It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Where did my 4-month old granddaughter catch the flu?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #1
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User
    Where did my 4-month old granddaughter catch the flu?

My 4-month old granddaughter is in the hospital right now; she's been in since Saturday night but will be coming home tomorrow. My daughter and her husband took her in because her fever went up to 102. After running Lord knows how many tests on her, they finally told us she had nothing serious, just the flu (unfortunately we were all around her before we knew so I'm hoping none of us catch it now, especially me with asthma). Anyway, my question is - where did she get it? My daughter is convinced she got it at day-care, but the incubation period doesn't coincide - she's only in daycare Tuesday's and Friday's, and she started getting sick on Saturday. With the incubation period of 2-3, neither day at daycare sounds right. I mean, if she was exposed on Tuesday, she certainly would have been sick long before Saturday, and if she was exposed on Friday, I wouldn't think she would be showing symptoms as early as Saturday. My husband suggested that maybe the incubation period is shorter for a baby than it is for us....My daughter thinks she was coming down with it all week because she thought she had a cold last week-end, but I tried to tell her that I don't think the flu would take a week to show itself because I've always been told that's how you can tell the difference between a cold and the flu - a cold will take a couple of days or so to reach it's peak, whereas the flu will just suddenly hit you. So coming down with 'the flu' 6 days ago but not showing a fever or any distressing symptoms until now doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone know more about this than we do, or can offer some insight? Normally I would just think the mall or some other place, but that baby hasn't been anywhere else all week except for the two days at daycare and Wednesday at her Grandparents. Now, Wednesday sounds like that would have been the day she came in contact with it, but neither grandparent over there is sick. Has anyone else been in this situation or can offer an explanation? My daughter is set against taking her back to daycare now because of this, but I'm not so sure that's where she got it.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Where did my 4-month old granddaughter catch the flu?

It's my understanding that the incubation period is closer to 4 days, but it's not an exact science.

Someone who is around her could have touched something, brought something home that had the flu virus on it -- door knobs, shopping cart handles... That's why we wash our hands constantly and use that anti-bacterial stuff. When people come to visit our house, before they can touch/hold the baby they have to wash their hands.

also, if you're concerned for yourself -- ask your doctor about prescribing tamiflu. So if you get the flu it'll decrease the symptoms and prevent you from spreading it. Have you had a flu shot? Might be a good idea to get one. and next year, your grandchild should also get one. As well as anyone who lives in the house or is around the child quite a bit.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 02-16-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
    Broadwaygirl03

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

I can probably tell you she got it from day-care. I work at a day care with 18 month old kids and they are always sick. It doesn't matter whether she is on daycare one day a week or every day. Often people are most contagious a day before symptoms even arise so whoever was incontact with her may not have known that they themselves are sick. The flu can be pretty bad. In my center the fevers are really high. Just yesterday I took a temp. of 102 and in the hight of the flu season I took a 103 temp on a kid. It may have come on slowly for her, I mean, she's 4 months old and if she has just a slight sore throat she wouldn't be able to say "Hey, mom...".

On friday I had a really cranky kid in my room so I took his temp. It was 102 and he was miserable so I held him for a long time. Now on Monday I'm starting to feel a little funny and will probably be sick in a day or two. Kids are germ carriers, there's no way around it. Kids in contact withother kids will get sick often. In my center we almost had to close the school because so many kids were sick. I'd tell your daughter just to keep incontact with the care-provider at your center. We always keep our parents up to date on what's going around. It's inevitable that kids in daycare or preschool will get sick often. This is my first time working with kids and I have been sick as a dog ever since I started! In two weeks I lost 10 lbs because I was so ill, I'm a grown woman so I can only imagine what that same flu did to my babies!

Hope she's feeling better soon :-)
    ~Into the Woods

Old 02-16-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
    cb50
    (female)

cb50 HB User

let us know how she is...

Last edited by cb50; 02-16-2004 at 10:35 PM.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi hun,

I think you may want to read this. It is very interesting

Flu is caused by 3 types of influenza viruses: influenza A, B, and C. Type A is the most common. Types A and B are divided into different subtypes based on the chemical structure of the virus. These subtypes are responsible for the seasonal outbreaks of flu.

Outbreaks occur more frequently in the winter months. Many factors may play a role in this seasonal pattern:

The virus survives for longer periods indoors in winter because the relative humidity of indoor air is very low, in comparison to the outside air.

The virus may stay suspended in the air for prolonged periods and thus infect others by being inhaled. The virus droplets can also infect by landing on sensitive body areas such as the eyes, nose, or mouth.

In winter, humans tend to be indoors more and thus have closer contact with each other, which makes it easier for the virus to spread.

Flu outbreaks are classified as epidemics (occurring in a set geographical area) or pandemics (a worldwide occurrence).

Influenza is a highly contagious disease. The virus is spread when you either inhale infected droplets in the air (spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes) or when you come in direct contact with an infected personís secretions (for example, by kissing, sharing of handkerchiefs and other items, and through use of objects such as spoons and forks). Touching smooth surfaces such as doorknobs, handles, and telephones are other ways to transfer the virus to your hands, which invariably makes contact with the nose or mouth and where the virus gets absorbed.

It also says a person with the flu is contagious for up to 3-5 days. There is a medication you can take that is prescribed by your doctor called Flumadine. My oldest daughter caught the flu the end of last year with a temp of 103. She was sick for a whole week. The doctor told me it was too late to take the flu shot because we were already in contact, so he gave me and my youngest daughter Flumadine and we never caught it. No acing, fever, or anything. You may want to talk to your doctor about it. It can help the whole family out.

Good Luck,
    Chantel

Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User

Thanks so much to all of you, I appreciate all the information. She is home now and doing much better

Old 02-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellie2
    Thanks so much to all of you, I appreciate all the information. She is home now and doing much better

I'm so glad to hear she is doing better. That flu this year was pretty bad. I will be taking the flu shot early next year

Chantel

Closed Thread