It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Doctor won't release

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2003, 01:31 PM   #1
    CRAZE

CRAZE HB User
    Post Doctor won't release

My neuro surgeon released me from work and now that I feel like I could go back to work, she says only with restrictions.
    Well the chicken ##@* company I work for will not let me return to work unless it is for full duty.
    So can I just fire my neurosurgeon, or does she control my being able to make a living now?
    I have to return to work because there is a layoff coming up and if I am on disability when they will lay me off and stop the disabilty and I will not be able to get unemployment because I am not able to work.
    What can I do ? So I will have no income at all.
    CRAZE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
    Merrida
    Inactive

Merrida HB User
    I understand your dilemna, but you also need to understand that from a legal standpoint, your income is lower down on the scale, -- their liability revolves around stating what your physical restrictions are.

If they say you can go back to work and you get hurt, that's their license that's on the line, their work, their income, their livelihood, and they answer to standards and guidelines of medicine backed by diagnostic testing, not opinion or hearsay. Hard science backs their decision-making and recommendations.

------------------
    Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Smile

Hi CRAZE,
    It depends on the situation. If you were injured on the job, then workman's comp may have the power to not allow you to just walk back in to full time work without medical approval. You can get a second opinion, though, which may be considered.

If the physician situation is private, then yes, you can simply ignore the doc, and do as you please.
    The medical field does not own you.

That doc may not take you as a patient, again, though.

There may be a law that say the company HAS to accomodate you at your level. Many lawyers give free consultations. I would call one.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 02-21-2003).]

Old 02-21-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    DO NOT GO BACK TO WORK UNTIL YOU ARE FULLY RELEASED!! If you go back to work with restrictions and something happens workmens comp will not have to cover you. Also if you reinjure something your insurance may not cover you either. Best to play it by the books and stay off work until you are fully ok for regular work.

Old 02-22-2003, 04:40 AM   #5
    CRAZE

CRAZE HB User
    I am almost certain, I will be laid off on the 2nd of March. At that time they will stop my disability payments. All I am asking is to be released March 1 and take a personal day for that day. I would not even have to go to work. Then I could sign up for unemployment benefits.
    I wish there was a law that says they have to let me come to work with some restictions. I also think there should be a law that keeps them from laying you off while you are off on disability. I already checked with the labor board and they said they can do whatever they want.She also said most companies would not treat an employee that way. This is a big company, (Bemis). It seems the bigger they are the worst they treat their employees.
    I stand to lose everything. I should have lied and said I hurt my back on the job, then they could not do me this way. goes to show it does not pay to be honest.
    Thank you for your input.
    CRAZE

Old 02-22-2003, 06:26 AM   #6
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

You can try appealing to the head honchos!

Do an internet search to find out who the owners are.
    It is possible they may help you.

This sounds like it is NOT worker's comp.
    If it isn't, do as you please.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
    Merrida
    Inactive

Merrida HB User
    It isn't a matter of finding another doctor because it isn't about what the doctors are saying, it's about the rules and regulations of your company, right? So even if you fired your doc or got a new one, the company rules still stay.

You always have the option to go against doctor's orders, but you just need to realize that in doing so, while saving your job or income in the short term, you just need to understand the risk that "may" occur if you get hurt on the job, get hurt in the future, or if you try to get or keep medical insurance. This may be grounds to lose your insurance benefits and it may be grounds to not get covered treatment if you get hurt again.

I would think the only way to deal with it is through appeal to the company. You may want to find a lawyer who deals with personal injury ASAP and see if there are some loopholes. Companies can make their own rules regarding requirements. I don't know how far you can fight that. Even if you get a lawyer to "force" them to take you back, you may also create bad blood "unofficially" regarding your company value.

Closed Thread