
If you had an anaphylactic shock you'd be in the hospital because you would have stopped breathing or been brought there on the verge of passing out. Anaphylactic infers life threatening and symptoms which, if not intervened, would result in death.

It sounds like you have an allergy or sensitivity, but how did you deduce it to be aloe. It would more likely be perfumes or dyes, as that is more common. If it occured suddenly, such as after giving birth, even more reason to suspect new allergies. Once you're a mom your body is changed forever.

You are correct, it is very rare to have an allergic reaction to aloe, as it's considered mild enough for babies and sensitive skin.

I'd assume you had this reaction from an aloe product you consumed? I'm not familiar of situations of where applying a topical aloe product would produce these affects. If you consumed aloe in a drink I'd be highly suspect of contaminants IN the aloe product, either unique to the brand or this certain bottle (it happens). Perhaps there were impurities or perhaps you have an allergy to something else IN the aloe, such a preservative, dye, flavoring, etc.

What did your doctor feel? Why did it take six visits for you to work with your doctor, what did they do for 6 times?

Old 01-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
silverwill
Inactive

silverwill HB User
I agree that it's a very rare condition. It could be something other than the aloe. But I believe the original poster with the reaction type is correct. Anaphylaxis & anaphylactic shock are 2 different things. Shock is severe--that is entirely correct--& would be means for hospitilization. Anaphylaxis is just the closing of the airways & such due to swelling--not causing the drop in blood pressure which would make the condition quite serious. You can also have that metallic tinge in your mouth as well. I myself have the same types of reactions to shellfish (including when I'm in the place where it is being cooked)& the symptoms subside after a while of non-exposure. My Dr. said I don't have to do anything special. Avoidence is key, but it's not that bad where I would need to be admitted. I'm just supposed to stay on the meds, work the avoidance thing & if it gets to the point where it becomes a more threatening situation, he'll give me something for it. As of right now, I'm ok as I am.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
VNC21402

Yes, I am aware of anaphylactic shock...I wasn't in shock but I did have a pretty bad reaction which I thought to my knowledge was an anaphylactic reaction if that makes any sense...I guess it wasn't as serious as I thought at was, but that's good. I thought anaphylaxis and anaphylactic meant pretty much the same thing but I guess they're a bit different. Well what I did was I used process of elimination to try and figure out what it was. Then one day my mom talked to her mom on the phone and her mom's friend had a daughter who'd had the exact same reaction - she'd just had a baby at that time and it turned out she was allergic to aloe, which is in all diapers and baby wipes and many other products like lotions, etc. So I eliminated the aloe and sure enough I was much better after that. All the things I had with aloe in them were topical - diapers, baby wipes, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, chapstick. I had some Aloe lotion and when I put it on my legs one evening, I almost immediately got a bad rash all over my legs & had a reaction with the throat tightening and all that. I have never tried aloe in a drink or anything like that. Well my doctor checked my breathing and everything, thought everything sounded fine, at first I'd thought it was smoke inhalation, then they thought it was allergies, then asthma, etc. but by process of elimination I was able to figure out that it is indeed the aloe that's been bothering me. The doctor gave me medicine to help my symptoms - but at the time I didn't know what it was so the medicine didn't help because I was still being exposed to the aloe - and it is in a lot of the things I was using.

[This message has been edited by VNC21402 (edited 01-06-2003).]

Old 01-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
silverwill
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by VNC21402:
Yes, I am aware of anaphylactic shock...I wasn't in shock but I did have a pretty bad reaction which I thought to my knowledge was an anaphylactic reaction if that makes any sense...I guess it wasn't as serious as I thought at was, but that's good. I thought anaphylaxis and anaphylactic meant pretty much the same thing but I guess they're a bit different. Well what I did was I used process of elimination to try and figure out what it was. Then one day my mom talked to her mom on the phone and her mom's friend had a daughter who'd had the exact same reaction - she'd just had a baby at that time and it turned out she was allergic to aloe, which is in all diapers and baby wipes and many other products like lotions, etc. So I eliminated the aloe and sure enough I was much better after that. All the things I had with aloe in them were topical - diapers, baby wipes, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, chapstick. I had some Aloe lotion and when I put it on my legs one evening, I almost immediately got a bad rash all over my legs & had a reaction with the throat tightening and all that. I have never tried aloe in a drink or anything like that. Well my doctor checked my breathing and everything, thought everything sounded fine, at first I'd thought it was smoke inhalation, then they thought it was allergies, then asthma, etc. but by process of elimination I was able to figure out that it is indeed the aloe that's been bothering me. The doctor gave me medicine to help my symptoms - but at the time I didn't know what it was so the medicine didn't help because I was still being exposed to the aloe - and it is in a lot of the things I was using.

[This message has been edited by VNC21402 (edited 01-06-2003).]

Makes sense to me. BTW, anaphylaxis (n)=the name of the reaction & anaphylactic (adj)=describes the process of the reaction. They're the same. Anaphylactic shock involves low blood pressure & occasionally loss of conciousness. That's the different one. You can have the reaction without going into shock.
I also said it was a rare allergy--not unheard of though. (Everyone hears about this poor guy--but he's a walking science project, as am I so...) My ex gets a rash from aloe lotions & such. It annoys him, so he doesn't use them. We know it's the aloe, because I was into the natural approach to things & gave him the goo right out of the plant. He broke out from it. The anaphylaxis is worse than that though & if the meds work for you. Good! Also, it's a pain in the arse, but you get used to it & the more times it happens, the better you get at dealing with it.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:03 AM   #6
jjaksic
Inactive

jjaksic HB User
First of all don't be hesitant because it says it's rare. Every allergy I have tends to be rare!
Do you think you are having this reaction because you're breathing in something from those products you mentioned that you use? I suppose if it's a dermatitis reaction, you would have a rash or something.
It does sound like you've inhaled something & reacting to it.
You usually are the one who has to figure out what you are allergic to if it's not the normal grass, trees.
So you've read the ingredients in "aloe?" Sometimes it can only be one ingredient that you've become allergic to that will cause an allergic reaction.

Sometimes I have allergic reactions to just a strong odor. i.e., roasted peanuts make me gag BUT I can eat them. And some of the things I've had an allergic reaction to I can't even smell them anymore because I have an allergic reaction (asthmatic)to their smell.

Is your asthma, throat tightening so mild you don't have to go to ER? What do you take at home for it?
You have to try to stay calm (don't panic) and get yourself away from the product and get some fresh air.
I don't know about diapers because I'm 58 yrs old.

Closed Thread