It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Tonsil stones 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Post Tonsil stones 2

I've had those white spots on my tonsil for over 10 years. They came and went. I have never noticed that they immediately respond to antibotics or antifungal medications. I have read that they are related to food getting caught in pockets in your tonsil. But I no longer believe that is true or reasaonable.

I have watch my spots develop very carefully and it is now clear that these spots begin under the skin of my tonsil and slowly work there way out like a blood blister does on your finger. I think these tonsil stones are actually dead cells that have calcified because your tonsil has been fighting an infection. When they break onto the surface some food particles stick to them, but I think that is just incidental. If you break them open they are soft and sometimes smelly just like the stuff you sometimes get out of a rather large zit that is healing over.

In both cases I think they are the debri of a fight your body had with an infection. I had a 10 year battle with tonsil infections that finally stopped when it was discovered I had low thyroid and my immune system was screwed up. Since that time, my tonsil has been slowly shrinking in size and as it does so I get many of these white spots coming out of the tonsil. When the spot drops off, it often leaves a hole that goes some considerable distance into my tonsil. That hole slowly closes and disappears.

So if you have those white spots I think it represents an infection that you had or currently have. If your tonsil is even the least bit swollen then you need to first have your thyroid checked to make sure you have a normal immune system and then to on some long term antibiotic like doxycyline for a month or more to kill and eliminate what ever infection is causes your problem.

In my case I had to take 3 different antibiotics (penicillin, zithromax and cephalexin) one after the other followed by 3 months of Sulfatrim and an antifungal to kill the yeast that started from all those antibiotics. But my infection is clearly gone now and as my tonsil steadily shrinks it is showing more and more of those white spots. Which I think is a good thing because it is the residue of past infections.

I should also add that in a recent medical journal report "Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2002 Mar;53(3):207-10. [Report of a case: large tonsillolith in palatine tonsil] Cogolludo Perez FJ". It stated that a 69-year-old woman presented with a one-year history of tonsil stones. Computerized Tomography scan showed a big calcified lesion inside the tonsil not seen from the outside. A tonsillectomy was performed and a giant tonsillolith was found inside the resected piece.
    I think this is the first time computer tomography has shown these tonsil stones "inside" the tonsil.

Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 07-14-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Here are two more medical journal papers also reportint tonsil stones inside the tonsil completely discovered by accident.

"Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003 Apr;95(4):471-3. An unusual tonsillolith. Sezer B, Ege University."

They report the case of a large tonsillolith that was incidentally discovered during radiographic examination of the right jaw of a patient. The patient had no symptoms referable to the left tonsillar region.

---------------------

Likewise in, "comput Med Imaging Graph. 1992 Jan-Feb;16(1):59-61. A tonsillolith seen on CT. Espe BJ Department of Radiology, Linda Vista Community Hospital, Los Angeles" a large tonsillolith was seen by computerized tomography that was unseen upon simple examination.

Both of these cases show that the stones originate inside the tonsil and not on it's surface. Tonsilloliths on the surface of tonsils are the aftermath of a previous infection.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
    tressa

tressa HB User
    Hi,
    I am new to HealthBoards and so grateful to learn about tonsiloliths. I have had them for 20 years.
    Never knew what they were until now.
    My question is can they appear on the outside of the tonsil next to the crypt? I have them in the crypts both sides and recently discovered a white lump on the outside underneath the tissue kind of emerging through on both sides? I can't get them to move or come off. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tressa

Closed Thread