It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• anyone know what connective tissue disease is?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
    bridgetngou

bridgetngou HB User
    Question anyone know what connective tissue disease is?

I found out recently that I may have connective tissue disease. Well I dont know what it is but I do know that it is painful. I just want to know if there is anyone out there suffering from the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User
    Re: anyone know what connective tissue disease is?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bridgetngou
    I found out recently that I may have connective tissue disease. Well I dont know what it is but I do know that it is painful. I just want to know if there is anyone out there suffering from the same thing.
    "Connective Tissue Disease" is a rather broad diagnosis.

There are many diseases, most of them very rare, which may involve the joints but which primarily affect other organs. The cause of these diseases is not known, but in all of them the immune system seems to be activated and cause damage to different organs in the body.These include:

Lupus
    Scleroderma
    Vasculitis
    Myositis

Which one did the doctor say you have? If they didn't tell you, you should ask so that you know how to treat it.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
    bridgetngou

bridgetngou HB User

He is still doing tests to see what is going on. I just had an endoscopy done last week and found that I am not digesting my food it just sits in my stomach. On Wednesday they are doing a test to see which foods digest and which ones dont. right now i am on clear liquids and some soft foods. they told me that if I have to chew it then dont eat it. I just wish I knew what was going on.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
    He is still doing tests to see what is going on. I just had an endoscopy done last week and found that I am not digesting my food it just sits in my stomach. On Wednesday they are doing a test to see which foods digest and which ones dont. right now i am on clear liquids and some soft foods. they told me that if I have to chew it then dont eat it. I just wish I knew what was going on.
    Are you by chance diabetic? Have they mentioned "Gastroparesis"?

Gastroparesis is the failure of the stomach to empty because of decreased gastric motility. Normally, your stomach contracts slowly to squeeze solid food into small particles. Your stomach pushes these compressed solids and liquids into the small bowel. With gastroparesis, the stomach is paralyzed, so its function is greatly reduced or lost. Because the stomach isn’t moving the food into the small bowel, it stays in the stomach longer than normal.

Gastroparesis is one of the common gastrointestinal complications of diabetes. People with scleroderma, those on anticholinergic medications commonly used for treatment of conditions such as asthma and Parkinson’s disease, and those who have had surgery (vagotomy) for treatment of a duodenal ulcer may also suffer from gastroparesis.

The major causes are diabetes, vagotomy, gastric resection, and use of anticholinergic medications. For most patients the cause is unknown.

Typical symptoms of gastroparesis include nausea, frequent and uncontrollable vomiting, abdominal bloating, feeling of immediate fullness upon eating, and loss of appetite. In patients with diabetes, frequent vomiting can cause dehydration, which can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, a toxic build-up of chemical compounds in the blood that can lead to coma in patients with diabetes. Prolonged vomiting can also make the lining of the stomach bleed. Vomiting usually occurs after meals. People with gastroparesis usually vomit undigested food eaten anywhere from 8 to 24 hours earlier. Some patients experience days of nausea, bloating, and little appetite, but no vomiting.

To accurately diagnose gastroparesis, your doctor may order tests that include an upper-gastrointestinal (GI) series of x-rays or a gastroscopy (gastricemptying study), which allows the doctor to look into the stomach with a scope to measure the ability of your stomach to empty food.

*the above couresty of a google search for Gastroparesis*

Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
    bridgetngou

bridgetngou HB User
    Cool Re: anyone know what connective tissue disease is?

They are getting ready to do the test to see the capacity in my stomach to digest. I will do that on Wednesday. Thanks for the info, I may talk to the doc about all of this.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
    Has your Doc talked to you about the possibility of having Fibromyalgia? If this is the case, there is a whole message board on that topic here. I hope what ever you have, your Doc supports you and treats you well. Being in constent pain is, to say the least, devastating. Good luck and Good health!

Old 04-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
    bridgetngou

bridgetngou HB User

Well I just thought that i would keep everyone posted on what was going on. I found out that i have IBS. I am on my way to the neurologist to see it that i what is causing all of this to be like this. I will let everyone know when i find something out.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
    bridgetngou

bridgetngou HB User

Just thought that I would keep everyone posted on what is going on. Monday I have my EMG and then Wednesday I have my MRI. I am also being tested for Lupus. And I also may have cervical cancer. I go to the gynacologist next week for that and to get the biopsy done for that. I've got soo much going on it isnt funny. Well I will keep everyone posted on what is going on.

Bridgetngou

Closed Thread