It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Long term effects of taking aspirin?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Post Long term effects of taking aspirin?

What would the long term effects be of taking aspirin (anywhere between 4 to 8 daily) every day for a few years?

I would imagine somewhere along the line is damage to collagen and connective tissues.

How extensive and to what degree might there be capillary involvement?

What is the connection with tinnitus?

This and anything else, -- I am quite interested. The above are the only things I can think of off hand, but I'm sure there are more.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Merrida (edited 02-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
purple2067
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

I'm not sure about the other things that you mentioned, but I know that long term use of aspirin can cause stomach problems such as ulcers. I hope you are using one that is coated.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:54 PM   #3
mothmin

mothmin HB User
Red face

hey merridia, i know you from the spinal disorders board. My dad took lots of asprin all his life one day he collapst and was taken to e.r. his blood was so messed up they thought he had lukemia? my mom told the dr. "he takes asprin all day" the dr. said he came very close to death and is not supposed to take it any more! RE: sleep apnea; when the problems with my cerviucal disk fisrt started, I thought i had sleep apnea cause I would "choke" during sleep several times a night. the physical therapy some how straightened this out, and I never had that problem again, today I'm 10 weeks post-op acdf-c-7own bone. t-plate.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
Jooner18
(male)

Jooner18 HB User
Exclamation

I've heard that prolonged use of asprin can lead to ulcers as well. Asprin/Tylenol can straight up rip a hole in your stomach, causing acid to leak out. I saw a whole special about it on 20/20. Some guy was taking asprin religiously until he developed perotinits...He almost died from it. Of course, that's just one extreme case, and that might not be your case, but I imagine asprin is just like anything esle used in excess...never a good thing.

[This message has been edited by Jooner18 (edited 02-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Jooner18 (edited 02-21-2003).]

Old 02-21-2003, 03:28 AM   #5
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Oh yeah, the ulcer, I forgot about that one too. How many aspirins a day would do that? I know, everyone is different, but I know it would have to be more than the 1 x day 81mg baby aspirin used in aspirin therapy....just curious how much.

Can people be healed from these disorders, can any of them be reversed?

What kind of "blood problem" was so messed up as thought to be leukemia? Yeesh, that's scary! What was his blood doing to cause such a stir?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
mlgable
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Aspirin in small doses daily or under doctors supervision is not harmful so to speak unless your body is sensitive to it. Prolonged use may irritate your stomach which is why long term users are supposed to use enteric coated aspirin. As for the fella with the messed up blood..............Aspirin is a natural blood thinner and he obviously was taking to much of it and it thinned his blood out to much. So long as your doctor is aware that you take aspirin routinely it is not bad. My question is why would you take that many aspirin for so long? Do you have arthritis that requires you to take it. One thing to remember if you use it for chronic headaches you can get rebound headaches from taking to many painkillers of any kind.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I would imagine his blood would be quite thinned, but the way the post was written, it was implied that a disease was diagnosed or suspect, (the initial reaction was not that of thin blood, but question of disease). This is why I was curious what type of disease, in specific.

I am trying to ascertain possible health side effects of prolonged aspirin use, and I can see where the potential is there for hemmorhage and stomach ulcers, and as I mentioned, breakdown of connective tissue. But I'm curious about details, what may happen and how it may happen (ie: vascular walls breaking down resulting in blood leakage).

I hope I'm wording this okay, because it occured to me that I may not be wording this to accurately indicate my question.

Yes, I know about rebound headaches, and that holds particularly true with people who take pain meds in moderate to high doses more than 3 times per week, and especially if the drugs contain caffeine. It's a double whammy if it's a product such as Excedrin which contains aspirin, tylenol and caffeine, and this is further compounded if the person taking these drugs drinks alcohol.

I think it was ***** article (that's how I actually got referred to this great site, through *****) -- that talked about rebound headaches.

It was odd because the article implied the rebound effects were specific to med use pertaining to headaches, but not as applicable or to the same degree when the same meds were taken for body aches.

Odd....

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Closed Thread