It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Please answer if you have had strep throat or tonsilitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
    orgasmless

orgasmless HB User
    Question Please answer if you have had strep throat or tonsilitis

I would REALLY appriciate your input if you have ever had strep throat, or tonsilitis.

Three days ago I noticed a heavy feeling in one of my tonsils, it did not hurt, just felt heavy. Later that evening white streaks started appearing all over it and then it did start hurting. Most of my tonsil was covered in the white streaks, and it has a slight greyish tint too. That night I was in SO much pain I could barely swallow. The pain was not in my throat it was the tonsil that was causing the pain. My throat does not have any white streaks that I can see. I started taking a dose of Cephelexin that night ( I had a dose that I did not take from my dog bite months ago ) .

The next morning I had a HUGE white patch on my other tonsil but it did not hurt, and still does not hurt, but the left tonsil is still causing SO much pain. I have taken 5 doses of my antibiotic.

My question is, does this sound like strep or tonsilitis? I have also had chills without a fever, and I was shaking yesterday. My entire left side of my neck is tender, and in alot of pain, but the right side is basically pain free.

The spots appear to be getting brighter in color this morning, but have NOT even began to fade. I know I need to go to the doctor but I have a bill that needs paid and I only have $15.00 for the rest of the week, so I doubt that would be enough to pay them. I was hoping that my antibiotics would be enough??

How long do the spots last? The pain is a teeny bit better this morning but the white streaks are not fading at all. These are not tonsil balls, I get those all the time, and this is not that.

Anyone??? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
    html
    (male)

html HB User
    Re: Please answer if you have had strep throat or tonsilitis

I know you said that you don't have the money, but you really do need to see a doctor. If if is strep (impossible to diagnose over the internet), you need more than 5 doses of an antibiotic to iradicate it. Taking a small amount of an antibiotic sets you up for an infection that's harder to treat. If you do see someone, be sure to mention the antibiotics you took as this may cause a false reading on cultures and lead to the wrong treatment.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
    fudd

fudd HB User

And on top of what html pointed out, cephalexin is NOT indicated for a strep infection. Drugs for strep include clindamycin, penicillin, and vancomycin.

And on top of THAT, you should never take old medication for a new diagnosis. Although it might seem like antibiotics are antibiotics and painkillers are painkillers, they all have different actions, mechanisms, and are all used for different things. In some cases, you can even hurt yourself by doing this.

And on top of THAT - the bacteria that causes strep also causes about a dozen other diseases. Some you cannot get if you have the throat infection first. Others can result from mistreated or untreated strep throat. These can be very serious, so PLEASE get to a doctor soon. I know you are really short on money right now. There are free clinics within close range of most people nowadays - all you need is a quick swab and a prescription.

Last edited by fudd; 12-13-2003 at 09:55 AM.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

short answer is to get it treated properly now rather than get a more serious condition treated when you are admitted to emergency.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

It sounds like you have strep.

It was very irresponsible of you to reuse a few doses of antibiotics from a previous prescription. Doing that is what is leading to antibiotics becoming useless because of resistant strains. Furthermore, not all antibiotics are effective against all bacteria, so it might not even help your strep.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #6
    ShaynaPunim

ShaynaPunim HB User

It is definitely a throat infection for sure. Child, take yourself to the dr tomorrow! Go to a walk-in clinic if need be, but you will definitely need some strong antibiotics---something in the penicillin family!! I think it might be tonsillitis rather than strep. Usually you have a fever with strep. Then again, you usually have a fever with tonsillitis, but with me, I develop the fever a few days after the sore throat. Whatever the case, GO TO THE DR ASAP! I don't know about you, but I personally am bedridden when I have a case of tonsillitis--7 cases alone this year, hence why I am getting those biatches out tomorrow!!!!

Closed Thread