It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• why does my left leg and groin hurt everytime i sit down?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    Post why does my left leg and groin hurt everytime i sit down?

someone please help, this has been going on far too long and is getting worse. it started out as twitching and now it just hurts and twitches. my left groin and leg hurt all the time when i sit down. after a while my leg starts twitching very bad down there and the twitching spreads throughout my body. i had a ct scan to check for a hernia, xray of femur done, vascular study to check good blood flow, an EMG to check my nerves in my leg, MRI of my leg to check my sciatica nerve as well as anything else. ive had all the blood work done, i have no tumor or anything like that. everything is normal. i am a healthy man. all i have is an anxiety disorder but that is because this pain is fueling it. i can barely sit through school and make it through class. i find myself skipping a lot. i can barely sit on this pc and type. i am getting an MRI of my pelvic area and leg to look further into my nerves and muscles. i do believe it has to do with mainly the muscles and perhaps nerves. this has been getting worse overtime. what could be causing this if all of the above is normal? it's a very dull pain that is from my left groin down my front quads but it can hurts below the butt too; it feels like the pain is coming from a muscle that is being pulled really hard but i just dont know. what can it be and is it possible that this pain has an actual name for it? can it be cured? any help is greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
    bassie

bassie HB User
    It sounds like you will have to wait for the MRI results first.
    Best wishes.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User
    Sly John,

Though you say you've had your sciatic nerve checked out it stll sounds like sciatica to me or a problem with your sacroilliac joint. I was stymied by the pain in my frontal quads and though the sciatic nerve is in the lower back I was astonished to learn that it can refer to so many parts of the body. I still haven't conquered it even though I'm doing all the exercises and stretches prescribed by my PT. Try seeing a "physiatrist" (doctor of physiotherapy). I also learned that I have Bursitis of my right hip. A
    "sacroilliac belt" can work wonders though I find it often is more uncomfortable than the sciatic pain.

I have also been for an MRI and a bone scan and though I don't hold out much hope that they will show anything more than I already know, I still hope for that "miracle" diagnosis that will make everything go away! (at least before the ski season!) I love downhill skiing with my kids and last year it was a quandry deciding which painkiller to take to make it through the day.

I've joined a club so that I can swim regularly (my other preferred exercise) as I've been told that exercise is crucial to sciatic recovery.

Hope this helps. I feel for you because this kind of pain can really put a damper on quality of life...take care...tagger

Old 10-23-2003, 04:12 AM   #4
    DJblod
    Inactive

DJblod HB User
    sounds more like it would be the femoral nerve affected if it is a nerve. can you control this movement at all for any length of time?

Old 10-23-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    thanks for the replies. yeah ive had a bone scan of my whole body as well and nothing shows up. since i am still young, i am hoping that over time it will get better on its own. it's so tough when you can't even sit down and enjoy a movie or sit down and concentrate during an important meeting. i can control the movements. i dont lose control or anything but my leg can twitch a lot and a lot of pain. it really does sounds like the femoral nerve, but I am not sure. i've had an EMG and it shows normal. But I suppose there can still be pain. How do you treat nerve pain such as this? thanks

Old 10-23-2003, 11:51 PM   #6
    just_nicki

just_nicki HB User
    have a look at the symptons for "piriformis syndrome" on the web as it is severly exacerbated by sitting and is alledgedly difficult to correctly diagnose through the tests u mentioned. Also look at "psoas syndrome" which is exacerbated by repetitive action such as cycling.
    I suffer from Piriformis and have the deep groin and buttock burning ache with the ocassional REALLY sore sharp stabbing pain down the back of my leg.
    Try some of the stretches and see how you go.

Old 10-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
    2001Flushes

2001Flushes HB User
    It seems typically, sciatica and disk herniations in the back will often cause pain in the buttocks and often down the legs and such as well. Other good suggestions above. A hip disorder or bursitis perhaps is what I would think first if the pain is more localized with radiation to the groin.

Old 10-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #8
    DJblod
    Inactive

DJblod HB User
    difficult to know just from a description but it could be restless legs syndrome

Old 10-25-2003, 06:31 AM   #9
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by DJblod:
    difficult to know just from a description but it could be restless legs syndrome

yes it could be this too. i stand up several hours a day when working retail. i was a cashier for 3 years so it's possible but i dont think this is the whole cause.

Closed Thread