It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Amphetamine(Adderall) vs. Love/attraction in dopamine...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
tpower9s

tpower9s HB User
Question Amphetamine(Adderall) vs. Love/attraction in dopamine...

I am wondering if a theurapeutic dose of Adderall on average produces as much central dopamine release (ventral straitum: reward pathways) as the natural central phenylethylamine(PEA) release that produces feelings of attraction/love predominantly by means of dopamine (I don't mean sexually/lust or regarding long-term attachment since those are more related to the opiate-like oxytocin).

I generally take 0.5-0.75 mg/Kg instant-release once daily after breakfast of Adderall for adult inattentive-ADD and severe self-motivation problems. I would be worried about continueing taking it as prescribed daily if it is actually rivaling the feeling of the non-sexual portion of romantic love. Well at least in terms of dopaminergic effects.

I havn't much luck with the opposite sex on no drugs at all so I can't really compare the feelings subjectively. I know large doses of it could launch dopamine unnaturally high risking damage, but I have never exceeded what I stated above for dose or abused an amphetamine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
Happycat

Happycat HB User
Question

Do you mind explaining what exactly you are talking about, what that drug is for and what desired effect that you are trying to achieve with it?
DX: Multiple Herniated Disks, DDD, chronic pain, RX methadone daily

Old 02-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
Tangle
(male)

Tangle HB User
Yea, seems like you know enough about the physiological effects of Adderall to answer your own question, at least better than someone else could. And if your inquiry is that personal and subjective, how could someone else know better than yourself?

Generally speaking, amphetamines stimulate both arousal and performance in the arena of sexuality.

Note your own effects and compare them with others reports.

Old 02-12-2003, 02:06 AM   #4
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I do not think that Adderall works on seratonin and works along quite different pathways.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
tpower9s

tpower9s HB User
Maybe this is more clear:

Really just seeing if anyone had an idea about this:

An experimental AVERAGE or generalization based on measuring the maximum dopamine release naturally possible in humans. Using the attraction process of love as an example since it releases the most dopamine via the natural release of the brain's amphetamine PEA.

I mention dopamine specifically- not effects on any of the other receptors. Dopaminergic effect is what I'm interested in and all that I'm focusing on right here.

It would just be interesting to know if there's any obtained data that's comparable- obviously not specific to my exact body- but in general the extent of the dopaminergic effects in terms of same-unit comparisons measured the same way.

I wouldn't know the answer because actual experimental data showing the degree of changes off baseline is more reliable than my subjective opinion or my notoriously bad memory of seperate past events, all of which would be biased by my perception. Also- since taking Adderall, I haven't had any serious relationships.

Old 02-12-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I still think you're comparing apples to oranges, although I *think* I understand the jist of what you're trying to figure out -- which is to understand what impact your meds are having on your response in terms of sexual relationships, and if you can duplicate the effectual aspects of your meds, or if the meds are duplicating sensory experiences which you might be denied?

(Do I have that interpretation correct?)

I don't think you will find any conclusive answers beyond those which you've already established because, as you mention, there IS no "data" -- there would only be anecdotal testimonials, and those are only as valuable as your own subjective experiences, or as much as you wish to assign them. There is no such thing as anecdotal data, as you know, and your question/inquiry relies exclusively on subjective perception.

If you have any doubts or misgivings, even enough to question this, the closest thing you'll get to an accurate assessment is to quit your meds and go on living. There may be OTHER factors not related to dopamine which result in altered behavior or perception, and THAT may be what is affecting your relationships, - so you don't have a valid "constant" to test (ie: no "control group" as it were).

I know that doesn't answer your question but there are some thoughts...

Old 02-13-2003, 01:03 AM   #7
Tangle
(male)

Tangle HB User
Your inquiry would most like be found in some database that contains scietific journals and stuff of that sort, not a general reading forum like healthboards.

For personal or general info, check out Erowid.

If you wanna boost or maximize your dopomine levels naturaly supplement one or more of the fallowing nutrients:

Phenylalanine
Tyrosine
NADH

With or without Adderall. Be your own guide. Small doses would proly never have harmfull effects.

Closed Thread