It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Don't like the way I look

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
ilovesunshine

Unhappy Don't like the way I look

I feel very weird about posting this, but recently I've been very down about my appearance. I am 25 years old and I look much younger. People always think that I'm only 19 or 20. I do look much younger. When I tell people my age they don't believe it. Also when I go out and order a drink I automatically take out my ID so I don't get offended.
Also I'm very tall and really hated it when I was younger. When I was in middle and high school people constantly teased me for being tall and to this day they still do. Whenever I lose weight and get skinny it makes me look like I'm much taller. People always ask me how tall I am. When I'm skinny they always think I'm 6'0 or taller. I'm about 5'9" or 5'10" I don't know exactly I haven't been measured in a long time. But I know I'm at least 5'9" I was that tall when I was 14 which was when I stopped growing. I may be somewhere in between that. I don't know but I always hated being tall and wished I could be short.
Also I have never had a boyfriend and never been out with a guy. I think it's because of the way I look. Whenever I tell people how tall I am they don't believe it and say that I'm 6'0 tall and I know I'm not. Someone once called me a liar when I told her my height and also about a year ago these 2 people kept teasing me for being tall and they were short and liked being that way. I feel so self-conscious about my height I am taller than some guys. I have been eating Burger King food that way I can gain weight and not look so freaking tall. I want people to believe me when I tell them how tall I am. I have also been doing headstands because I heard that supposedly they cause compression. I know I am just going on and on about this. But I just don't like the way I look. I feel that I'm taller than everyone. Is there anyone that can relate to me? Is there anyone here who is also tall?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
silverwill
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Hi! I'm also 25. I'm only 5'2" though. I really don't mind being short & I just realized how small I really am recently. (My perception of distance is a little off) Sometimes I wish I was taller so I could reach the top shelves in my own apartment without a chair, but mostly, I'm fine with it. I wasn't always though, I thought I was taller than I am & I was picked on sometimes for being so small. I learned to laugh it off & get cheeky about some stuff. I once asked a guy who was bothering me about my height, "Do you realize I don't need to bend over to bite your d*ck right off?" Just out of the blue, in mid-insult on his part. Scared the hell out of him! Never had a problem with him again.
I had a few tall friends though--here's some advice (I know I'm being childish, but I've seen people older than me do this) Next time someone asks you what the weather is up there, spit on them & tell 'em it's raining! Other than that, my advice is: either just laugh with them & picking on you won't be as much fun for them. A lot of times it gets people to leave you alone. Or play it up & get cocky.
Tall or short, I'm sure you're a beautiful person inside.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
1Dove
Inactive

1Dove HB User
Those two women must be really immature to be making fun of you. I thought making fun of people was something that middle school kids do, not adults. I have a feeling that those two women are a little jealous of you. Most people who are short wish they were taller. I'm 5'4", which isn't really that short, but even so I would love to have some extra height. You need to start looking at your height as a positive, and be proud of it.

Also, looking young for your age is actually a good thing. Someday you will be flattered when people think you are younger than you really are. I know this probably doesn't help much, but most people have something about their appearance that they don't like. It's just part of being human. Take care.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
Lily0727

Lily0727 HB User
So you are tall....big deal! I can tell you though the reason that you haven't had a boyfriend has nothing to do with how tall you are, but it has everything to do with your self esteem. People see right through people that have low self esteem and to many, especially guys, that's a real turn off. Let me tell you, God has a plan for you. Consider yourself lucky because alot of people that have had numerous dates or boyfriends or even perhaps spouses have gone through alot of hardships before finding "Mr. Right". God may be preparing you to meet Mr. Right, right off the bat but perhaps wants you to do some things first. You are a young 25. Enjoy your life that God has given you and know that he will bring that special someone into your life when the time is right. Meanwhile, give your self a makeover, a new hairdo, something that will make you feel good and work on that self esteem! Good luck and have some fun!

Old 01-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
friendlione
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Cool

ilovesunshine.
Yes, certain people are prejudiced toward tall people.
I used to be 5' 11" tall, before a serious accident.
I am still tall, just not as tall.

After I married him, my husband even informed me that he was so intimidated by tall women, that had I been the height I was, he would not have married me!
(shows how small his mind is!)

In grade school and Jr. High, I was treated like I was a freak. In high school all the short guys liked me. I was told I was very pretty, but, due to my self-consciousness, I never felt that way.

I was very thin, also, and several people swore I was six feet tall. Guys that were more like 5' 9" always were positive I was six feet tall, because they wanted to believe THEY were 5' 11"!

I have a daughter now that is six feet tall, and you are right, certain males are intimidated by we tall ladies. But Lily0727 is right, what they think is not a big deal!

I tell my beautiful, model-looking daughter to stand as tall as she is and to respect herself. I am telling you this, too. If others are rude, tell them you don't appreciate their rude remarks. You could ask them if their nose was always that long, sticking into other people's business.

There was once a young man that wanted me because I was so tall, as he was 6' 5" and hated bending over to short girls, but the relationship was very superficial and did not work out.

Learn how to be open and honest and a friend. If there is a guy that notices who you are, then maybe a relationship will work out at the right time. It can't work if it is based on looks. You are more than what you look like.

You are a valuable person. Dwell on that, and let yourself be who you are, the best you can be!
Don't try to ruin your back to cut down your height!

Old 01-13-2003, 12:43 AM   #6
gwle

gwle HB User
Hey Ilovesunshine,
Stop doing hand stands! They're not going to shrink you. It might allow you to think better b/c of all that blood in your head, that's it! LOL!
Be happy with your height! Alot of people would kill to be as tall as you. Think about it, you're the perfect height to be a model. Also, you would excel at most sports except for gymnastics. Midgets do better at gymnastics than normal people! LOL!
Besides, I talked to a few tall women. They prefer to date shorter men. Why? B/c they like the control, they like to dominate. If that's your taste?
Taller people are taken more seriously. I don't know why but taller people are treated with a little more respect from what I've notice.
Clothes look and fit better on taller people. Not much alteration needed. Think about this, when clothes and shoes go on sale you dont have trouble finding your size b/c that's what is left over: the big stuff.
Don't worry about your baby face/youthful appearance. Just with 1Dove had said, you'll enjoy it when your much older.
Personally, I am a guy and am as tall as you. I wish I was taller, like 6'2-6'3, so I could go for professional sports. Yes, there are some men who are intimidated by taller women. For me, I am not. I just don't find women who are taller than me attractive. I don't mind tall women, it's being skinny that bothers me! Skinniness looks so frail to me. It's like you gotta be careful around them or else they'll brake! hehehehe!

Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 AM   #7
Trinket
(female)

Trinket HB User
Wow Friend, what kind of accident made u shorter? I can't even imagine.

I am 5'9 and never had a problem with it. Actually I like it. I wouldn't change my height if I had the choice. No one else says anything bad about my height either. Actually, all of my shorter friends envy my height. I am not really out of the ordinary though. There are lots of girls I know that are 5'9 or taller. I do not see what the big deal about height is anyway. My short friends are usually the ones complaining about their height, but I can't see what the big deal is. Maybe the people being mean about your height are people that know you easily get offended by stupid comments. And maybe they like setting you off for fun. Or maybe they are actually jealous of your height and want you to think that you are ugly for being taller than them.

As for you feeling offended over looking younger, people always think I look 19 or 20 and I always have to show my license at a bar. I am actually 25 years old like you are. But I love that people think I look this young yet! Some of my friends are my age or younger even and guys guess them at 30! Let me tell you, they hate hearing that! I really do not understand why you take it offensively. If you ask me it is a compliment. It is not like they are thinking you are 12.

Old 01-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #8
manderee

manderee HB User
I am 44 years old and I am 5'10" tall. I love being tall, my clothes fit better and I get a kick out of people looking up to me...lol When I was a teenager, I hated being so tall because people made fun of me, I was called Twiggy a lot. But now I am glad I am tall. I had guys that were shorter than me ask me out when I was in my 20's, they liked being around a tall girl. Don't fret about your height, you will think differently when you get a little older. My husband is 6'5" tall and I wouldn't trade him for anything. One of my daughters is almost 4 feet tall and she is only 5 years old. We let her know it is ok to be tall and she is beautiful. I believe you are beautifull too. Take Care and God Bless.

Mandee

Old 01-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
buttonnose

buttonnose HB User
Don't feel so bad. I'm 5 ft 96 lbs and people think i'm 14 or 15 every where I go and I'm 25 years old. I figured that when I'm older ( in my 30's) I'll look like I"m in my 20's. Be happy you look young. It will pay off .

Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
Dramaqueen
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Hey,

I'm nearly 5'11 and female and I think its great! I can eat more than my friends without gaining weight, my clothes fit well, I carry myself better and people always say to me "Wow I wish I could be your height!"

Honestly, you have to learn to love your height, because its not somehting that can just go away. When you get older you supposedly "shrink" (my mates grandma was 5'9 now she 5'7) so just think of it this way: You'll still be a good height in your old age.

Models are tall-catwalk models have to be generally at least 5'10 so stand up tall and be proud of yourself girl!

Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #11
friendlione
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Cool

Trinket:
Not to take over the thread, but 30 years ago, I was a passenger on a Harley and was hit by a truck that ran us off the road, for some unknown reason. The impact crushed 2 and a half inches of bone from my upper and lower leg, then later on I allowed what turned out to be an experimental surgery to remove 2 inches from my other leg's upper bone.

I am now 5' 8 1/2 on one leg, and 5' 9" on the other.
My hubbie is the one that is 5' 11"!

My legs are rather scarred and misshapen.
I would give almost anything to have my gorgeous long legs back! But what I miss most is being able to run and be active. I learned the hard way that looks are far from the most important issue in life!

[This message has been edited by friend (edited 01-18-2003).]

Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 PM   #12
Trinket
(female)

Trinket HB User
Hi friend,

I am sorry about your legs. I have to admit though I am amazed you lived from an accident like that. It sounds like it could have had a tragic ending. You must have 9 lives. =)

Old 01-21-2003, 11:24 AM   #13
outofit

outofit HB User
You should be proud of how tall you are! I am a female at 5"10 and I have never been embarrassed by my height.
My husband right now is about a 1/2 inch shorter than me and he is always teasing me......as a matter of fact he calls me his Big Bird! I always tell him hey if you would have been bothered by me height than the night he met me on our blind date he would have never called me again ...........especially because I had about 1 1/2 inch boots on! I love being tall and let me tell you when you meet the guy that is going to love you for who you are you will know it!
My husband tells me now that he is proud to walk in the room with me because, I am tall and beautiful and attract attention and I am his! :-)
I hope everything works out for you!

Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 AM   #14
ilovesunshine

So what kind of accident did you get into that made you shorter? Someone did respond to a topic and said that headstands can cause compression.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:57 AM   #15
ilovesunshine

I did hate being tall when I was a teenager because people made fun of me, they called me big girl, too tall, etc. I don't hate it ahymore but sometimes I feel self-conscious about it when there are guys around that are shorter than me.

Closed Thread