It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Effexor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
    Lightbulb Effexor

I just returned from my phsycologist today and learned something new about the drug Effexor XR that I had taken since I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2001. First of all, I had requested that he take me off the Effexor and put me on the new Wellbutrin XL. My goodness, the withdrawl effects from the Effexor were hideous! Nausea, dizziness , increased pain from my Fibro, and extreme tiredness. He told me that this was normal, but he asked me an interesting question. He asked me if I felt anything good from the Wellbutrin. Explaining that Effexor basically nullifies your emotions, making the user unable to feel strong emotions. Taking Effexor will allow you highs and lows, but it works to keep those emotions "level". I was amazed! I told him, yes, I had noticed, first and foremost, my libido was beginning to return, which had disappeared while taking Effexor, and also that I was feeling more "weepy" than usual. He said that was normal also. I thought about this, and from April through September I witnessed my mother die from cancer. She died in September 2003, but I never ever really broke down. I cried, a little, but not intensely. Which made me mad and glad at the same time. The Effexor I could say helped me stay in control during all of this, but it also robbed me of emotions that I couldn't experience or feel. That made me mad! It feels to me that Effexor robbed me of my emotions for all that time I was taking it. No wonder I had no libido! You have to have emotions to want to have sex, ( usually ). Effexor may work for a lot of people, but I think docs should be careful how they give that drug out. They should tell you that if you ever want to come off of it, you will experience some pretty hefty withdrawl symptons. I couldn't even drive for 4 days. Also, for those of us with Fibro they seem to hand it out as a serontonin reuptake which is great, but they fail to tell you that you may become an emotionless zombie! So this is what I learned today. I am glad at the age of 45 I can still learn things and grateful that taking Wellbutrin XL will keep my recent diagnosis of depression in check, but still allow me to finally grieve the way I am supposed to for the loss of my mother.
    If this info can help anyone, I am happy. If not, I am happy anyway!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Re: Effexor

Hi, Thanks for the info!! I have been on it since July 2002, I am actually off and on because I don't have a car and not able to get my refills in time. I had pretty much the same with drawls when I would miss it for a week or so. I hate that but I'm taking it again and will try harder to get my refills in time.

Thanks for the info again!!!

Becky

Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollygirl05
    Hi, Thanks for the info!! I have been on it since July 2002, I am actually off and on because I don't have a car and not able to get my refills in time. I had pretty much the same with drawls when I would miss it for a week or so. I hate that but I'm taking it again and will try harder to get my refills in time.

Thanks for the info again!!!

Becky

Sorry, I meant to say July 2003!!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
    bassie

bassie HB User

Hi
    Do you have any knowledge of the Wellbutrin XL side effects by chance? thanks

Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassie
    Hi
    Do you have any knowledge of the Wellbutrin XL side effects by chance? thanks
    Hi bassie! I just changed from the Effexor XR to the Wellbutrin XL. If you read my original post it may some of the side effects of the Wellbutrin. But basically, I just felt nausea when first taking it. I have taken it now for only 3 weeks, and still have a bit of nausea, but it seems to lesson each day. I like taking it, because as opposed to the Effexor, I can actually feel my emotions, but they aren't out of control. It also doesn't rip your libido to shreds! But so far so good. If you are thinking of asking your doc for a prescription, it's okay as long as you can deal with the nausea. I just sip a little Pepto! I also know that on all the adds for this med it says you could in rare cases have a siezure. I think that chance doesn't sit well with some folks, but hey, they probably have a pill for that too! I hope this helps. Also, do a web search on the med, there are a lot of sites that will list the pros and cons of the drug.

Good luck!

Closed Thread