It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• very large appetite

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
    RobH

RobH HB User
    very large appetite

I have an extremely large appetite, so large it is almost abnormal. I am 6'1" and about 205 pounds. I am not gaining or losing weight. I remember getting a very large appetite in high school but my mom says I did even before that. I have seen several doctors about it but none was able to find a cause other than to say that I must have a "high metabolism". I eat about 7000 calories a day. I know that is a large amount, but I am not a compulsive over-eater. I really get hungry for that amount. It is sometimes awkward and even embarrassing. Most restuarants don't fill me up and I am always getting hungry when no one else is. My friends are all used to the way I eat by now but with other people I often find myself making excuses for why I am so hungry. I want to know if there is a possible cause for this which could have been overlooked. I would like to know if anyone has heard of another case like me. Also, is there anything to do about it? I would also like to know exactly what is meant by "fast metabolism". I know you proccess food faster, but where is the energy actually going?
    Thank you for anything you can tell me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User
    Re: very large appetite

Have you ever had your cholesterol checked? Consuming that many calories, I was wondering if you had trouble keeping that where it is supposed to be. I have a big appetite to and no problem with weight, however I have to watch my cholesterol as it tends to go high.

Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I have no answer for you, but wanted to sympathize. I'm female, but I have the same type of metabolism. I neither gain nor lose weight, but I am always hungry and I eat all day (and no, I don't throw it up afterward). It seems like food goes straight through me.

I appreciate that it's hard for me to gain weight, but it's SO frustrating to always have to be thinking about what to eat next. You know what I mean? I'd like to be able to go do something for a few hours without getting hungry and having to think about food. I also get hungry before anyone else does.

Sorry I have no solution for you, but I know how you feel!

Old 12-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
    RobH

RobH HB User

I have had my cholesterol checked a few times. It is always around 200. the last one was 205.

By the way Timber, if I get to eat as much as I want at meals I usually don't have trouble geetting hungry ALL the time. I can go 4 or 5 hours without feeling too hungry. I normally eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, a late night snack, and sometimes an afternoon snack. I have trouble when I can't (or don't) eat as much as I want to. For example when I am going around the city with my friends, at noon we might stop for lunch somewhere. It is not unusual for everyone to be filled up except for me - even though everyone thinks I ate SO much. Certainly it will hold me over for awhile, but in a couple of hours I get pretty hungry again. That happened to me last friday (after Thanksgiving). No one could believe I was really hungry again and they didn't want to waste too much time so it took me an hour to convince them to stop at McDonald's. By then I was so hungry I put away a big mac, a quarter pounder, a large fries and 2 apple pies with no trouble. That's how I get my reputation as an emormous-eater and that is what I mean by an awkward or embarrassing situation. Everyone likes to ask questions which have no answer like "Why do you eat so much" (ans. "I'm hungry") and "how can you be hungry after that lunch?" (ans. "I just am"). That held me for the rest of the day but to be perfectly honest, if no one else was there, I would have eaten a bit more. I certainly wasn't "stuffed".

I don't feel like I have any medical problem other than a really huge appetite, but that does make me feel unusual sometimes.

Thanks,
    Robert

Old 12-10-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
    No_time_4_talk

No_time_4_talk HB User

I know that this will sound kind of dumb, but i was reading a magazine in a doctor's office and it was one of those teen magazines. A girl wrote in saying she had a large appetite, but neither gained nor lost weight. The answer she was given to her question was something about an imbalace in the thyroid. That can cause your metabolism to work faster. (when your metabolism is normal, you gain and lose weight in a healthy fashion, too slow and you gain weight, fast and the foods you eat are broken down more quickly, therefore leaving you from gaining any weight.) If you are truly worried about it, have a doctor check your thyroid. If it checks out okay, congratulations! you are one of those lucky people that can eat a lot and not worry. But, be sure that what you do eat is still healty, you never know when that metabolism could slow down.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

We have talked about this a few times recently. I am very small and used to eat way more than any of my male friends and family. I really felt as though I didn't get anything out of my food and it was getting expensive. I even thought I might have a parasite or something. I asked several doctors and they just told me to keep eating. I finally had a doctor tell me it sounded like I was hypoglycemic and that I needed to keep an eye on simple sugars and balance them with complex carbs and protein. Adding more protein to all my my meals and snacks helped me tremendously.

Ask for a thyroid test and a sugar test. A fasting glucose is good, but also a glucose level shortly after a meal. The diagnosis isn't an exact science, but following a diet for diabetes or hypoglycemia can help a lot.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
    ShaynaPunim

ShaynaPunim HB User

Holy crapola! A big mac, quarter pounder, large fries and 2 apple pies? How are you not in a stomach coma after all of that food?!?!? That's unbelievable to me. Wow! I picture a 500 lb person eating all of that. Let me say you are really really lucky to be able to eat the way you do and not be morbidly obese! I am chunky, and I eat pretty healthy. I would never eat what you eat. I'd be in the bathroom the rest of the day. My stomach can't handle foods like that. In addition, I see food like that and think heart attack platter. But I know I am overweight because it runs in my family. Lucky me right? I would go to the Dr and have that checked out. Do you exercise a lot????

Old 12-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
    RobH

RobH HB User

FLGirlyLawyer,
    A lot of people seem to react the way you do. That's partly what makes me feel awkward sometimes. That was actually just a slightly large afternoon snack for me. Some people do tell me I'm lucky to be able to eat so much but the problem is I get really really hungry if I don't. I don't like always explaining about my appetite. Often, if I'm with other people, I eat a "small" meal and hope to get more later. I have seen several doctors by the way. The doctor I saw in college told me that I had streched out my stomach so I had to eat a lot to feel full, and I didn't really need to eat as much as I was. I think that is true. In the dorms I used to get hungry at night so I would work at over stuffing myself every night at dinner. The amount I could stuff away did go way up and at other meals I probably ate more to feel full. It's not the whole answer though. I had a big appetite before college and I don't stuff myself like that any more, but I still need to eat more than anyone else. No doctor has been able to give me a reason for this. It never bothered me too much in high school or at the start of college. Later more people with your type of reaction made me wonder if there was something wrong. At my very best, about the 2nd year of college, I was able to put away a salad, breadsticks, and an entire large pan pizza supreme (from pizza hut) by myself. I didn't need to eat that much just to feel full, but I did it several times. I don't eat that much now, I eat about 2x what most other people do. When I'm normally hungry for dinner, 2 Denny's NY steak dinners are just about right to fill me up. Thanks for your posts. I just wonder what (if there is anything) to do about this.
    -Robert

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLGirlyLawyer
    Holy crapola! A big mac, quarter pounder, large fries and 2 apple pies? How are you not in a stomach coma after all of that food?!?!? That's unbelievable to me. Wow! I picture a 500 lb person eating all of that. Let me say you are really really lucky to be able to eat the way you do and not be morbidly obese! I am chunky, and I eat pretty healthy. I would never eat what you eat. I'd be in the bathroom the rest of the day. My stomach can't handle foods like that. In addition, I see food like that and think heart attack platter. But I know I am overweight because it runs in my family. Lucky me right? I would go to the Dr and have that checked out. Do you exercise a lot????

Closed Thread