It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

sprained ankle, still have pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
littlebrace

littlebrace HB User
Question sprained ankle, still have pain

In Novemeber of 2001, I sprained my ankle. I did it in kind of a stupid way but this is how: I was jumping in leaves with my friends and te leaves were on a hill. I jumped and when I landed my foot went foward. I couldn't walk on it so I went to the doctor and got xrays and they just said it was a sprain. I did have to wear an aircast for I think 2 weeks or maybe a little longer and I was on crutches for one week, until I could walk on it again. Lately my ankle has been hurting a lot. Not all the time but just occasionaly, for no reason. And when it does hurt it hurts so much like when I did sprain it. Why do you think it still hurts a lot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
friendlione
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Cool

littlebrace:
Sprains can take much longer to heal than the length of time it takes to initially feel better, I found out.

All the ligaments need stretched very gently several times a day. Be gentle so you do not further damage the areas where the muscles and ligaments are attached. Do gentle exercise to maintain the stength while it heals. It can take four months to a year for everything to completely heal. I suggest that you not jar the ankle by jumping or running yet.

Old 01-05-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
littlebrace

littlebrace HB User
but it has been 1 year and 2 months since i sprained my ankle. you're telling me it takes longer than that to heal? I didn't just sprain it this past november. it was the one before

Old 01-05-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
friendlione
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Cool

littlebrace:
Oh, I didn't notice the year.

I had a sprain that still bothers me, a year and four months later, though.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
friendlione
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Cool

Have you had this x-rayed? Perhaps you will need an MRI to identify torn or unhealed ligaments.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
littlebrace

littlebrace HB User
I only had it xrayed when I first sprained it. They never did it again after that

Old 01-06-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
jasmine30
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Little,
I hurt my ankle when a Sophomore in High School and it took YEARS to heal.It hurt so bad that I dreaded getting up on it in the morning..Every job I had from standing and walking caused so much pain..It finally quit hurting,however ever so often when it gets cold or rainy it bothers me..I did the Lodeine(sp)and splint thing and kept icy hot or rubs on it..

Old 02-19-2003, 02:17 AM   #8
silvershado1

silvershado1 HB User
I hurt mine years ago and to this day I still have pain. But my doctor didn't do x-rays just said it was sprained even when I told him I herd a cracking noise. Needles to sayI never went back to him. I tell my new docotor that I have pain and my history of it and he said "it would of healed by now on its own and getting a x-ray would be pointless. So next time I hurt it I will insist on it. Oh I must point out that I have hurt mine over 5 times. So as my luck goes I am about due for another sprain. happenes every so many years.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #9
purple2067
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

I know this wasn't the original question asked, and many of you probably know about this. But have any of you tried Ankle supports? How about prescription Orthotics in your shoes? I have very weak ankles and I used to sprain them all the time. So I started wearing ace ankle supports whenever they felt particularly weak. And I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with very very flat feet. He gave me the Orthotics, and since then I have rarely had ankle problems.

Have you thought about going for some sort of physical therapy?

Closed Thread