It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Why can't I wear contact lenses, eyes too sensitive, any help would be appreciated!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
    pdrq221
    Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
    Post Why can't I wear contact lenses, eyes too sensitive, any help would be appreciated!!

I posted this in the 'eye and vision' forum, but figured I'd ask here too.-

I'm in high school right now, going to be a junior, and I've had glasses since second grade. Back then it wasn't a problem, and half the kids in my class had glasses too. But every year more and more people got the contacts until I'm like the only one with glasses still. I've tried to get contacts, but I can't even pu them in! Even with the assistants or whatever at the eye doctor, they can't get it in. Every time I/they try to put the contact onto my eyeball, my eyelids flutter and blink shut.
    My eyes are too sensitive to it I'm sure, but does anyone know why or what causes this?? I had dry eyes once and my mom gave me some eye drops to put in. So I tilt my head back and hold the eye dropper over my eye and squeeze and when the drop falls my eyes like freak and snap shut...I can't even put eye drops in!!

Does anyone know anything about this condition or what causes these overly sensitive eyes??? Or how I can help it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I would love to be able to wear contacts. Otherwise when I'm 18+ I might be tempted to get the Lasik surgery, about which I've heard mixed responses...especially about dry eyes and since I can't do eye drops that would be a problem for me...thanks

p.s.-my dad also wears glasses and can't wear contacts, but not because he couldn't get them in. he could wear them fine but if he wore them like three days in a row his eyes would get all red. so I'm not sure if it's 'genetic' or what..

if it helps, my vision is absolutely horrible (every time I go to the eye doctor my vision without glasses has decreased. my mom said once she got contacts her eyes stopped changing, but I can't get them in anyway! also I think I have an astigmatism too, if that affects it...but I know people with those who wear contacts)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
    Monday1954
    Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
    I am not a doctor but I did used to work as an optician. One of my jobs was to fit contact lens. Many people are like you, you closed and clinch your eyes when you see anything coming toward them. When I was working with someone that did this we were taught to stand behind them, tilt their head back, have them look down, I would put my left hand on their forehead, hold their top eyelid up very taught and slip in the contact, worked most every time.

I wear contacts and the best way to learn to insert them yourself is: lay a mirror on the table, bend over so you are looking in it, take your middle finger and hold your bottom eyelid open, have the contact on your index finger and slip it in, if you are still having trouble blinking use your other hand to hold the top eyelid open.

I started wearing soft contacts in 1980 and never had any problems - after they came out with the extended wear contacts I gave them a try, the ones I use are disposable and you are supposed to be able to leave them in but they make my eyes red too. I take them out at night and only wear them in the day. One thing that is different is the disposable contacts are thinner and tend to flatten out on you finger easier than the daily wear contacts I had. It takes practice but keep trying. It was worth it to me - I hated wearing my glasses as a teen-ager and young adult, contacts really helped my self esteem.

As to the vision changes, you can ask your doctor but to the best of my memory, contacts do make your vision better, you don't have the several inches between your eyes and the glasses. Also, young peoples vision changes rapidly, especially during puberty. After you get in your 20's your vision will stablize and you most likely will not change perscriptions again until you get in your 40's. Talk to your doctor and you may want to keep trying your contacts. Good luck

Closed Thread