HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   Cannot lie "flat" on my back w/o pain (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/118728-cannot-lie-flat-my-back-w-o-pain.html)

Merrida 02-18-2003 06:59 AM

Cannot lie "flat" on my back w/o pain

I posted this in the back area too, but more thoughts are occuring to me.

I cannot lie flat. Such as flat on the bed, no pillow. Or flat on the floor, no pillow. (I have a number of lumbar spine issues and those cause me pain, but aside from those, this is separate). I get pain/discomfort/pressure in my dorsal area, between my shoulder blades, and in my chest, my sternum area, even my throat. I feel loads of pressure in my face as if I'm being strung upside down rather than just lying flat.

So when I lie flat such as even at the dentists, I "feel" like I am too far back and get the sensation that all the blood is rushing up into my face and cheeks and jaws and throat, etc. Then I get a lot of anxiety because it's hard to breathe and I feel this pressure in my head and chest.

It is not anxiety per se (ie: related to dental anxiety) because I get it lying in my house, on the floor or bed. And, whether I am at the dentist, floor or bed and just put one pillow behind me, I'm fine.

I didn't know if it was spine related (ie: dorsal) or if it was cardiac related (cardiac symptoms are often diagnosed based specifically on someone's ability TO lie flat without pillows), or if could be stomach related (such as GERD or something?) I've read a number of different possible explanations, none of which seem related to each other, (the above explanations are just what I came across on the net or through research) -- so I'm not trying to diagnose, just sharing what info I've come across, however relevent or not, to see what anyone else thinks or what anyone else has experienced in this regard.

[This message has been edited by Merrida (edited 02-18-2003).]

chiron 02-22-2003 08:43 PM

Consider reading "Beyond The Brain" by Dr. Stanislav Grof. Your neuropsychophysiological symptoms and how you perceive them may relate to his holotropic's research.

Merrida 02-23-2003 08:45 AM

Dr. John Sarno's books, "Healing Back Pain," and "Mind Over Back Pain" are also two books which deal specifically with the reality of pain which is that it all occurs in the brain, not the body. Pain is a perception, and the idea of thresholds or tolerances are aspects of these perceptions.

I've learned a great deal about "general" pain (I'm in chronic pain as it is) -- but this feels different to me in that it's an unfamiliar pain, it creates pressure, affects my breathing, throat, etc.,...

I realize pain is relative and subjective and open to interpretation, which makes it difficult to treat or categorize. I was still just hoping to get some idea on this particular array of symptom patterns under some very specific and exclusive circumstances (ie: physical position).

Thank you.