It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Has anyone ever heard of Post Viral Syndrome?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
    Missy603

Missy603 HB User
    Cool Has anyone ever heard of Post Viral Syndrome?

Hello,

I'm new to the board but I thought I would post a question anyway. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Post Viral Syndrome? Several doctors have told me that's what they think I have.

I've had it now for 9 months. I thought it was fibromyalgia but the last doctor (an internist) said no. That I didn't fit the criteria for that.

I have a tremendous amount of pain ALL THE TIME. It is mostly in my legs but does affect my elbows, shoulders and hips. It's just an all-over severe ache.

I've been tested for just about everything. I had a viral infection last January. That lasted 5 days. Then I was fine. All this nonsense started in March.

It has been a life altering change and not for the better.

I've been told this can last a year or longer. Apparently something in my body is severly screwed up and hasn't gotten back to normal.

I would greatly appreciate any info anyone has to offer.

Thanks, Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever heard of Post Viral Syndrome?

Hi,

Yes, I've heard of it...as a matter of fact I believe that's what half the population of the world is suffering from. I seem to fit into that category quite well. I had a doctor once tell me that we, the medical profession, don't really know what to do with people like you since you don't fit into our established criteria for disorders. That statement was pivitol in my perspective focus. It was confirmation that I wasn't losing my mind! The desperation completely left my way of thinking and I relaxed about my body's reactions because it made sense to me then.

When one has a viral infection and the immune system kicks in, sometimes it doesn't shut itself off and continues to fight the body. It's an autoimmune disorder and there doesn't seem to be much the medical community can do about it.

I would suggest to pursue it, look up all the information you can about it and try to keep your stress level down as much as possible.
    It's extremely easy for one to get caught up in an endless cycle of reactions with no answers or resolution.

The mind is a major player in this syndrome -- try not to let it get the best of you.

Try to set up some kind of mild exercise regimen, supportive friend/family circle, and once again be a detective (without feeling desperate).

Try not to use too many immune system boosters since it can also trigger the immune system to excellerate it's reactions (a fact that has recently come into circulation).

Eventually, things can even out --

Make sure also you've had blood tests, thyroid and other kinds of tests to make sure you haven't got another disorder that can be masked.

I wish you the best and that you feel better soon.

quincy

Old 12-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
    Missy603

Missy603 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I hope I'm doing this right. This site is very confusing to use. HA HA

I have had my thyroid checked several times and all my tests come back fine. They've tested for RA, Lupus, Leukemia, Lympoma, Lyme, did several CBC's. I've even had a knee xray.

Did you also have a viral infection that occured before you started feeling bad?

I have tried to look it up on the internet and I can hardly find anything out there on the topic. They always want to lump it in with Chronic Fatigue. I don't think that's it. I'm not tired or fatigue. Just lots of pain all the time.

It just goes to show you that our bodies are way more complicated than we think and that doctors don't know everything. HA HA

Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate knowing someone else has heard of this.

Missy

Yes, I've heard of it...as a matter of fact I believe that's what half the population of the world is suffering from. I seem to fit into that category quite well. I had a doctor once tell me that we, the medical profession, don't really know what to do with people like you since you don't fit into our established criteria for disorders. That statement was pivitol in my perspective focus. It was confirmation that I wasn't losing my mind! The desperation completely left my way of thinking and I relaxed about my body's reactions because it made sense to me then.

When one has a viral infection and the immune system kicks in, sometimes it doesn't shut itself off and continues to fight the body. It's an autoimmune disorder and there doesn't seem to be much the medical community can do about it.

I would suggest to pursue it, look up all the information you can about it and try to keep your stress level down as much as possible.
    It's extremely easy for one to get caught up in an endless cycle of reactions with no answers or resolution.

The mind is a major player in this syndrome -- try not to let it get the best of you.

Try to set up some kind of mild exercise regimen, supportive friend/family circle, and once again be a detective (without feeling desperate).

Try not to use too many immune system boosters since it can also trigger the immune system to excellerate it's reactions (a fact that has recently come into circulation).

Eventually, things can even out --

Make sure also you've had blood tests, thyroid and other kinds of tests to make sure you haven't got another disorder that can be masked.

I wish you the best and that you feel better soon.

quincy[/QUOTE]

The Following User Says Thank You to Missy603 For This Useful Post:
    aftermyownheart (02-04-2012)
    Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
    bassie

bassie HB User

Hi
    Just a question to consider. Are you on any medication that have these side effects ?
    (I am thinking of the Statin anti-cholesterol drugs that can give same symptoms).
    All best.

The Following User Says Thank You to bassie For This Useful Post:
    aftermyownheart (02-04-2012)
    Old 12-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
    Missy603

Missy603 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassie
    Hi
    Just a question to consider. Are you on any medication that have these side effects ?
    (I am thinking of the Statin anti-cholesterol drugs that can give same symptoms).
    All best.

No, I'm not on any meds that would cause this. I wasn't on any when it started either. It's very strange. I hope it runs it's course and moves on. HA HA
    Thanks for replying.

Closed Thread