It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• I want to grow taller, and im in my mid twenties!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
    shumshum

shumshum HB User
    Post I want to grow taller, and im in my mid twenties!!

Is this possible naturally? will any suppliments help?

I dont know which forum to look at, can't find one that suits this topic

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
    friendlione
    Veteran
    (female)

friendlione HB User
    Cool

shumshum:
    At your age, it is highly unlikely that you will grow taller. Supplements will not make a difference.

You could wear shoes with the higher heels, like many people do. There is nothing wrong with that. I always wanted to be shorter. Look for the positives about being your height. Did you know that most male (and female) movie stars are very short?
    You are OK the height you are!

Old 01-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
    ilovesunshine

How tall are you? I am tall, I hated it when I was young and always wished I was short. I still wish I could be a little shorter. It's probably alot easier to get a boyfriend when you're short. And you can wear high heels and not have to worry about looking too tall.

[This message has been edited by ilovesunshine (edited 01-12-2003).]

Old 02-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
    Sehsun
    (female)

Sehsun HB User
    Thumbs up

I think that it is possible, even in your mid-twenties, to still grow. My drama teacher's sister grew a couple inches in her forties! You can still have hope!! I try to (I am 18 and only 5'1").

Old 02-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
    Merrida
    Inactive

Merrida HB User
    I believe it is impossible or at least incredibly and highly unlikely that you will gain height. People begin to LOSE height at this age on a regular basis because as the disks in your spine compress, they lose density and shrink, as they thin out, and you can lose a few inches.

You can certainly try inversion boots and such (but face a number of other potential risks like anyeurisms and such) but any increase will be temporary.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible.

You may want to look more at why you want to "grow taller" than looking into snake oils that try to convince you it is possible.

------------------
    Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
    ilovesunshine

Merrida, what you were saying about gravity affecting your body is right. I tried measuring myself in the morning and at night. I noticed that in the evening I am about a half an inch shorter than I was in the morning. Why does this happen? I never thought that this would be possible. I heard that once you reach your adult height you stay that way for the rest of your life.
    Now I just want to say that I don't dislike being tall. But sometimes I feel a little self-conscious about it and also it upsets me when people make fun of me for being tall. You had mentioned in one of your posts that headstands cause compression. I was feeling down about myself so I was doing the headstands for a while but I stopped that because they were giving me a really bad headache. Like I said before in one of my posts I will try the best I can to accept myself for who I am.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #7
    liza

liza HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Sehsun:
    I think that it is possible, even in your mid-twenties, to still grow. My drama teacher's sister grew a couple inches in her forties! You can still have hope!! I try to (I am 18 and only 5'1").
    Somehow there had to be miscommunication. Its physically impossible to grow taller at that age. Not even in your mid twenties. I think you were given the wrong information. Maybe the person told you that so you would feel better about your height. There is nothing wrong with your height by the way. If you are still concerned, you should talk to the doctor and ask that question. But I am sorry to say that its not possible.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:55 AM   #8
    ilovesunshine

Shumshum how tall are you?

Old 02-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
    Dr of Golf
    Inactive

Dr of Golf HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by shumshum:
    Is this possible naturally? will any suppliments help?

I dont know which forum to look at, can't find one that suits this topic

thanks!
    At your age there is little chance of growing taller. Your doctor "could try" giving you some HGH and see what happens, although HGH usually seems to work best during the teen years.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #10
    kynurse

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it is very unlikely that you will grow any taller. Human growth hormone (hgH) causes lengthening of the long bones up until adolecence. At that point the epiphyseal plates in the long bones fuse and no further bone growth will occur. There can be a range of ages this could occur at (my brother grew from about 5"4 to 6"0" while in high school, I was 5"4" in the 6th grade and STILL AM!), but I would say in most cases by your early twenties the epi plates have fused.

If the epi plates ARE already fused and an hgH supplement is given, the result can be acromegaly. In this disorder (which can occur naturally due to hypersecretion of hgH in adulthood) the long bones cannot grow...so bones which CAN still grow do: the bones of the face, hands, feet, etc. It can also cause swelling of tissues such as the tongue, etc. Not something I would care to experiment with, and since they are not reversible those symptoms would undoubtedly make you wish you had left well enough alone.

Closed Thread