It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• pancreatitis---HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2003, 05:29 AM   #1
    ladyeowyn

ladyeowyn HB User
    Unhappy pancreatitis---HELP!

Hi,

Has anyone here dealt with or had a friend/relative deal with pancreatitis? My ex husband, who is the father of my children, was diagnosed with pancreatitis right around Christmas. He actually was admitted to the hospital 2 weeks before (the VA hosp) but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. He had horrible pain in the stomach. The VA transferred him to another hospital and they immediately diagnosed it as gall stones and then discovered he had pancreatitis. His gall bladder was removed promptly but they had to hold off on removing his pancreas because of severe infection. When they finally got the infection down some they removed most of his pancreas. That was back in January. He's still in the hospital and has been frought with infection after infection and lots of pain. There seems to be no end to this. He is a transplant recipient (lung - May 2000) so of course he is on the immune suppressing drugs. The hospital he is at has an excellent transplant unit, so they know what they are dealing with.

I guess what I am looking for is someone who can tell me if this is the normal timeline for dealing with pancreatitis? Why does the pain continue? My poor daughters are having a tough time dealing with this (they are 17 and 21)...I just want to be there for them and know what to expect. Thanks

Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2003, 06:59 AM   #2
    MBULLICK57

MBULLICK57 HB User
    i am curious as to why he had a lung transplant. and why did he have part of his pancrease removed. my son has pancreatitis, abotu every other week for life and has not had his pancrease removed. most of the studies indicate that removing part of the pancrease will not solve the problem.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
    ladyeowyn

ladyeowyn HB User
    He had a lung transplant because of emphysema. It has nothing to do with the pancreatitis. They had to remove the pancreas I believe because it was necrotic.

Closed Thread