It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Pain in the lower-right abdomen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
    glitterstars

glitterstars HB User
    Pain in the lower-right abdomen

Hey everyone,
    I didn't know where to post this, so if this is the wrong forum; I'm sorry.
    For the past four days I've been having pain in the lower-right section of my abdomen. It's mainly there when I sit or lay a certain way, or press on it. I haven't had any change in bowel movements, nor do I have a fever. But the pain also sometimes spreads into my leg.
    I'm only 22 years old and female. Does anyone know what this could be?
    Help me out here..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
    bassie

bassie HB User
    Re: Pain in the lower-right abdomen

Hi glitterstars

Have you still got your appendix?
    Appendicitis would be a likely reason for the pain at your age. The pain can be relieved by drawing up the legs while lying down and increase when you straighten them.
    Try lying flat and pressing down on your right side and then suddenly let it go. If that is particularly sore it could also indicate appendicitis. (rebound tenderness).
    Don't leave it too long before seeing a dr.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
    glitterstars

glitterstars HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassie
    Hi glitterstars

Have you still got your appendix?
    Appendicitis would be a likely reason for the pain at your age. The pain can be relieved by drawing up the legs while lying down and increase when you straighten them.
    Try lying flat and pressing down on your right side and then suddenly let it go. If that is particularly sore it could also indicate appendicitis. (rebound tenderness).
    Don't leave it too long before seeing a dr.
    That's just the thing, it hurts more when I raise my legs like that. I have done what you suggested a few times. It hurts more when I press it, not after.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
    bassie

bassie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glitterstars
    That's just the thing, it hurts more when I raise my legs like that. I have done what you suggested a few times. It hurts more when I press it, not after.
    Hello again

Well I wasn't much help there was I except to maybe rule out appendicitis.
    (Actually I would not never rule it out because it can present differently in different individuals and is such a common cause of abdominal pain.

However you could consider if you might have a muscle strain or even a small hernia. This might account for the pain going down your leg at times. Do you recall straining recently to lift something or even sneezing (while lying on your back) which gave you a sharp jab in the lower abdomen.

It is good that you have noted: I haven't had any change in bowel movements, nor do I have a fever.
    Do watch if that changes.

If you think a strain is possible, ibuprofen for a few days may be of some help to reduce inflammation. It may generally help as well but is not strong enough to mask an increase in pain if something is developing.
    A hot water bottle or similar heat treatment may give relief.

I hope this may have been of some help. Best wishes.
    Respond with any other thoughts, questions whenever you wish.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Pain in the lower-right abdomen

Take it from me, appendicitis can have non specific symptoms. The pain can even come and go for quite some time before the major attack and risk of rupture will happen. I had mild on and off lower abdominal pains for nearly two years and coudn't think it was the appendix because it wasn't always in the exact area where the pain would be expected. It wasn't the classic "sharp lower right sided pain with nausea and fever" that we associate with appendicitis. One day, pain in the lower right became very disturbing but I still thought it wasn't the appendix because I had no other symptoms and the pain went away in a couple of days. Then one day, I slowly developed some odd abdominal pains and pressure that felt like indigestion but I just knew something wasn't right somewhere, as the pain got stronger and moved all around the lower abdominal area. I went to the ER and ended up having my appendix taken out. To make a long story short, please don't take the chances I did for all that time and ignore what could be a bad appendix because you don't know which episode of pain is going to be the critical one where it has to be removed.

Last edited by isolated one; 01-28-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
    sweetpoison68
    Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isolated one
    Take it from me, appendicitis can have non specific symptoms. The pain can even come and go for quite some time before the major attack and risk of rupture will happen. I had mild on and off lower abdominal pains for nearly two years and coudn't think it was the appendix because it wasn't always in the exact area where the pain would be expected. It wasn't the classic "sharp lower right sided pain with nausea and fever" that we associate with appendicitis. One day, pain in the lower right became very disturbing but I still thought it wasn't the appendix because I had no other symptoms and the pain went away in a couple of days. Then one day, I slowly developed some odd abdominal pains and pressure that felt like indigestion but I just knew something wasn't right somewhere, as the pain got stronger and moved all around the lower abdominal area. I went to the ER and ended up having my appendix taken out. To make a long story short, please don't take the chances I did for all that time and ignore what could be a bad appendix because you don't know which episode of pain is going to be the critical one where it has to be removed.
    Call your doc soon.I had this exact pain from a large cyst on my right ovarie.I also had pain going down through my groin to my leg...Just my story im not a doc...
    SP68

Closed Thread