It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• early menarchy...stunted growth?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User
    early menarchy...stunted growth?

I'll be posting on a few different boards a I'm trying to get an answer quickly. My daughter started her periods shortly after she turned 10 yrs old. This was a bit of a shock but our family doc didn't seem too woried about it. The other day I was talking to another "Swim Team" Mom and she advised me that her doc had put her daughter on a hormone to delay the onset of early menarchy. According to her doc early menarchy could stunt her daughter's growth.

Unforunately I forget the name of the hormone. I hesitate to introduce hormone therapy at such an early age. My daughter is very fit and eats a relatively healthy diet. I have noticed that her friends seem to be minimally taller than her lately and wonder if I am being alarmist. She'll be 11 yrs old May 2004. Should I be looking into this? She is of Asian background (adopted) and (I believe) is already taller than she would normally be due to our western diet, but still marginally shorter than some of her friends.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it...thanks...tagger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    Re: early menarchy...stunted growth?

It might not hurt to ask another doc. I believe the drugs they give for precocious puberty are GnRH agonists. The one I am on is sometimes used. It is called Lupron Depot. It may help to search for those terms and early menarche and see what you can find on your own.

I don't know how early is too early or what size is too small. My mom was 10 when she started. She was living on a tropical island and she is short, but not smaller than the women in her family. I had friends who were also ten and they were taller than me. I started at 12, but I am short like my mom. I have heard that some girls start too young if they are overweight. But, you said that your daughter is fit so perhaps it is just her time. A second opinion after a little research may ease your mind.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Don't mess with your daughter's body chemistry at this age. If her body weren't ready to be menstruating, it wouldn't be.

TONS of girls get their periods at 9, 10, or 11 these days. The age of first menstruation has gotten much younger over the last century.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:34 AM   #4
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Ten years old is not terribly early from what I hear about others (in the New York City suburban area). Eleven is the age I hear most often for girls starting (horrifying, isn't it?). So I don't think ten even qualifies precocious puberty these days.

The reasons for why girls are starting so much earlier is debated all over . . . the theories ranging from the growth hormones in meat and animal products to various forms of soy being added to just about everything to our extensive use of plastic. Who knows?

Old 12-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User

Thank you all for the feedback. I've been offline for a while and now the proud owner of a new Windows XP computer, which I'm only starting to navigate! I have the feeling that it's best not to fool around with my daughter's hormones. One of you mentioned Lupron. That in fact was the hormone mentioned. My daughter is of Asiian origin and is already (I think) above the growth curve for her age maybe due to our western diet etc. Though I am noticing that her friends of the same age are beginning to overtake her in height, this could be simply a fact of life and nothing to do with early menarche.

Now we have that issue out of the way I'm beginning to subtly (I hope) begin discussions about sex ed, STDs etc. She's pretty appalled by the whole thing which is fine with me! It seems so early to begin talking about these things but I thought it was early to discuss periods and it obviouslywasn't. She is in gr 6 and has taken the D.A.R.E. program at school. (discussions about peer pressure, drugs etc). Believe it or not, in gr 8 they cover Ecstasy, Raves and date rape! That's only 2 yrs away! Pretty scary stuff! She's quite beautiful with somewhat of an exotic appeal so we're going to have to keep up with all the new perils she may run into.

Thanks for the posts. I think I'll be able to keep up now with the new PC...Tagger

Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Hey Tagger,

Welcome back. I wanted to clarify something I wrote just because I know that this will remain in the archives on someone else may come back with the same questions later. I am not sure where my head was when I wrote about girls menstruating when they are overweight. This isn't exactly what the research shows. When I was learning about anorexia and also about extreme ahtleticism in grad school, we were taught that menstruation is a function of the lean to fat ratio, not weight. There is a relationship (that probably isn't entirely understood) between estrogen synthesis/storage and fat. A girl simply has to have enough fat to support menstruation, she does not have to be overweight. I guess girls that are overweight will tend to get there sooner than girls that are underweight, but a girl that is at an ideal weight will get there, too.

I hope this has made some sense. It's actually a pretty complex topic. Good luck teaching your daughter about the birds and the bees! I don't envy you!

Nik

Closed Thread