It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

What can cause cramping?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Post What can cause cramping?

Cramping below the navel, that sort of feels like uterine cramping. I'm one week post-menstrual.

Granted, the past year each period has been worse (ie: more symptoms, greater symptoms) than the previous one, but I can't tell what KIND of cramps these are.

I can usually differentiate period cramps, even mid-cycle cramps, and gas cramps if I eat the wrong foods, (especially sugars), or certain meds,... but these are peculiar. I've been having them for at least a year, all my tests are negative, I've had a pap and pelvic and am due to have an echo and upper GI. But these cramps "feel" just like period cramps. Can't tell if it could be stomach, intestines, uterine, related to my back,... so many possibilities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
Tree Frog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Merrida,
The cramps can have an emotional source. It can be from the stress on your body of worrying over your normal body functions. You may need more clacium and magnesium.

If you are stressing over your body all the time it can make you physically sick. Give your poor body a break, girl!

Old 02-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #3
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I don't think I'm stressing over my body -- any more than usual anyway. Most "cramping" I get I can recognize and identify, and is normal, such as period cramps, gas cramps, or if I work out aggressively. You bring up an excellent point, however, of calcium/magnesium/Vitamin-D/Phosphorus because I'm quite sure I don't get enough of that, and I've already experienced great results with cal/mag (especially powders) with my muscles and helping with sleep.

If I'm giving the impression I'm "worried" about my body,...hmm, interesting. I don't think so. I do, however, like to make inquiries and get feedback on other opinions or thoughts. Thoughts I may have do not necessarily mean to imply "worrying" over anything in particular.

The only "worry" in my life quite honestly, is my trials and tribulations with my dental fiascos, but other than that, I like these forums to toss around experiences and thoughts just in general, for discussion. I think it's nifty.

Thanks for the reply about calcium.... Given my doc's explained I'm also experiencing other hormonal perimenopausal symptoms, it was my own (unmedical) thought that labeled the sensation as "uterine" or wondering if this was ovarian related because I knew what they weren't.

So while inquiries are often based on observation and are not worries, they remain of interest. This is one of the few places we can actually express our observations and curiosities and questions within perspective.

Thanks again for the advice.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:50 AM   #4
Tree Frog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Merrida,
I see now that you just have an interest, not a real worry. I misunderstood your reason for the many posts about this and that.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:48 AM   #5
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Yeah, and I can see where it can "get me in trouble" because I have an infatuation with so many aspects of the human body, and I find details to be of great interest. I think I need to hang out with, like, medical students or something, where the casual conversation can bring up topics about the human body (so my curiosities are less unusual!)

Thanks again!

------------------

Old 02-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
anniNangst

anniNangst HB User
Hello Merrida. I had to chuckle a little about your post regarding your interest in the body systems and how you try to determine the source of pain,etc. with some success. I am the very same. I am a nurse, so I am in a position to discuss the various aspects of the human body daily and read a lot to figure things out for my patients when the MD's won't try hard enough. Are you in the medical field? If not, perhaps you should be, we need more who have a passion for knowledge of the body systems!
In response to your question about possible causes for cramping: One possibility is adhesions. I had this cramping sensation that got worse over time and eventually resulted in a total hysterectomy because the MD's I sought answers from just didn't know... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif My surgeon told me that I had Pelvic Adhesive Disease, meaning I was more susceptable to adhesions and that I would probably have to have lasar surgery every 5 years to keep the adhesions under control. I had it from my liver to my cervix at that time. It has been 5 years since my hyst and I do have lower abdominal cramping that feels like pre-menstrual cramping. I know it is the adhesions, but I won't have the surgery until it gets intolerable! I control the pain with mild analgesics at this point.
There are many possible causes for this type of cramping, and sometimes the only way to find the source of your pain is through an exploratory laparoscopy. I hope this helps in some way, if only to express camaraderie. Anni

------------------
If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got...

[This message has been edited by anniNangst (edited 02-13-2003).]

Old 02-13-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
What type of diagnostics were done to determine that you had adhesions? Is a lap the only way to determine this? Do you know what "caused" it?

My "perception" of symptoms tends to be pretty accurate, although I don't always know "what" is going on.

I am completely fascinated with the human body, from all different aspects. It's so funny to think about now because I used to get sick in Science class every day in grade school whenever we discussed the human body.

Gosh, how life changes, eh?

------------------

Old 02-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #8
anniNangst

anniNangst HB User
I am not sure, but I think that the Lap is the only way to diagnose the adhesions. It looks like a clear glue substance, so I think it would be hard to detect any other way. The original cause of the adhesions in my case was probably due to the trauma that occurred during the birth of my son. He was a big baby and I am a small woman, I had him in this podunk hospital and the Physician let me give birth naturally when he knew better. He told me while I was giving birth that we should have done a cesarean, but it was too late then. My labor was hard and fast with the aid of Pitocin, so the trauma was worse that it would have been had I gone through the stages of labor. I had inadequate post-partum care and the scarring grew worse over the years.

Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #9
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Can anything be done to treat adhesions?

I have a client with adhesions which she developed after multiple surgical procedures in the same area, and subsequent surgeries for their removal, and over the years, it's been discovered she has adhesions in multiple areas of her body, from a hysterectomy to her elbow and several places in between.

It seems certain people might be predisposed to forming adhesions from traumatized tissue -- what causes this, what makes them more predisposed than others, and do you know what kind of "treatments" are available to address them, or how advanced this can become?

I'm trying to understand not only how they form, but also where in the body (like what parts and how, technically).

I haven't been diagnosed so am not assuming this is my particular problem. For all I know this could be a different kind of gas!

I feel like someone is sucking on my navel from the inside, on a straw connected to the inside of my bellybutton down to my uterus. Yeah, pretty strange description or perception but that's the closest way I can think of to describe some of the sensation (aside from cramping, that odd "sucking" or "drawing" sensation accompanies it).

This is fascinating...

------------------

Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 AM   #10
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
How about aspartame?

The Hubby made a comment about how we've been drinking a diet drink containing aspartame the past few months (more than usual). Usually we both only drink water. This drink does have some caffeine in it, but not much.

I'm wondering if that might be a factor...

I know the only way to find out is to stop drinking it and see if these cramps dissipate, but in general I'm asking -- anyone know if there's a connection or theoretical link?

[This message has been edited by Merrida (edited 02-16-2003).]

Old 02-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #11
lacii
Inactive

lacii HB User
Cool

First try giving up the Aspartame.
I have had those cramps. They feel like you're in labor. Mine have come from either a food reaction (allergic) or severe mold inhalation. Allergens can cause gastrointestinal problems. That's for sure!

Mine was plain old gas. But I couldn't release it. After I finally did, the pain was gone. I had a hard time believing that gas cramps could be that painful. I remember sitting on the toilet holding onto a chair because the cramps were so bad and feeling faint.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #12
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I wonder, too, if caffeine can cause cramping. If it can have diuretic effects which can affect your electrolitic count, and that can affect your heart, then heck, why not other muscled walls too?

I definitely agree that the aspartame can have all kinds of nasties when it comes to what it does to the body. And it's probably my own hangup that makes me resistant. I used to drink around 1 of those huge (2 litre?) sizes of diet pepsi a day (!!) and quit it totally, and never touched aspartame in any form, either in foods or drink, at all, nadda,... until this stuff (the product I drink is sugar free red bull drink -- a drink I like a lot, with 1/3 the caffeine contained in excedrin, 1/3 the caffeine in a cup of coffee -- but the regular stuff was so loaded with sugar).

But I'm not so sure that these odd crampies are related. I know...the only way to r/o is to actually DO the ruling out by stopping!

I'm just trying to see if maaaaybe anyone has any thoughts on this.

When I get "gas cramps" I tend to feel it more where my decending colon is, sometimes my transverse colon, or sometimes rectal spasms. But these feel just like uterine cramps, right below my navel. Or, it feels like my bladder! Is that possible? I know the bladder has a sphincter muscle, and I do pee a lot (given the amount of water I drink is quite high, over 200 ounces per day),... is it possible this is somehow related?

I don't know what's more likely: the amount of aspartame in 1, 2 or 3 8-oz cans? the caffeine (3 cans would equal a cup of coffee)?

Or even if it's something totally different.

I'm also trying to think dietary. I'll get gas from certain foods, especially sugars, big time. But these cramps just don't "feel" like your typical gas cramps or lower intestine type cramps.

Sometimes these spasms or whatever they are get scary in severity,... but they never last the whole day, so that's a good thing. I just still wish I knew what they were and what was causing them.

thanks for the reply, btw, I appreciate your staying in touch!

------------------

Closed Thread