It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• This year's flu has been causing my heart to go crazy (starting to get pretty scared)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #1
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User
    This year's flu has been causing my heart to go crazy (starting to get pretty scared)

Well, seems i have the flu, i'm not sure, haven't had syptoms really aside from nausia, dizzyness, and the only way to describe the last one is "blah". I've been to doctors twice and they just prescribed me Allegra-D and Antivert.

The problem is, when i was prescribed Allegra-D, they didn't have on record i have a mitrul(sp?) valve prolapse. After taking the D it sent my heart in a frenzy, heart calmed down...sort of, rate is still irregular though. I've been sleeping during business hours so i had my mom call a cardiologist about what has been going on, they said it sounds like the flu is stuck in my valve of my heart and can't get me in until mid January.

Heart beat has been a little rough the past few weeks after the Allegra-D, but nothing serious, just beating a little harder than normal. Around midnight tonight i wake up after sleeping 8 hours and feel horribly nausious after being up for about an hour and decide to go to the restroom incase i start vomiting or have diahorrea. As i'm sitting my heart starts violenty racing to the point i actually thought it was going to explode. I looked down to see my chest and stomach violently pulsing with my heart rate, i got very shakey and very weak, horrible hot flashes and dripping with sweat, short shakey breaths... I remained calm until it settled down, now i'm here about an hour later. Heart rate seems to be back to the slightly irregular beat it was yesterday.

What is going on with me? this is scaring me so bad.

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-26-2003 at 02:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: This year's flu has been causing my heart to go crazy (starting to get pretty scared)

If you have a fever, it is VERY common for fevers to cause racing heart beats and palpitations. Or, you could be having a reaction to the medication they prescribed. That sounds like a possibility to me.

However, it sounds to me like you don't have the flu. The flu doesn't cause nausea or vomitting, and your symptoms are not severe enough to be the flu. Flu causes high fever, headache, and bad joint/body aches.

Anxiety and panic are also common culprits of racing heartbeats.

Old 12-26-2003, 06:42 AM   #3
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User
    Re: This year's flu has been causing my heart to go crazy (starting to get pretty scared)

I have had the headaches, no real muscle and joint pains aside from almost constant muscle spasms. Doctor told me the dizziness and nausia was associated with an inner ear infection from the flu.

I have no fever and haven't taken any medicine for 2 weeks now.

MVP runs in my family and unfortionately on both sides, i just guess with age it's getting worse.

Edit: I just had a talk about this with my mother, appearently my grandma on my father's side quite frequently has the same thing i just had. Her's didn't clear up on their own though, it has to be regulated in the ER.

Hopefully within the next few days this clears up and i can leave the house to have it checked out with a Cardiologist. Right now if i even try to get up, it starts racing, not nearly as bad as earlier, but still enough to make me not want to get up.

This has been going on for well over a month and just keeps getting worse as the days go by.

This person seems to be going through the exact same thing i am, yet she hasn't had the "heart attack (for lack of better words)" that i had.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=136456[/url]

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-26-2003 at 07:07 AM.

Old 12-26-2003, 07:27 AM   #4
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

I would insist that your doctor treat it immediately. I might be being an alarmist here but I just found out that an old friend of my husband, in his 40s, had the flu, then either bronchitis/pneumonia, and it all finally caused a heart attack. His funeral is tonight. I know that's probably an extreme but I wouldn't mess around this flu season.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #5
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

I'm starting to think being stressed out about this is causing my problems to become even worse.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You don't have the flu. You don't have the symptoms of the flu. The doctors should not have told you that you have the flu, especially not without doing a culture and confirming it.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:50 AM   #7
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

Well, i feel a little bit better today, i forced myself to sleep 15 hours and took an asprin when i woke up. Still don't feel myself, but a little better than yesterday.

Like i read in another post on these boards, i think i'm definately sick with something and i'm very sensitive to animal dander, dust mites, ect. While i'm sleeping my body is actually working in overdrive trying to fight off what i'm allergic to and what i'm sick with.

This had been going on for 6 weeks, that's what i'm concerned most about.

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-27-2003 at 02:55 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 02:47 AM   #8
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

I spoke too soon, i can't eat or even drink anything today. My stomach feels full, but i haven't eaten anything in two days aside from a small bowl of canned fruit. I tried drinking a "Boost" supplement drink when i woke up, it made me horribly sick to my stomach, so i tried water, same thing. It keeps feeling like it's going to come back up, but it's not, only partially, I'm very tired, even after sleeping 29 of the past 40 hours.

Any suggestions? Would taking more than one "one a day" vitamin be good in place of the meals i'm not getting?

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-28-2003 at 02:49 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:37 AM   #9
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder? It sounds to me like a lot of your symptoms are from serious anxiety. And, people diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse are much, much more likely to also have an anxiety disorder.

Drink lots and lots of water. It'll help your heart and body feel better.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #10
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i don't know much about this subject, except for the fact that a very very dear friend of mine was complaining of an upset stomach, sweats, headaches, being dizzy, just feeking "blah" as you put it. she complained for about 2 weeks and said she would go to the doctor after thanksgiving if it continued as she was going to visit her sister out of state. she was pretty stubborn. this was in 2000. she died on november 17th of a heart attack. she had been to the doctor on and off for various reasons, but none of the doctors put 2 and 2 together. i don't want to scare you, but given that you have a heart problem, you need to get this taken care of ASAP. hope you are ok.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, i honestly don't even know what it is.

Nyxin,
    How old was this friend? I feel it's unlikely for me to have a heart-attack at the age of 18...

Old 12-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #12
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by O 16581 72452 5
    I haven't been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, i honestly don't even know what it is.

Nyxin,
    How old was this friend? I feel it's unlikely for me to have a heart-attack at the age of 18...

hello,
    i had no idea you were only 18. she was 52 when she died. you might want to check out the panic disorder or anxiety page. i have panic attacks and my heart goes nutz as well as sweating. you just mentioned some other things that sounded like my friend so i wanted to let you know. i am only 27, but her and i were great friends as we showed horses together. i miss her a lot.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #13
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

Okay, that's reassuring.

I'm sure this is stress related and hearing about people dying certainly isn't the cure for it.

I have been under some stress lately, i got very stressed out at a party before the symtoms kicked in. Pot and MVP don't mix too well and the paranoia pot gives natually doesn't help, after this i went to a party next weekend and noticed my heart acting very strange from drinking alcohol, i again got very paniced from it.

Next is finals week in my first semister of college, i've got two major projects due one of which is a speech. (symptoms were first noticed before this though) Forgetting about the speech i find out it was due while i was sitting there, i got very nervous and tried to give the speech anyway from BS. I stood there in shock not knowing what to do and just sat down, after that the symptoms started getting stronger and stronger. After symptoms continued i finally went to a doctor which paniced me even moreso because i went without any sleep because of my schedule. Over 24 hours with no sleep and what i'm going through really stressed me out. I guess i'm just very scared because i don't know what's happening to me, i don't know if it's a virus slowly killing me, or if it's simply stress.

The cardiologist i chatted with said it's possibly the flu virus attacking that valve of my heart, I've got to be in court this month, i've got to see the cardiologist this month.

I guess everyone is right when they say it's stress, i just realized how much i've been under lately.

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-28-2003 at 11:26 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:17 AM   #14
    O 16581 72452 5

O 16581 72452 5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyxin
    hello,
    i had no idea you were only 18. she was 52 when she died. you might want to check out the panic disorder or anxiety page. i have panic attacks and my heart goes nutz as well as sweating. you just mentioned some other things that sounded like my friend so i wanted to let you know. i am only 27, but her and i were great friends as we showed horses together. i miss her a lot.
    I know what it's like to lose someone close, i lost a good friend of mine, my Grandmother and Great Aunt (both practically raised me since i was born) in the last two years. I just had to keep in mind that death is part of life. I personally wanted to smack the friend of mine for killing himself... he had everything going for him, great family, wealthy, studying to be a neurosurgeon in college, had the world going for him, i can't believe he threw it away.

Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-28-2003 at 11:18 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #15
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hind sight is 20 20 eh? i am sorry to have frightened you if i did, and i am glad in a wierd way to know that it is stress, not a heart attack. i am very sorry you have had such a rough go recently, and hope you do check out the stress page at leaset. i think you can learn quite a bit and possibly help yourself more than you thought you needed. best of luck.

Closed Thread