It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Whey protein

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
    Brego

Brego HB User
    Whey protein

Can you be allergic to whey protein? I keep getting sore throats after taking it I think. Can I have some food allergy? I am not allergic to peanuts and I'm not lactose intolerant. I don't see what could be causing the sore throats when I take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User
    Re: Whey protein

Isn't whey the same thing as gluten? You might want to try looking up celiac disease.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
    Brego

Brego HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Susannah
    Isn't whey the same thing as gluten? You might want to try looking up celiac disease.
    I don't think I have celiac disease. I have none of the symptoms listed and can eat the things they listed w/ no problems. It's just a throat problem I get when I take whey protein. It goes away after awhile though.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Whey is the liquid (opaque) that's left after milk has been coagulated (curds,curdled)....you know when they make cheese or junket? Little Miss Muffet was eating her curds and whey (junket) when the spider came down beside her.
    It's milk protein.

Are you drinking a specific brand? What other ingredients are in that mixture? Do you react to any other brands?
    Would you list the ingredients here?

I know what you mean by the sore throat (sometimes accompanied by pain lower down) ....I've just begun eating raw pecans with almonds for the past 2 nights. I have a bit of a sore throat from them. Interesting I was testing that out again tonight and saw this posting.

I sometimes react to certain oils, exactly what I don't know....pecan now seems to be one culprit.

Peanuts are beans, a different kind of protein.

I hope you get it figured out. I know protein drinks can be expensive....if you do an ingredients comparison, it may not even be the whey.

Keep us posted,
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 02-11-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
    Brego

Brego HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy
    Hi,

Whey is the liquid (opaque) that's left after milk has been coagulated (curds,curdled)....you know when they make cheese or junket? Little Miss Muffet was eating her curds and whey (junket) when the spider came down beside her.
    It's milk protein.

Are you drinking a specific brand? What other ingredients are in that mixture? Do you react to any other brands?
    Would you list the ingredients here?

I know what you mean by the sore throat (sometimes accompanied by pain lower down) ....I've just begun eating raw pecans with almonds for the past 2 nights. I have a bit of a sore throat from them. Interesting I was testing that out again tonight and saw this posting.

I sometimes react to certain oils, exactly what I don't know....pecan now seems to be one culprit.

Peanuts are beans, a different kind of protein.

I hope you get it figured out. I know protein drinks can be expensive....if you do an ingredients comparison, it may not even be the whey.

Keep us posted,
    quincy
    Hi Quincy. I am drinking GNC 100% Whey Protein. Here are the ingredients:

Proprietary protein blend (whey protein concentrate, ion-exchange whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey peptides) cocoa, artificial flavor, lecithin, salt, acesulfame potassium, cellulose gum, xanthan gum.

I am not allergic to milk. I can eat peanuts. I eat cashews all the time, and I can eat snickers or candy w/ nuts in them, but i never eat nuts plain. All I get is a sore throat, tonsil problems. I am still nto sure if its the protein or not. It has gone away, and colds are going around campus here. I just wish I knew, because this stuff works and it was expensive.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #6
    Brego

Brego HB User

Also, would soy protein maybe be a better choice? I could try it and see if I have any reactions to that here in a few weeks.

Old 02-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi, doesn't seem anything that's not in any other everyday preparations one would take. It could be something as simple as an artificial flavour. Not much in it, tho.

OK...(I love being the detective) what does your daily food intake look like, including vitamins, other meds, etc? It could be that you are having a bit of reflux after taking it? Are you lying down afterward? running? exercising? Do you eat cashews with it? I get sore throats from some toothpastes.
    It might be coincidence.

As for the sore throat, it could be coincidence once again. If you're having chronic tonsil problems, check it out with the doctor. (also check out the very first thread on tonsil stones which has mega replies...not the one recently on the boards. Do a search on tonsil stones on this board... Maybe that would help you out.

You can try this...don't take it for four days (that's the time frame for allergies and sensitivities), then start taking it again slowly so that it would be obvious as to whether your symptoms are connected. Keep a diary of your activities, intake, ablutions..etc and see if you are still bothered by the sore throat. If not, it's probably the whey protein preparation.

Hmm, bummer if you can't use that since you like it so much. Are there any others that you could try instead? What about if you went to GNC, or write them through email and they may offer you another product to try?

Hope it gets figured out.
    quincy

Old 02-13-2004, 02:11 AM   #8
    Sweetea

Sweetea HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Whey protein-SILK (Vanilla flavoured) mmmm

Hi I'm allergic to whey protein as well as dairy milk lactose. I know that I use soy milk instead it I'm not sure if I'm allergic to that as well, b/c I still seem to get the same reactions. I wonder what it could be. I know that if you're allergic to whey protein you'll get an itchy rash and if you're allergic to the milk lactose you'll get gasteridis (not sure about that spelling) but basically you'd get the runs/diahrrea. Yeah, so maybe soy milk will help you. Actually,

I found the best tasteing soy milk to be "SILK" but the "Vanilla" flavoured one. It tastes way better than regular milk as well.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
    Brego

Brego HB User

I don't get a rash from whey, and I can eat any dairy product you throw at me. I am taking Centrum vitamins in the morning. After I take the Whey I take a shower, and it seems I get really hot, then the throat started "itching" I will read up on tonsil stones. I recently had one of my tonsils removed it got so bad. I still have one though.

Closed Thread