It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• dad snoring, keeping me up every night help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
    bob1988

bob1988 HB User
    dad snoring, keeping me up every night help!

my dad snores every night it keeps me up it keeps my mum up probably the people next door aswell.

its so loud its getting unbearable then when you wake him up he moans at you, 2 minutes later he is snoring again.

does anybody have any tips,websites anything that might HELP!

somebody please help you would be doing me and my family a big favour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
    suzitwo
    Inactive

suzitwo HB User
    Re: dad snoring, keeping me up every night help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bob1988
    my dad snores every night it keeps me up it keeps my mum up probably the people next door aswell.

its so loud its getting unbearable then when you wake him up he moans at you, 2 minutes later he is snoring again.

does anybody have any tips,websites anything that might HELP!

somebody please help you would be doing me and my family a big favour
    Oh my sympathies, there are loads of things available on the market but to help your dad you have to find out what kind of snorer he is .[removed]

I use earplugs every night

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 03-18-2004 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Do not post websites without Moderator 1's approval.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Your father may have what they call "sleep apnea", which, apart from disturbing everyone else around him, can in some circumstances cause serious health problems, hypertension being one of them. Here's a link to MEDLINE (permission from moderators to post here) which is one of the National Institutes of Health websites. It has an enormous amount of info on snoring and apnea from various sources for you.

[url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?DISAMBIGUATION=true&FUNCTION=searc h&SERVER2=server2&SERVER1=server1&PARAME TER=sleep+apnea[/url]

Good luck!

zuzu xx

Old 03-17-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

mY FATHER SNORED LIKE A TRAIN HE WOULD SHAKE THE WINDOWS AND WALLS I WOULD CHERISH THE MOMENT TO LOOSE SLLEP OVER LISTENING TO HIS SNORES CHERISH YOUR FATHER AND LEARN TO TONE OUT THE SOUNDS .

Old 03-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

Your father might have sleep apnea. This his where is throat closes up and he stops breathing while sleeping. A lot of people develop sleep apnea if they are over weight. My husband has it and he is slim.

Have his doctor authorize him to go to a sleep clinic. He will have to spend the night (lucky for you and your mom) where they will monitor him. Along with my husband snoring, he would stop breathing 18 times and hour causing him to turn over each time. The sheets on the bed would be a disaster in the morning.

My husband was given a breathing machine at night, which he refuses to use. Sleep apnea can lead to heart problems and stroke, so encourage your dad to go get checked out. It took my husband at least five years before he would go.

Good luck and I totally sympathize with not getting a good nights sleep.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
    Mara

My sympathy's. An issue close to my heart. Here it is in the early hours, the migraine medicine has me up as has what I endearingly and lovingly term the buzz saw or tree trimmer For your dad, he could use a humidifier during the winter months, not eat too close to bedtime, breathright strips, menthol vapor rub on collarbone.

For you and your mom, go to the nearest music store and buy the best grade, highest decibel absorbing ear plugs you can get your hands on They are foam and mold to your ears and the only real way to get sleep aside from relocation. That or shooting range gun ear muffs. Seriously, it's all I can do to get some z's myself.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

bob1988--Just wanted to hi, and that I can sympathize. I don't know if you saw it, but I posted on here a few days ago about my husband's snoring. He just started a few days ago, and it's already driving me nuts. Both of my parents snore loud too, especially my mom. WHen I lived with her, I slept in the basement and sometimes I could hear her upstairs snoring. So I understand how frustrating it can be.

delrae4753--I certainly agree you have to cherish your loved ones. I love my husband more than anything. But at the same time, not being able to get a good night's rest can have serious affects on your health. While we understand it is not the snorer's fault they are doing it, those of us who listen to it need to find ways to cope.

Anyways, sorry I don't have any advice, cause I am in the same boat as you! Good luck!

Closed Thread