It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• chronic tonsillitis/antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
    amandadp

amandadp HB User
    Post chronic tonsillitis/antibiotics

Hi, i have had tonsil problems my whole life, though i did go through a few years virtually problem free, now, i have had strep throat 2 times in the past 2 months or so. i dont want to keep taking antibiotics, especially since i have a 2 year old son and choose to not give him antibiotics every time the doctor thinks he should have them. i have found that managing the pain is the best way to keep him happy and since i quit giving him antibiotics constantly he has been sooo much healthier. so i wonder if this wont work for me, i would like a few more suggestions about non-antibiotic, non-surgical relief. the strep is very painful and i need some sort of relief. im not anti-meds or anything but i would like to try to not use them if i can help it. i dont know if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

It's nice to want to avoid antibiotics and use natural means. But I hope your doctor made it perfectly clear that strep can turn into rheumatic fever which can damage your heart for life. Many people in the old days of no antibiotics died from that condition or were significantly disabled. You see, in the good old days people died from ear and throat infections. It wasn't all just a party back then. If your son has strep throat you could be setting him up for the same thing.

If you have had strep throat twice in a row, it meams you didn't get enough antibiotics the first time. Don't make the same mistake again. Keep taking your antibiotics til they are all gone and if the throat isn't better get back to the doctor for some more or a different antibiotic. It's not taking too many antibiotics that's a problem, it's not taking them for too short a time or at too low a dose.

This is serious stuff, not to be fooled with.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:28 PM   #3
    amandadp

amandadp HB User
    Thanks for the advice, i am aware that strep can progress to rhumatic fever. and my son's never had strep, he had several ear infections and i became leary of antibiotics when they really werent effective for him. anyway, i did go to the doctor today and got put on zithromax, and a suggestion to have my tonsils removed, unfortunately i do not have insurance so i cannot get it done. maybe the antibiotics will make me feel better.
    thanks again for the advice.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
    amandadp

amandadp HB User
    Thanks for the advice, i am aware that strep can progress to rhumatic fever. and my son's never had strep, he had several ear infections and i became leary of antibiotics when they really werent effective for him. anyway, i did go to the doctor today and got put on zithromax, and a suggestion to have my tonsils removed, unfortunately i do not have insurance so i cannot get it done. maybe the antibiotics will make me feel better.
    thanks again for the advice.

Closed Thread