It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

accupuncture and smoking

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
health seeker

health seeker HB User
Post accupuncture and smoking

I have tried to quit smoking for many years. I have now tried accupuncture - one visit two days ago. I received herb tea and some type of seed (5 of them, each ear) taped to the inside areas of the ear. I have not had a cigarette but do have the urge to smoke. I was instructed to put pressure on the seeds by squeezing my ear. I am loosing the seeds! I am pressing often. They said I would not need another treatment. I think I may need another one. Has anyone used this method with success? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2003, 04:31 AM   #2
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
You're actually pressing on tiny needles. Some forms of chinese acupuncture view the ear as a "model" of the fetus, and use the same pressure points on the ear as if it represented an inverted fetus (so the same points would be applied on the body -- it's just nifty to think of the ear separate).

Anyway those "seeds" are really small needles that have been placed on pressure points and taped. True, you're supposed to "massage" the points. Five seems a bit much though, usually it's just one or two. They're definitely going to come out.

If they're working for you and the only problem is that you're losing the needles, then make another appointment for another treatment to have the needles replaced -- explain to the acupuncturist why, as well as pointing out to him/her how much benefit you are receiving.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:37 AM   #3
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Oh, and PS: I've used acupuncture for years for various things from menstrual cramps and pains, to back and leg pain after a car accident, to dental pain and TMJ pain, and skin disorders. I've found that it greatly depends on the acupuncturist and your faith in them. Both are important (there are also different schoolings).

I've used chinese herbs without much success but I don't think I gave them a fair shot. The process of all the boiling of bark and herbs and distilling down and the taste was so nasty,...that I just never followed through. I also used the chinese pellets, and they definitely helped with compliancy issues.

I *think* the pellets helped but as I said, I did it in conjunction. I also traveled to several different practitioners, and then I found one that I thought really helped a great deal. I've had moxibustion and needles with electricity, I've had it in combination with massage and aromatherapy, I've really run the gamut, but all in all it still boils down to:

1) What you're using it for.
2) The style or teachings of the practitioner
3) Their skill, intuition, perception
4) Your faith in them

I found it great for pain control.

I know people who lost weight (using the needle points in the ears too).

So I suppose it can work if you believe enough in it and if you've hooked up with the right person.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
health seeker

health seeker HB User
Thank you for responses. It has been one week today.
I have only had one accupuncture session. I am going for another session tomorrow. I have not smoked. It is hard, but so far so good.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
kjlm1971
(female)

kjlm1971 HB User
I also used accupuncture to quit-- five months ago! It took several sessions for me. Also my accupuncturist taped radish seeds in my ears- not needles. I still see her about every 3 weeks- not for smoking but other stuff! (back pain, acne, heart paliptations, etc.)
Good luck- keep us posted on your progress!

Old 03-06-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Jooner18
(male)

Jooner18 HB User
Kjlm? Did it work?
Are you still not smoking? I would be interested in something like accupuncture if it really got rid of mental addiction. Something to take your mind off it anyways.

Closed Thread